UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Sep 2007, 2:13 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default Pioneer PL-12D turntable maintenance

Hello,

I seem to be reliving my youth as I had one of these 30 odd years ago, my first hi-fi turntable in fact, and at Tonbridge last Sunday I got another one which is in unmarked condition, for £20. It's original cartridge/stylus is worn so I will probably replace that with an AT110E but essentially the deck is working OK.

Has anyone got a repair manual for the PL-12D please, I suspect it needs very little maintenance but it looks not to have been touched so it may be prudent to overhaul it before I put into use.

Thanks.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pioneer_PL-12D 001.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	12069  

Last edited by howard; 5th Sep 2007 at 2:19 pm.
Old 5th Sep 2007, 2:20 pm   #2
yesnaby
Octode

Default Re: Pioneer PL-12D turntable maintenance

Hello Howard,

No repair manual I'm afraid, but I think I have the original PL-12D instruction manual somewhere.

I can make you a copy if needed.

Michael
Old 5th Sep 2007, 3:05 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello Michael,

A user manual would be very useful, as I can't remember how to use the overhang checker etc. Please let me know if you manage to find it .... many thanks.

Howard
Old 5th Sep 2007, 4:59 pm   #4
yesnaby
Octode

Hello Howard,

I found the manual and have made a copy.

Please can you send me a PM with your address, then I can pop it in the post!

Michael
Old 5th Sep 2007, 6:08 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Thanks Mike,

I've sent you a PM about the user manual.

Has anyone got a repair manual or knows roughly what needs to be lubricated/cleaned/tightened on this record deck ?

Thanks.

Howard
Old 5th Sep 2007, 6:18 pm   #6
howard
Nonode

Hello again,

I've bought a service manual off eBay from the USA for £7 inclusive so this thread can be closed.

If anyone wants a copy of it when it arrives send me a PM.

Howard
Old 5th Sep 2007, 9:24 pm   #7
percival007
Heptode

Hi Howard,
a lovely straight forward turnatable you've got yourself there. Worth as much for its lid now as anything else! Not much to go wrong apart from the belt, obviously, and also watch out for the centre shaft. If you remove the platter and belt, run the side of your finger along the shaft of the centre shaft applying pressure (slight) on the opposite side of it from the motor pulley in the direction of the motor (if you understand me!). We used to get them when they would be worn at one point and you would get a "sticking point" at one place in the revolution, perhaps caused by it being left too long idle with the belt in place pulling the whole shaft/platter assembly toward the motor, that was allways my boss' theory anyway. Unfortunately the centre shaft is no longer available from Pioneer, though someone may have some. A thoroughly good clean and re-lube usually sorts it out if not too bad, and don't leave the belt on during prolongued times of innactivity. Oh, and the cartridge contacts may need a clean. Apart from that not much that some good use won't put right. Like most things, lack of use can be worse than over-use.
Cheers, Percy
Old 6th Sep 2007, 2:22 pm   #8
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by percival007 View Post
Hi Howard,
a lovely straight forward turnatable you've got yourself there. Worth as much for its lid now as anything else! Not much to go wrong apart from the belt, obviously, and also watch out for the centre shaft. .............. A thoroughly good clean and re-lube usually sorts it out if not too bad, and don't leave the belt on during prolongued times of innactivity. Oh, and the cartridge contacts may need a clean. Apart from that not much that some good use won't put right. Like most things, lack of use can be worse than over-use.
Cheers, Percy
Hello Percy,

The lid hasn't got a mark on it, remarkable for a deck this old ! I've checked the centre shaft (which I did at Tonbridge) and it seems fine, no roughness at all and indeed the platter goes around at a perfect constant speed. I did put a couple of drips of oil down a little hole under the platter as directed by the label next to it and I have removed the wiring and cleaned all contacts in the headshell. I also rebalanced the arm, repositioned the counterweight which was loose and had moved, and set the tracking weight to 1.5 grams.

Just playing Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon on it now and it sounds brilliant, it's not so worn Stanton 500 cartridge is still going strong

It's good to hear music on vinyl on one of these Pioneer decks again ..........

Howard

Last edited by howard; 6th Sep 2007 at 2:49 pm.
Old 30th Dec 2007, 1:36 pm   #9
malleson
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
Hello again,

I've bought a service manual off eBay from the USA for £7 inclusive so this thread can be closed.

If anyone wants a copy of it when it arrives send me a PM.

Howard
Howard,
I would appreciate a copy if possible. Also, my PL-12D doesn't have a cover. Would you have any idea where I could get one from?

Malleson
Old 30th Dec 2007, 3:17 pm   #10
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Pioneer PL-12D turntable maintenance

I had a PL-112 version of this, a slightly later model I believe and it was excellent, it had to be assembled out of the box. I fitted a Shure M75ED to it which gave a superb performance.

I now have a Pioneer PL-760 direct drive with its own Pioneer cartridge and Pioneer SA-760 Amp.

Your deck was a great find, I hope you get lots of pleasure from it (the Shure cartridge would be my choice!). For maintenance just a drop of light machine oil on the bearings, motor and pivot points should be all that is required, and redistribute any grease that is already on the mechanism.
Old 1st Jan 2008, 8:39 pm   #11
matthewhouse
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
The lid hasn't got a mark on it,
Just remember not to leave any cables/flexes on the lid as they will eventually melt themselves into it as the lid reacts with the PVC. That is certainly what has happened on the one I have here.
Old 1st Jan 2008, 11:10 pm   #12
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by malleson View Post
Howard,
I would appreciate a copy if possible. Also, my PL-12D doesn't have a cover. Would you have any idea where I could get one from?

Malleson
Hello Malleson,

Send me a PM please and I'll send you a copy. I need your email address. Sorry, no idea where a replacement lid can be obtained other than from another scrap PL-12D if you can find one.

Howard
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 8:17 pm   #13
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Howard,

I was taking the garden rubbish to the recycling centre (aka the tip) this morning and whilst I was unloading my car I noticed a nice looking turntable, and looking at the pictures on this thread I believe it's a PIONEER PL-12D. It was in good condition and was only £2 so I thought I'd give it a go.

I haven't tried using it yet because the wife doesn't want it in the house - it's sitting in the garage but I'm going to clean it up and give it a go (although I haven't got any speakers). I'll post a photo once cleaner.

I would appriciate any manuals/data you have so I can give it a good service. If it doesn't work i'll give it away for parts.

Would also like to know what an overhang checker is and how to use it?

Many thanks,

Matt (Please PM me for my email address)

Last edited by mcourtman; 2nd Jan 2008 at 8:26 pm.
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 8:27 pm   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcourtman View Post
although I haven't got any speakers...
If yours really is a PL-12D, you would need an AMPLIFIER too, but these are readily available secondhand too.

I'd be amazed if yours isn't repairable... assuming it's not been damaged at the tip.

Nick.
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 10:20 pm   #15
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Just spent the last hour and a half cleaning up my bargin purchase and it's scrubbed up really well, including the lid. I have attached 4 photos.

It is a Pioneer PL-12D turntable and it has a Shure ED T2 cartridge fitted, only thing is it doesn't have a belt so I cant test it. Any idea where I could obtain one of these?

Not really sure why I brought this but I couldn't just leave it sitting at the tip.

Thanks,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	898
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	14278   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	955
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	14279   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	667
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	14280   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	635
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	14281  
Old 3rd Jan 2008, 4:28 pm   #16
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Just spent the last hour and a half cleaning up my bargin purchase and it's scrubbed up really well, including the lid. I have attached 4 photos.

It is a Pioneer PL-12D turntable and it has a Shure ED T2 cartridge fitted, only thing is it doesn't have a belt so I cant test it. Any idea where I could obtain one of these?

Not really sure why I brought this but I couldn't just leave it sitting at the tip.

Thanks,

Matt
nice one matt wow! that one scrubbed up a charm. and the cart is a shure m75ed type ii, very fine cart and you can replace the stylus with a cheaper, more common m75/6 [useful if you want to play rougher records, say!]

you will need to use a piece of string to measure the length of the original belt. once thats done, these belt are readily available online. good luck and nice work!
Old 4th Jan 2008, 2:30 am   #17
ben
Dekatron

as luck would have it just stumbled on this:
http://www.retrohifi.co.uk/pioneer_pl12d.html
Old 4th Jan 2008, 7:35 pm   #18
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that Ben. I've got a replacement belt from eBay and it works fine. Only problem is, as Nick pointed out, I need an amplifier.

One question though:
In my front room I have an Aiwa Hi-Fi that I purchased in the 90's. It's an all-in-one unit with a Aiwa PX-E855 turntable on top - I removed the turntable and connected the Pioneer PL-12D turntable to it but even with the volume up quite high I only got a quiet output. My question is why does the Aiwa turntable play loudly but the Pioneer play quietly. Is there a 'pre-amp' somewhere in the Aiwa?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 4th Jan 2008, 7:54 pm   #19
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
.... - I removed the turntable and connected the Pioneer PL-12D turntable to it but even with the volume up quite high I only got a quiet output. My question is why does the Aiwa turntable play loudly but the Pioneer play quietly. Is there a 'pre-amp' somewhere in the Aiwa?
chances are the deck which came with the midi system used a cheap ceramic cartridge which has a higher output and allows the manufacturers to save a bit on preamplification. likely it is a ubiquitous fig. 9 or 10 off this attached list... you will need a preamp to use your pl12 with that amp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cARTRIDGES_op_575x800.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	14305   Click image for larger version

Name:	A_P188.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	14306   Click image for larger version

Name:	A_P190.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	14307  

Last edited by ben; 4th Jan 2008 at 8:13 pm.
Old 4th Jan 2008, 9:37 pm   #20
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Hi Howard,
I would appriciate any manuals/data you have so I can give it a good service. If it doesn't work i'll give it away for parts.
Would also like to know what an overhang checker is and how to use it?
Many thanks,
Matt (Please PM me for my email address)
Hello Matt,

Send me your Email address via a forum PM and I'll send copies of both the
PL-12D manuals that I have here.

New belts for the PL-12D can be found on eBay for £6-£7 inclusive.

Howard
Closed Thread