UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 26th Sep 2018, 5:31 pm   #1
Trikky2
Triode

Default Hi Folks.

Hi folks,

Just found this forum so thought I'd post a quick intro.

I live down on the South coast in Seaford and have been into electronics since I was a kid back in the 70's ... But never really did anything with valves and other older electronics.

A friend of mine has asked me to go through his collection (he is a bit of a hoarder rather than interested in electronics) and has quite a lot of stuff mainly from the 40's.

Have got test equipment for the newer stuff, but he had quite a few valves, so just got myself a B&K 606 tester. Am looking forward to see what I can build

All the best.

Richard
Trikky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2018, 11:33 pm   #2
Trikky2
Triode

Default Re: Hi Folks.

Forgot to mention I'm also into home computers from the 80's ... Have a collection of around 30 plus a load of accessories
Old 28th Sep 2018, 7:17 am   #3
Kevin Hoyland
Hexode

Morning Richard.
Welcome to the Forum, you will have all the help you need with your Valves from the Forum Members. Good to see a new member.

Kevin.
Kevin Hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2018, 3:13 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikky2 View Post
Forgot to mention I'm also into home computers from the 80's ... Have a collection of around 30 plus a load of accessories
There are several computer collectors here too. What have you got?

I really prefer larger machines though.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2018, 7:55 pm   #5
Trikky2
Triode

Thanks for the welcome folks

Probably be a bit quiet as reading up on Valves and such, so probably won't be able to contribute much at the moment.

As far as the old computers go, at the moment I have :

ZX-80, ZX-81, Timex 1000, Spectrum 48, Spectrum +, Spectrum +2, QL, Z88, TI99/4a, CPC 464, NC100, 520st, 800xl, Electron, BBC B, Vic 20, Commodor 64, Amiga 500, TRS-80, HX 10 MSX, HC-7GB,Alpha Tamtel, Epson PX-4

But have run out of room so thinking of just keeping the Sinclair stuff.

All the best.

Richard
Old 4th Oct 2018, 7:16 pm   #6
Pamphonica
Octode

Welcome from me as well, but we already "met" via PM. Those valve boxes should keep you busy testing and boxing for a bit. Do remember to actually use some of those valves, not just count them!
1940s radios are surprisingly easy to restore and usually nice to work on.
All the best
Jeremy

Pamphonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2018, 10:46 pm   #7
Trikky2
Triode

Hi Jeremy and thanks for the boxes Am new to this old stuff and am now on the lookout for any local old valve radios / amplifiers just to play around with .... Don't want to destroy anything expensive.
There is a shop just round from me that deals in house clearances, once I've read up a bit more might drop in and see if there is anything interesting
Have also been looking up some basic valve amps, just in case I come across some of them and can build something from scratch.

All the best.

Richard
Old 5th Oct 2018, 11:39 pm   #8
Pamphonica
Octode

Excellent sources of old radios to get going on are the BVWS table sales. These comprise sellers, an auction and a bring and buy. The next one is at Royal Wootton Bassett. Quite a way from you unfortunately. But look out for the other Southern event at Harpenden, and the closest to you, Punnetts Town (no auction). And make sure you book a trip up to Warwick in May for the best of all, the National Vintage Communications Fair. Meanwhile, try shops and boot sales.
Good hunting.
Jeremy

Pamphonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2018, 12:41 am   #9
Trikky2
Triode

Thanks, just paid up to join the BVWS and will check out some of the meets. Have got some relatives in Warwick so would be an excuse to get up there .... also to just drop in on them and apologise that I can't stay as have a meeting to go to