UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2018, 9:46 pm   #1
Techman
Dekatron

Default Trio TS-510

Just picked this up today (lot 24) from the local surplus/junk sale for a tenner. It's missing its all important power supply, which would incorporate the four HT rails and two heater lines, and I think also a speaker. I've seen this transceiver at several previous sales, although I don't remember it at the last one, but it always had a silly reserve on it, so wasn't sold - until today!

I don't have any particular plans for it, but thought it would make a good companion for the Trio JR-310 that I was given some time ago and featured in this thread -
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=129787
or would at least donate spares for for this receiver, as they seem to share a lot of similarities, being of similar age.

There'll be no chance of finding a connecting lead with that Jones plug, so it'll have to be hard wired to the appropriate power sources. The pictures were taken just after I got it in the house and show the 'as found' condition - and yes, that is a spiders egg nest on the ledge at the bottom of the front panel! Inside, it looks like that front board with the single valve is some sort of modification. I was pleased to note that the missing 'plate' knob was lurking in the corner on top of this board. I can see why it isn't fitted to the plate control shaft, as it's too short for the grub screw to grip, so guessing that the 'inner' shaft has some sort of adjustment for length within the PA cage.

I've not done any more with it yet since taking the pictures, other than give the front panel a good clean. There's another modification in the shape of the knob to the left of the on-off volume control at the bottom of the front panel. This knob is 'solid', but I haven't yet investigated what it does or why it's there. The two knobs seem to be non-original. I'll give it a thorough clean and blow out outside once this rain stops.

Pictures as found/bought:-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110470.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	164000   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110471.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	164001   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110472.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	164002   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110473.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	164003   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110474.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	164004  

Old 3rd Jun 2018, 5:33 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Trio TS-510

That power connector looks like a standard 12 pin 'Miniature Jones' (that is not the correct term, but it's often called that) and I would be _very_ surprised if you can't get a socket to fit it...
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 6:22 am   #3
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I have a suitable connector here for the power lead if you need one
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 8:42 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
I have a suitable connector here for the power lead if you need one
Yes please Sean, I'll send you a PM. I'll post another closer picture of the plug on the radio below for definite confirmation of what it looks like.

It's had a lot of mods done, with lots of both dried up and sticky tape, obviously done many years ago before heat-shrink.

That non-original board has a circuit with a small chip and the valve is a ?CL82 (number rubbed off) with just the heater connected, obviously to keep the series circuit with the second valve - I'll check the heater resistance and compare it with a ECL82 to confirm type.

Lots of cobwebs in the TX output cage, indicating that the unit hasn't been used for years, probably decades. Looked better after a little clean, the valves look like replacements, being National 8298A types, made in U.S.A.

There was a length of what looked like basket weave in the band switch, why it was there is a mystery, it wasn't touching anything, but had to have been put there purposely, as it wasn't that easy to remove.

The knob found inside is definitely the correct style for the Trio, but has a larger (standard) shaft socket size, so although it fits and works (shaft length adjusted), it runs slightly eccentrically to the rear 'load' knob.

The extra front panel knob is a three position Yaxley switch which seems to be connected with the mic input circuit.

This set really has had a LOT of work done on it in the distant past.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110477.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	164025   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110485.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	164026   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110486.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	164027   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110491.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	164028   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110490.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	164029  

Old 3rd Jun 2018, 10:03 pm   #5
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I will check the connector tomorrow evening, but am 99% sure the ones I have are configured like that