UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Old 12th Oct 2018, 10:09 am   #1
Fizzingtelevision
Triode

Default New old stock boxed and unopened 60's television

Hi
I have a new old stock early 1960's GEC television which is unopened, i had it in my packaging museum but i don't have space for it now and i hope that it could go to a television collector that would appreciate it as is and not be tempted to open it as it would defeat the whole point of having it as it is.

This is one of a pair of NOS that i brought a few years ago. The other one someone had opened and my father has this. Ill get some pictures of this set from him.
It is designed as a dual standard set but as Ireland had switched earlier than the UK to 625 line it is only 625.

It is in southern Ireland and as it was made here it would be nice to keep it here but i would be willing to help out someone who wanted it in the uk.

How often do new old stock sets turn up!

I am looking for 250 for it.

Regards
Grahame
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7327.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	170739   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7324.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	170740   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7325.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	170741   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7328.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	170742   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7322.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	170743  

Fizzingtelevision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2018, 12:44 pm   #2
terrykc
Hexode

Default Re: New old stock boxed and unopened 60's television

The model number appears to be GT868E but a web search produces no results, which begs the question of exactly what is inside the box!

The first 19" models were released in late 1961, just before Telefis Eireann started transmissions the following January.

Although mainly a VHF 625-line service, some areas of Eire had been receiving British TV from transmitters both in Wales and Ulster for several years and in August 1961, a Bush dealer in Drogheda was selling the TV96, the fringe area version of the TV95 - all the VHF aerials around pointed north of course.

Because of the large numbers of 405-line receivers already in use, Telefis Eireann also provided 405-line transmitters for these areas.

This begs the question of whether the set in the box is 405-line, 625-line or dual standard?

As the Divis BBC2 transmitter didn't enter service until 1967 at the end of the 19" tube era, I don't think that any set made in the Republic would have been fitted with a UHF tuner (was there much UHF coverage of the Republic?).

So, the question remains - what, exactly, is in the box?

I'm not interested in buying this set, just curious, but it might be important to anyone else who is considering it.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 1:15 pm   #3
Richard_FM
Hexode

Very interesting I didn't know GEC made sets in Ireland for a start.

I presume it was surplus stock that remained unsold & left in a storeroom for years.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 1:21 pm   #4
ionburn
Hexode

Is it just me that does not see any point of buying something you will never see? With all due repect I would advise anyone contemplating to get at least an Xray of the contents before buying an unknown quantity.
ionburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2018, 1:44 pm   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

We will get a picture of the set's twin as the OP says. I also didn't know GEC had an Irish factory - I knew Bush and Pye did.
I'm fascinated as to the history of how a set never came to be sold. As Richard says, I assume it was left at the back of a warehouse and forgotten about. I've seen several faulty ones that were dead on arrival, swapped out but never collected, but clearly this one has never been opened. Strange!
Old 12th Oct 2018, 1:56 pm   #6
dseymo1
Dekatron

Cancelled order perhaps, kept in anticipation of a new request which never materialised?
dseymo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2018, 3:43 pm   #7
Richard_FM
Hexode

It's interesting that a retailer would just put aside something that would have cost a fair amount even at wholesale prices, & somehow didn't show up during stock takes.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 3:50 pm   #8
PsychMan
Octode

Im not sure what is more awful, buying it and then opening it to play with, or buying it and never opening

It's a tough one, if I was in a position to buy it I would have to upset many and open it up, reform the caps, and apply power

Keeping all packaging of course..
PsychMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2018, 4:03 pm   #9
Boulevardier
Tetrode

Afraid I'm with Ionburn (1.21pm) on this one - sounds a bit like a Banksey art enterprise - has anyone checked for built-in shredder or detonator?
Boulevardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2018, 4:08 pm   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

It is a fake! Sorry,though I would at least open if not lift out just to see it.There again at that point I might run it up on a variac!!

I have a Band 3 converter here and by the look of it and the cable it has never been used or had a plug on it.

The case looks like a cream Maestro type or similar.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 4:24 pm   #11
Restoration73
Octode

It seems to be sealed with gummed paper tape. The least destructive method of opening
would to open it from the bottom using, say, a wallpaper steamer. The top can be left
intact and more attractive to the buyer.
Restoration73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2018, 4:28 pm   #12
G4YVM David
Hexode

Imagine if it's actually bundles of notes from the Great Train Robbery. Probably worth more as iconic items than they ever were as cash...

As it stands...Schrodinger's telly.
David
G4YVM David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2018, 4:44 pm   #13
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

A Leica camera in it's sealed box was x-rayed to prove what was in there. Me, I would open it.
Old 12th Oct 2018, 4:52 pm   #14
Ted Kendall
Octode

This has echoes of the situation with A3 Pacifics - The Flying Scotsman will be rebuilt ad infinitum, finances permitting, whilst originality considerations dictate that its sister sits mouldering in the York museum to preserve originality. But what is the point of any engineering if it isn't allowed to do what it was designed to do?
Ted Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2018, 4:59 pm   #15
Boulevardier
Tetrode

Perhaps, in the aesthetic spirit of this thing, the seller would accept payment in the form of a sealed-forever cardboard box, accompanied by a photograph of 250...
Boulevardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2018, 5:11 pm   #16
linescan87
Pentode

These two sets turned up on the forum about six or seven years ago, both boxed but one box open. I don't know what happened but the thread was deleted shortly afterwards.They then turned up on adverts.ie for €300.

If it was me I'd have to open the box, but then I like everything I own to be functional.
linescan87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2018, 5:18 pm   #17
TonyDuell
Nonode

Vintage TV is not my interest so I am not going to try to get this set. But...

I'm with most people here, no way would I keep the box unopened. Yes I'd open it carefully, and I'd take photographs of the unpacking and I'd keep the box/packing. But I would want to see the set, heck, I'd want to get it working.

About 25 years ago there was a sale at a club I am a member of. One of the items was an original, rare, service manual for a piece of computer equipment. It was still in the shrinkwrap. I won the bidding for it, and then amazed just about everyone in the room by ripping off said shrinkwrap. I pointed out that I bought the manual to understand how a particular device works and how to repair it. Not to look pretty on the shelf.

I feel that engineering items (be they radios, TV sets, computers, vehicles, railway locomotives, etc) are interesting for what they do and how they work. As a result I want them to work, and I want to see them working.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2018, 5:48 pm   #18
The Philpott
Octode

These days when one of these NOS oddities turns up it is hoped that the opening ceremony ends up on youtube for general interest.

It's not suspicious per se, this scenario is more common with military stock but does happen with consumer goods. Some years ago (if memory serves) some Merlin or Griffon engines were 'discovered' crated up, loaded up with inhibiting oil... you can be sure they found good homes.

Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2018, 5:54 pm   #19
Fizzingtelevision
Triode

Thanks for the laugh, yes there is a set in it for sure, i sadly don't know the history of them as the person i got them from only brought them at an auction. My fathers set shown had a valve with lost vacuum and once that was replaced it tried to do something, but from memory the raster was all over the place and as someone mentioned it wants recapping really, at which point it isn't original anymore. There are plenty of sets that have had a life and warrant recapping and resistors changing but i dont think it's worth it for these. Whats the point in getting it going the image isnt going to be any different to another used set. And only original once.
The fun thing about this set is whilst it was designed as a dually it doesn't have any vhf bit's so the vhf aerial hole has a blanking plug and the tuning knob just goes around and around.
How they sold them like that begs belief but they did!!
The open one has it's warranty and operators manual and is pretty mint apart from a tiny bit of loss on the vacuum deposited chroming so assume the other is the same.
Regards
Grahame
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0508.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	170777   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0507.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	170778   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6043.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	170779   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6047.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	170780   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6057.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	170781  

Fizzingtelevision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Oct 2018, 6:00 pm   #20
TonyDuell
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzingtelevision View Post
...Whats the point in getting it going the image isnt going to be any different to another used set....
What is the point in storing a sealed cardboard box that is claimed to contain a television receiver. It looks much the same as any other cardboard box.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote