UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 29th Nov 2023, 3:53 pm   #1
brenellic2000
Octode

Default B&W TV to High Definition Freesat?

I still use my 30 year Fidelity B&W TV in my office - it suits me fine. We have to use 'Freesat'.

I 'digitised' it by using an RF Modulator to feed the Freesat box... and all works fine:

- Screwed RF aerial into 'Goodmans' Freesat box
- Scart connection between Freesat box to Scart on Modulator
- Old push-in aerial from moduator to old TV.

As the BBC is abandoning SD next year I have updated my posh TVs to HD using a Manhatten SX box... but what of the old B&W TV? It only has a push-in aerial socket.

All the current Manhattan SX HD box has is a HDMI or 'AV socket' as part of a male SCART adaptor. Do I simply need a Female/Female SCART adaptor to connect between the AV adaptor and reuse the now 'spare' SCART/SCART male lead?

... or simply give up using old technology?!
brenellic2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2023, 4:00 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: B&W TV to High Definition Freesat?

You just need a source of composite video and audio to feed the modulator. Composite should be on Scart pin 19.

If you only have HDMI as a source, you need a little black box gizmo to extract the analogue feed. There are lots on eBay for just a few quid.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2023, 4:53 pm   #3
dglcomp
Heptode

For the Manhattan box you just need the appropriate scart to RCA lead or adaptor, just make sure its wired the right way round or has a switch to change it. Plenty around.
A Camcorder 3.5mm TRRS to Scart adaptor will also probably work, though only if the TRRS jack is wired the same.
dglcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2023, 7:34 pm   #4
hamid_1
Heptode

The Manhattan SX satellite box has no SCART socket but it does have a 3.5mm AV socket instead. A cable is available to connect this to a TV or modulator with SCART. Details here:
https://manhattan-tv.com/how-to-make...dmi-compatible

Simply use the AV cable kit with your existing modulator and B&W TV. You can purchase the cable kit from Manhattan if you didn't receive one with your box. The Manhattan analogue AV cable kit costs £4.99 + postage. Call 020 8450 0005 to order one directly from Manhattan in the UK.

Alternatively, you can find other Freesat HD boxes with SCART sockets built-in. Older Sky HD boxes also had SCART, and some even had built-in RF modulators. Old Sky HD boxes are often given away free by people who have cancelled their subscription or upgraded to a newer box. You can use one instead of a Freesat box. You will also be able to get your 'local' TV channel on Sky (e.g. London Live in the London area) which is not available on Freesat. However, the disadvantage of using a Sky box is higher power consumption and lots of channels to flick through in the TV guide that you can't watch without paying for them. Freesat is basically a collection of most of the free-to-view channels on Sky without the 'pay' channels included in the listings.
hamid_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2023, 3:09 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
If you only have HDMI as a source, you need a little black box gizmo to extract the analogue feed. There are lots on eBay for just a few quid.
I use one of these boxes, HDMI in to Composite video & stereo audio RCA sockets, this is then plugged in to my UHF modulator,
I paid £3.99 from ebay, brilliant device & highly recommended!

Mark
mark pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2023, 8:14 pm   #6
patrickgnl
Pentode

If you have problems getting a composite signal, set the video out on the Manhattan to 576i (which is a standard SD 625 line 50hz signal), instead of 1080p. Adapters may change it for you, but definitely worth a try….

Patrick
patrickgnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2023, 11:20 am   #7
simpsons
Octode

You could use a s/h SKY box.

I know the scart output from a Sky satellite box works fine.

As an aside, I used to kid myself the better definition on my FS something or other 32" Sony with all the bells and whistles switched off, when using an HD channel rather than SD. It didn't!

As another aside, amazing how good the quality of SD is on a pucker 4:3 CRT monitor. I have an Ikegami TM20 and Eastenders can look very good. All down to the CRT resolution at 600 lines. PS I have the sound turned off.

I guess should SD be removed from Freeview, then a s/h Talk Talk Huwei Youview Box will do the same.

Chris

Last edited by simpsons; 1st Dec 2023 at 11:47 am. Reason: I didn't read the question properly
simpsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2023, 11:44 pm   #8
simpsons
Octode

Forgot to mention that the SKY HD Box has RF out in addition to the Scart connector. The RF channel is under software control via the handset.

You don't need the Freesat card. An old expired SKY Viewing card will do just fine. Should killing time be a hobby, regional TV is available and what's newsworthy around the UK. This might help in choosing where to/not to (delete inapplicable) live.

Chris
simpsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2024, 10:02 am   #9
brenellic2000
Octode

Getting no where fast! Tried the HDMI to composite RCA 'gizmo' but have got nowhere -yet the system works perfectly under SD Freesat box. It's got my TV aerial people foxed!

1 - why are some of these 'composite' HDMI boxes powered, others not?

2 - what I do get is a standard Freesat TV screen - tuned into 'Channel 5' - but little else - and in the lower right hand corner a new ' +/-- ' symbol that I can't change! Most of my TVs use Channel 5 from switching from TV to Freesat HD... but on this, the system hangs! It's got me foxed.... any ideas?

Barry
Old 6th Jan 2024, 12:12 pm   #10
marceljack
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenellic2000 View Post
1 - why are some of these 'composite' HDMI boxes powered, others not?
The HDMI socket can deliver only 50 mA under 5V, this might be sufficient for some converters but not for all of them.
marceljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2024, 8:49 am   #11
brenellic2000
Octode

Thanks