UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 15th Nov 2023, 7:03 pm   #1
Growler
Diode

Default 1946 Smiths Sectric wall clock - help!

Hi All

I'm feeling like an imposter here as I have only a very limited technical/engineering knowledge, and am a bit intimidated by the expertise displayed on this site! If replying to my question, I will need it in layman's terms!

I am hoping someone may be able to help me with a 1946 Smiths Sectric bakelite wall clock which has been in my (dry) loft for years and which I do remember working at my Aunt's house back in the day. The clock has a 9" dial and a 12" diameter.

Having brought it down and given it a clean I hoped to put it up in the kitchen.

The "starter-rod" seemed to work and the clock ran for a few hours then stopped and would not start again. Perhaps foolishly I have dismantled it and can see that one of the cogs/wheels (which unlike the others is not metal) has some teeth missing. The movement as a whole also seems to be in pretty bad condition and I have attempted to upload a photo. I am not confident it will clean up that well - or that I will be able to reassemble it successfully, (although I might enjoy trying).

So my query is, does anyone have a reconditioned Bijou movement that is surplus to requirements and, if so, roughly how much is this likely to cost. Alternatively, does anyone know where I may be able to find a replacement for the broken wheel? Any suggestions welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0757 Medium.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	287918  
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2023, 8:40 pm   #2
Robsradio
Heptode

Default Re: 1946 Smiths Sectric wall clock - help!

Hello
If it were me, I would look on eBay for something with a Bijou movement, they often have open circuit motor coils but are mechanically are ok, and they are usually fairly cheap. Take photos before disassembly, clean and transplant whatever is necessary to make a good one, then oil/grease and hopefully you’ll be up and running again
Robsradio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Nov 2023, 9:41 pm   #3
newlite4
Octode

The paxolin driven cog is often a casualty of these clocks. They are driven by the motor pinion and are made of paxolin to afford a degree of electrical insulation and self lubrication. Unfortunately, as the rest of the movement becomes clogged and stiff, the driven cog has a hard time driving the rest of the movement and the motor pinion continuing to vibrate wears out the teeth on the driven cog. These movements are fairly common at car boot sales, but to find one in good order some eighty years after manufacture requires some careful hunting.
Neil
Old 16th Nov 2023, 3:30 pm   #4
Growler
Diode

Thanks Both for the helpful advice. I shall give it a try!
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote