UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2018, 7:12 pm   #1
Valvepower
Octode

Default Revox F36

Hi,

Having a tidy-up and de-clutter does have its advantages as you find stuff you’d long forgotten about as I’ve unearthed an early 60’s Revox F36 valve tape recorder. Doesn’t seem in too bad ‘a condition, but it does show signs of being stored in a shed for a few years though, so it’ll need some serious TLC – not had look at the heads yet.

I’ve found a couple of posts on the forum about restoring a F36 and on the back of these it’ll be a ‘keeper’ and in the not too distant future it would be nice to have a go at it.

Let’s hope the EMM801 is OK

Regards
Terry
Old 23rd May 2018, 8:00 pm   #2
Telegraph-Hill
Triode

Default Re: Revox F36

Let's hope the Heads are ok
Old 25th May 2018, 2:57 pm   #3
SteveCG
Nonode

Terry, I wonder if you could answer a simple question please. Does the F36 take 10 inch spools or can it take 10.5 inch spools?
Old 25th May 2018, 3:34 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

A-F36 are 10", G36 is 10 1/2", with a tension switch for different size hubs. One cunning...fellow on an auction site shows an F36 with NAB hubs and reels - these are either Photoshopped or custom made reel plates.
Old 25th May 2018, 7:20 pm   #5
captainpugwash
Hexode

I have an F36 too and have seen the same ad. with the metal reels and NAB hubs.

I did at one point consider having some 10.5” reels turned down to 10” but then I thought just use the plastic ones I have.

I have seen 10” metal NAB reels on that well known auction site but at eye watering prices.

If you need a couple of 10” plastic reels drop me a pm.

Regards,

David
Old 26th May 2018, 8:42 am   #6
red16v
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpugwash View Post
I have an F36 too and have seen the same ad. with the metal reels and NAB hubs.

I did at one point consider having some 10.5” reels turned down to 10” but then I thought just use the plastic ones I have.

I have seen 10” metal NAB reels on that well known auction site but at eye watering prices.

If you need a couple of 10” plastic reels drop me a pm.

Regards,

David
May I ask why these reels are so expensive, are they in short supply and hence a rarity?
Old 26th May 2018, 10:14 am   #7
SteveCG
Nonode

Thanks for the answer folks - my grey cell has not failed just yet!

My understanding was/is that 10" spools are rare - I can't say I remember seeing any adverts for them even back in the 1970s; although it was a couple of decades ago that I was told of some Revox machines that would only take 10 inch spools.

Rather like BASF's 8 3/4 inch spool which would not fit a Ferrograph Series 7 tape recorder (max size 8 1/4 inch), where I had also puzzled over which machines used this size (8 3/4 inch) of spool...
Old 26th May 2018, 11:06 am   #8
barrymagrec
Octode

There were a number of odd size spools around in the fifties - I seem to remember that the Leevers Rich model C recorder used up to 9 inch spools.

Early EMI test tapes came on a 7 1/4 inch platter and I think I may have an 8 inch NAB spool somewhere.
Old 26th May 2018, 2:50 pm   #9
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

8 3/4 was the capacity of the Telefunken M23/24 and Braun TG1000. Major advantage over the Ferrograph 8 1/4 was the larger hub, which benefitted wow at the end of the reel.
Closed Thread