UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2019, 10:30 am   #1
MrVa1ve
Tetrode

Default Radio Identification 60s/70s Transistor Radio (Ferranti PT1030)

Hi, My grandad passed away recently after 100 happy years and the family have been sorting through his belongings. One of the items that caught my eye was this old transistor radio that I remember from my youth. He'd kept it after all these years and I (foolishly?) offered to restore it or at the very least make it work.

Unfortunately, there are absolutely no markings anywhere on the case that I can see. It's in poor condition; the worms have been at it (and look like they may still be at it) and the dial markings are literally peeling away. I'll be happy just to halt its decline to be honest.

Does anyone recognize the brand/model? It looks like a Bush with the metal band across the front and the metal grill. But I can't find an exact match.

Also, I bought some permethrin in the form of ant killer treatment and I was planning to mix this with water and dunk the case into it. I'm not sure that's the right thing to do? Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20190827_085822.jpeg.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	188967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20190827_085900.jpeg.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	188968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20190827_085935.jpeg.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	188969  
Old 27th Aug 2019, 10:41 am   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio Identification 60s/70s Transistor Radio

It looks a bit to me like a 'Stella' a Philips offshoot, can't be sure though.

Peter
Old 27th Aug 2019, 10:54 am   #3
paulsherwin

It may be a special for the Irish market. Both Pye and Philips had significant manufacturing operations in the Republic and did produce unique models tailored to Irish conditions. You may find some manufacturer info inside the battery compartment or on the circuit board.

It's unlikely to be a very complex set internally, though it may use the dreaded AF117 transistors. Search the forum for lots of threads about those.

You can get rid of any active woodworm by putting the radio in a freezer for a couple of days, though this doesn't always kill all the eggs. You can buy purpose designed woodworm killer which poisons the wood. There are lots of threads about woodworm if you search.
Old 27th Aug 2019, 10:57 am   #4
FIXITNOW
Octode

looks much like a Ekco BPT351
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0180.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	188970  
Old 27th Aug 2019, 10:59 am   #5
paulsherwin

Well spotted: https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ekco_bpt351bpt_35.html
Old 27th Aug 2019, 11:17 am   #6
MrVa1ve
Tetrode

Fixit, you're a star! That's why I love this site. I'm not even going to ask how you managed to spot the model so fast.

@Paul, you're right Pye, Bush and Philips were very popular in the west of Ireland back in the day and I looked at those brands first.

Great to have a schematic! By the way, what's the best way to salvage that peeling dial print. Obviously, what's gone is gone, but could you coat what's left in some kind of fixative to halt the peeling or is it beyond redemption?
Old 27th Aug 2019, 11:56 am   #7
FIXITNOW
Octode

got one in Red, I had to ask here as mine was also missing the Ekco Label as yours is but mine has a plastic grill where yours has a metal one

also came as Ferranti PT1030
Old 27th Aug 2019, 12:01 pm   #8
paulsherwin

The best approach is usually to remove the dial glass and scan it with a scanner. You can then use photo editing software to repair damage and replace missing text. Then print out the image using paper, transparent plastic or waterslide transfer material as appropriate. People have achieved amazing results with this method.

If you're very lucky you may be able to find a scan of an intact scale on the net somewhere.
Old 27th Aug 2019, 12:35 pm   #9
Restoration73
Nonode

The inverted scale allows the set to be used in a car in the glove box - there is a car
aerial socket. You may find back lighting the dial during the scan improves matters.
Old 27th Aug 2019, 12:39 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

Looks like the old man was a smoker! I guess those burns are part of the set's history though, rather than something to try to restore.

Other than dried out electrolytics and dirty switch contacts I would expect it to work more or less as it is. There's no AF11x nasties to worry about, the earlier OC series are generally pretty reliable.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 27th Aug 2019, 12:49 pm   #11
FIXITNOW
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVa1ve View Post
By the way, what's the best way to salvage that peeling dial print. Obviously, what's gone is gone, but could you coat what's left in some kind of fixative to halt the peeling or is it beyond redemption?
I would scan it first just in case then try a very fine mist coat of clear lacquer (from say half a meter away so as not to blow about what's loose) With this over what's left of the dial ,then let it dry and if ok more mist coats if lucky it will not run and a few coats should hold the rest in place
Old 27th Aug 2019, 2:02 pm   #12
MrVa1ve
Tetrode

That's a clever approach Paul. Looks like I need to decide whether to replace or fix(ate). I'm guessing Fixit's lacquer treatment would make replacement difficult at a later date.

Herald, he was a smoker in his youth in common with men of his generation. But he quit many years ago, which probably explains his longevity. His weakness was the odd fried breakfast (the morning after a feed of beer) and I wonder if the top of that radio formed a nice perch for a hot egg flip or poker.
Old 27th Aug 2019, 2:08 pm   #13
livewireless123
Tetrode

It's a Ferranti PT 1030 I have had one of these since the early 60s .
It's described in the 'red books' series r&tv servicing 1960-61. page 122.
mine just about still works but the dial is peeling just like yours.
I seem to remember paying fifty bob, £2.50 for it second hand.
I had started working as a 'sparks' then and another guy wanted a few quid to go to the dogs at White city Manchester. it's the first transistor radio I owned
first of many many more, the things seem to breed.

PREVIOUS USER NAME- MIKE G3ZII
Old 27th Aug 2019, 3:20 pm   #14
toshiba tony
Heptode

I never thought I'd get old enough to have trouble identifying transistor radios but this one got me. I know most of the Perdio, Bush and Ferranti range with the Band Spread and trawler bands. Perhaps dementia enhances and wakes up times of years ago. Then again I must realise we are of differing ages, I see people that dont even recognise a VHS tape cassette. But what a radio, does it run?
Old 27th Aug 2019, 6:40 pm   #15
MrVa1ve
Tetrode

You guys know an awful lot more than I do and for that I'm grateful. Now,...time to get the worms out!
Old 28th Aug 2019, 4:43 pm   #16
Dave757
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewireless123 View Post
It's a Ferranti PT 1030 I have had one of these since the early 60s.
Hi,

Yes I have had my PT1030 for some years now, and I had the same identification problem.
Similarly, some kind person on this Forum identified mine too!

Mine's not in bad condition, - just a bit grubby, but I haven't used it in a long time,- must fire it up again.

Kind regards

Dave
G0ELJ
Closed Thread