UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 4th Oct 2023, 7:14 am   #1
BlairHart
Diode

Default GEC D61 Vintage fridge

Hope someone can help me, I want to get my parents first fridge restored. It's GEC D61 fridge , it still runs but needs some major TLC. Any advice or contacts , greatly appreciated.
BlairHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Oct 2023, 8:19 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: GEC D61 Vintage fridge

Unless the fault lies in the thermostat (which would present a simple electro-mechanical fault), anything else is going to be a fault within the refrigeration system. This would require the services of a professional service agent capable of safely discharging the old gas, cutting out the old compressor unit, soldering in a suitable replacement and recharging the system with modern refrigerant gas. Local companies are available to do this work, but the cost of a compressor replacement may be uneconomic.
Neil
Old 5th Oct 2023, 7:56 am   #3
BlairHart
Diode

Thanks Neil, I hope they still do seals for the door!
BlairHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Oct 2023, 11:01 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

From which period does this 'fridge originate? You may be aware that refrigerants evolved over the years from lethal ones, to very unpleasant ones, to ozone depleting ones, to relatively benign ones. Note that door seals tend to disappear from parts listings quite quickly, unfortunately it's just the way of things. Age may be against you here, but i wish you luck.

Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2023, 6:15 pm   #5
G6ONEDave
Octode

We had an old Fridgedair refridgerator some 45 years back that would occassinally trip the ring mains, just enough to become annoying. The problem was to do with that delay thermal system but since the fridge was totally obsolete, it was either a new fridge or try to do something about the problem.

My solution was to switch the mains to the compressor using an International Rectifier solid state switch module. The module being the type with zero volt start. I had to add a small 5vdc supply and used the original fridge stat. I am pleased to say that my modification achieved a further 7 years of troublefree operation. The fridge finally was scrapped when it lost it's cooling fluid, and as it was so old totally non viable on grounds of cost and efficiency.

Dave