UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 12th Nov 2018, 7:47 am   #61
dsergeant
Heptode

Default Re: Which Scientist on the new 50 Note?

Jocelyn Bell-Burnell is still alive so doesn't qualify under the rules. My personal feeling is that it should be somebody from 50 years ago or more, not recent, and also somebody who is reasonably well known to the general public. Sadly there are not that many well known women scientists from those times.
dsergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2018, 9:28 am   #62
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Even with male scientists, the number that are well known to the public is quite small, and then if you subtract those who have already been on a banknote...

Well known to the general public means TV documentaries, films, news. These seem to be the only routes to public awareness.

Perhaps the banknote should be seen as an opportunity to educate the general public (well, those who can afford to use 50 notes) about a scientist they ought to have known about.

While we're at it, let's take a sledgehammer to glass ceilings and gender typecasting. Let it become quite OK for young lasses to have things even if they're not coloured bright pink. Having knowledge and the ability to do things has to be respected, not written off as 'geeky'.
Problems have to be fixed at their source, or else they will keep recurring.

David
Old 12th Nov 2018, 12:12 pm   #63
Panrock
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
While we're at it, let's take a sledgehammer to glass ceilings and gender typecasting. Let it become quite OK for young lasses to have things even if they're not coloured bright pink. Having knowledge and the ability to do things has to be respected, not written off as 'geeky'.
Problems have to be fixed at their source, or else they will keep recurring

Don't worry, that 'sledgehammer' has been wielded by our PC broadcast media for years now, to the extent it's becoming tiresome. An earlier form of gender role restriction has been replaced by another. Women can now only be shown as 'strong', dominant and in command, rather than in a full range of roles from eminent scientist right through to traditional home maker/feminine (or if you like: 'pink'). In my opinion, people should feel free to take on whatever role makes them most happy and intellectual attainment is not the only thing that should be celebrated.

Steve
Panrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Nov 2018, 2:28 pm   #64
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Exactly!

I'm for the removal of barriers and restrictive expectations. Let people make their own, free choices. It's the freedom that's important. Probably some fields will still show a gender imbalance, but if it's the freely expressed preference of the genders involved, then things are alright. Pressure and compulsion are what is wrong.

Applying pressure or restrictions to 'correct' a perceived imbalance is just plain wrong too.

In a field where there is an imbalance, I'd like to be sure that it is due to the free choice of the people concerned.

I ride horses, and that's a field where females outnumber males. But I can report I've met no barriers and no pressures against it. The vast vast majority of competitions are open to riders of either gender. The imbalance is real, but has no upsetting causes. Why can't more things be like this?

David
Old 12th Nov 2018, 5:54 pm   #65
Brigham
Heptode

Hilda studied Chemistry under Dorothy Hodgkin?
I didn't know that.
Brigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2018, 12:54 am   #66
McMurdo
Dekatron

I voted for RV Jones, bit of a hero of mine. If 'no-one's heard of him' is a reason not to have him then how come Adam Smith is on the 20? Er..famous scottish economist? Really?
Old 13th Nov 2018, 7:02 am   #67
Bazz4CQJ
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I voted for RV Jones, bit of a hero of mine.
Believe he was predicting German rockets when his boss (Lindeman?) wouldn't hear of it?

B
Old 13th Nov 2018, 2:47 pm   #68
Richard_FM
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I voted for RV Jones, bit of a hero of mine. If 'no-one's heard of him' is a reason not to have him then how come Adam Smith is on the 20? Er..famous scottish economist? Really?
I hadn't heard of him before the 20 note was revised.

Same with Elizabeth Fry who used to be on the 5 note.