UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2020, 12:17 pm   #1
jonnybear
Octode

Default Pye 48A from the grave to life

Living in lockdown I dug out this old 48a I was given as a wreck while having a clear out, no valves, valve bases broken, smoothing cap exploded, no dropper or dial cabinet covered in paint, was just going to scrap it when I thought rather than sitting around I will make it a little project.
Replacing valve bases with B9A using ECH81,(CCH35) EF85,(EF39) EB91, and EL90 (CBL31)Russian 9 pin
rewired recapped fitted mains transformer for heaters and whalla one working radio,the loudspeaker was OK, now to find a dial a back and strip the cabinet.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07379.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	205593   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07378.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	205594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07377.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	205595  
Old 12th May 2020, 1:43 pm   #2
rojosuiza
Tetrode

Default Re: Pye 48A from the grave to life

Nice title, good work.
Old 12th May 2020, 3:58 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Nice one! a man after my own heart , hope you find a dial .
Old 12th May 2020, 8:55 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Well done! It's going to confuse anyone who comes across it in the future trying to match it to the circuit!
Old 13th May 2020, 1:44 pm   #5
jonnybear
Octode

I have followed pretty much the same design obvious pin outs will be different,
the CBL31/EBL31 replacement using two valves is very simple you just join all the cathodes together eb91 and whatever output valve you have, will put circuit diagram (modified) in the cabinet when finished. Any way it is part of our religion to find faults and make do with what is available, I am quite surprised how well it works though SW is not brilliant.
John
Old 17th May 2020, 3:20 pm   #6
jonnybear
Octode

If anyone out there has a scan for the dial of this 48A it would be appreciated.
John
Old 25th May 2020, 6:55 pm   #7
jonnybear
Octode

Just a follow up, looking at the characteristics of the EBL31 I found the 6CH6 valve was very similar minus the diodes of course, so I thought I would give it a go and replace the EL90 Russian 9 pin for a 6CH6, the radio now has a lot more volume and gain and short wave is not so silent anymore, so if you have a faulty EBL31 it would be easy to make up a little sub chassis with a 6CH6 and EB91 and wire it to a Octal base keeping the radio authentic and working.
John
Old 25th May 2020, 8:00 pm   #8
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybear View Post
If anyone out there has a scan for the dial of this 48A it would be appreciated.
John
Well done with that! It is really nice to see a wreck saved! what size is the dial glass you need? I have a Pye dial glass with three vertical scales LW on the left MW in the middle and SW on the right. It measures 19CM wide by just a few MM short of 19CM high. I don't think it is from a 48A but if it will fit it is yours for the cost of the postage.

Rich.
Old 26th May 2020, 11:20 am   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I was wondering just how much output you would get from the EL90 just being driven just by the diode. Given you converted to 6.3V heaters, would not the higher-slope EL84 have been better?
Old 26th May 2020, 1:11 pm   #10
jonnybear
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybear View Post
John
Well done with that! It is really nice to see a wreck saved! what size is the dial glass you need? I have a Pye dial glass with three vertical scales LW on the left MW in the middle and SW on the right. It measures 19CM wide by just a few MM short of 19CM high. I don't think it is from a 48A but if it will fit it is yours for the cost of the postage.

Rich.
Hi Rich

Have just measured my destroyed glass it measures 19cm wide by 16cm tall so may fit, I will PM you many thanks.
John
Old 26th Sep 2020, 8:56 am   #11
jonnybear
Octode

Hi Rich thanks for the offer of your dial unfortunately it will not fit as it is part of a cut out in the cabinet,so still looking for a dial or scan, also looking for a
PYE baby QU mains radio, which will take me back to my childhood, all costs met.
John
Closed Thread