UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2011, 9:49 pm   #41
qualityten
Octode

Default Re: What vintage turntable?

Yes, these are all heavy platter Lencos that can rightly be called "transcription turntables". There is a good 'quick and dirty' history of these decks here: http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=13.0

OTOH, some auction sellers like to add words like "transcription" just to help sell a turntable. Not all tts qualify.
Old 5th Mar 2011, 12:26 pm   #42
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Thanks all/David for clearing that up.Out of all the recommendations for the OP,the GL75 etc gets my vote.In terms of affordability,build quality etc.Thats after doing a bit of research and wotnot.
The only turntables/decks Ive owned at present have all been Japanese,apart from an early Amstrad,before they went cheap and crap.It was a plank of wood,platter,arm etc.Very simple,sounded great,Andy.
Old 7th Mar 2011, 7:12 pm   #43
JonCartwright
Retired Dormant Member

Hello again everyone,

I've just got the opportunity to get a Rega Planar turntable. It's close to where I live, which makes it an attractive offer for me.

Those of you who responded to my previous question did suggest Rega as a good make, but pointed me towards the Planar 2. Is (are) there specific reason(s) why the Planar 2 is more desirable than the Planar 1?

Also, are there any problems or other things I should look out for with the Planar 1?

Thanks again!

Jon
Old 7th Mar 2011, 7:24 pm   #44
D_S_J_R
Heptode

The Planar 1. Is it a newish model? if so, it'll be fine, if not as lavish as the "better" models.

Upon receipt, carefully check to ensure that all fixings are firmly tight (they can loosen off in a short period of time after manufacture) and that the belt is ok, as these do stretch over a very few years. A drop or two of the recommended EP80 gear oil in the main bearing also prolongs its life, as after ten years or so, the oil dries out, becomes a sludge and rapid wear can take place if not attended to - been there and seen the consequences. Fortunately, Rega spares are readily available for modest cost from their dedicated dealer network, especially the smaller dealers (the chain of shops selling the brand don't always have the expertise or training on the turntables, sadly).

The "thing" with ALL Rega decks is the isolation, or lack of it, from their surroundings. The Rega Wall "Shelf," which is specifically designed for these decks, is one of the best upgrades any Rega turntable owner can do, as the sound is clearer and reproduction of bass instruments so much better in my opinion.
Old 7th Mar 2011, 7:37 pm   #45
JonCartwright
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that info, D_S_J_R. I don't know if it's a "newish" model. How does one tell?!
Old 8th Mar 2011, 11:20 pm   #46
qualityten
Octode

If it is called a Rega P1, it's newish, like this: http://www.rega.co.uk/html/p1.htm It will have a straight black tonearm as in the pic. This is an RB100 arm, which is a budget version of the RB250 on the 2 or the RB300 on the 3.

If it is an early Rega Planar, it may have the earlier Acos Lustre silver S shaped tonearm which was used before the RB series. I would prefer this arm, but you may have to get the antiskate part seen to.

If undamaged, both should give good 'plug and play' service, but will not sound as good as a heavy platter Lenco. If you got a Lenco GL75 later, you could use a Rega arm with it, with a bit of DIY.
Old 9th Mar 2011, 11:31 am   #47
JonCartwright
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the info, Qualityten. Yes, I think it's an early one. Might be back on here shortly to ask about amps!
Old 9th Mar 2011, 7:35 pm   #48
D_S_J_R
Heptode

A quickie - If this deck DOES have the "S" shaped R200 tonearm, then correct isolation is vital to obtain best performance, which will be superb, all other things being well. Please either service the deck yourself, or get it to a Rega dealer for fettling. At least parts are very inexpensive if needed and the running normally very reliable. I'm using this tonearm myself on the thorens 125 at present and it's great. The bias corrector works well on mine and if any re-wiring is needed, Audio Origami is the place and site to visit
Old 10th Mar 2011, 11:47 am   #49
JonCartwright
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again, D_S_J_R. Yes, it does have the S-shaped R200 tonearm. For now I don't think I can isolate it in the proper way, but I can sit it on a very sturdy sidetable with nothing else. This is my first turntable, so I have a steep learning curve ahead of me. Apparently it could do with a new drive belt, and possibly a new stylus (the cartridge is an Audio Technica AT110E). Would you (or others) be able to suggest places where I could get those parts inexpensively? (I see a lot of ads on eBay for Planar II/III drive belts - do they fit?)
Old 10th Mar 2011, 6:26 pm   #50
qualityten
Octode

I used to own one of these early Regas. Rega supplied me with a replacement belt at a reasonable price. I think it was a different size from II/III decks, and was made up specially.

I sold it because I (mistakenly) thought that this Acos arm (also known as RB200) was inferior to the RB250 and because I could not get the antiskate/bias to work. I have since learned that the antiskate/bias in these arms is applied by a toothed rubber belt which perishes and snaps. I don't think it is a problem even if this is broken, but it might be worth checking before you buy.

The nice thing about these arms is that they have a removable headshell so you can easily install and swap cartridges.

So, I would say go for it! The AT110E is in my opinion a good basic cartridge and replacement styluses are available from internet dealers.

I'm sure many here will be happy to talk amps in due course.
Old 10th Mar 2011, 6:53 pm   #51
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I too owned a Rega Planar 3 with an S shaped arm, prior to a Linn Sondek, nice straightforward decks which usually give no trouble and produce good sound quality.

Both the Audio Technica AT110E and cheaper AT95E cartridges are good value for money and will work well in most arms, although sadly the AT110E is no longer made. Replacement stylii are readily available for both but shop around for best prices. I acquired an AT110E for my Pioneer PL12D and an AT95E for a Rotel RP1000Q - it wasn't worth spending more.

Howard

Last edited by howard; 10th Mar 2011 at 7:02 pm.
Old 10th Mar 2011, 10:00 pm   #52
D_S_J_R
Heptode

The AT110e stylus is still readily available and well worth getting for £25 or less. The arm itself will take better, but go too far beyond the likes of an AT120E and the deck will start to limit things a touch. A few drops of EP80 in the main bearing and a readily available Rega belt (get an original please) and you should be ok. The main bearing nut and also the arm fixing nut must be firmly tight (not too much so be sensible).

Try a massy platform instead of the light-rigid approach. A large chopping block (not too expensive from the larger supermarkets) may help a bit here

By the way, the three feet must be LOOSE on their fixing screws. Rega fitted small washers between the foot and plinth on these early feet I remember, certainly on the early Planar 3.

The Rega with a different belt was the original Planet model and possibly the very early Planar models. I came to the brand via the Planar 2 and 3 in 1976, so missed the first two or three years of this company.
Closed Thread