UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2019, 1:08 pm   #41
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: John Wakely in hospital.

A great contributor to the forum, best wishes to you sir
Old 16th Aug 2019, 4:04 pm   #42
Jac
Hexode

I'm very sorry to read this.

Hope you're getting well soon John and have a full recovery!

All the best wishes all the way from Eindhoven,
Jac
Old 16th Aug 2019, 6:06 pm   #43
AJSmith625
Tetrode

Best wishes from me too. I thoroughly enjoy reading of your restorations here on the forum.

Alan.
Old 16th Aug 2019, 6:25 pm   #44
ben
Dekatron

I hope you continue to recover, John. Always a pleasure reading your posts.
Old 16th Aug 2019, 6:38 pm   #45
Brased
Hexode

All the best John for a rapid recovery. Glad to hear that you are receiving such good care.

Edward
Old 16th Aug 2019, 6:57 pm   #46
ctc15
Tetrode

Hi John Wish you a speedy recovery we need you to help with all the TV problems and your story's to cheer use up. Looking forward to your master class of TV repairs.

Keith
Old 16th Aug 2019, 7:07 pm   #47
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Wishing you a speedy recovery John.

Less snakes...more ladders!
Old 16th Aug 2019, 8:49 pm   #48
Restoration73
Octode

Best Wishes for your recovery. For those who don't know, John is one of the Curators of
Television at the BVWTM, West Dulwich, and whose generous work has contributed to the expansion of the display of working televisions exhibited.
Tony
Old 16th Aug 2019, 8:53 pm   #49
bionicmerlin
Pentode

All the best John for a fast recovery. Always appreciate your help and knowledge on the forum Andy
Old 16th Aug 2019, 8:56 pm   #50
Nymrod121
Octode

Good to hear that you're on the mend, John.

For what it's worth, my elder brother had a TIA back in 2004; it happened early one Sunday morning whilst he was staying over in UK celebrating his 60th birthday. He got whipped into hospital where he had a 24-hour stay in ICU, followed by scans/consultant review on the Monday; he got booted out on the Wednesday ... and flew back to Portugal that Friday. Earlier this year, the silly b****r fell out of a tree while doing some chainsawing ... he didn't bounce very well; cracked a rib and had to wear a stout girdle for four and a half months.

All the best for your continued and speedy progress towards a full recovery.

Kind regards
Guy

Last edited by Nymrod121; 16th Aug 2019 at 9:02 pm.
Old 16th Aug 2019, 9:01 pm   #51
Tazman1966
Nonode

Gosh! Just came across this thread now. Glad to hear you're on the mend. Once you get back into the workshop, maybe a quick tickle from Bertha will speed your full recovery and rejuvenation!

Take care and all the very best,

Tas
Old 16th Aug 2019, 9:23 pm   #52
akuram1
Tetrode

All the best John hope you recover well.
Love reading your contributions on this form.
Old 16th Aug 2019, 10:35 pm   #53
Pamphonica
Octode

Very sorry indeed to hear you are unwell. Im sure you’ll be back to top form very soon. I was only chatting to you at Punnetts Town recently and you looked good then! Looking forward to another chat very soon.
All the very best, Jeremy
Old 16th Aug 2019, 10:37 pm   #54
Techman
Nonode

Only just seen this. Very best wishes for a speedy recovery, John. I've known a few people who've suffered the same, including an uncle of mine and all have made a full recovery. I'll phone you when you're feeling better and we'll have a good old chat. Take it easy for the time being and try to rest as much as possible.
Old 16th Aug 2019, 10:54 pm   #55
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Folks! I'm back home by 8pm via a very nice taxi service.
I was taken to the East Surrey Hospital at Redhill Surrey by ambulance at around 6-7 am on Monday morning.
I can only give the hospital, and all staff, nurses and porters my greatest thanks. The Redhill Hospital is a large one with just about every modern scanner, monitor, tube reactivator and equipment that I doubt you would find in the majority of private hospitals. It also has a neuro team on standby.

The nurses are so kind in every way making sure you are comfortable and monitored 24/7. They also enjoy a good laugh but better not when inserting a canular [?] You need a steady hand... I think it breaks down their stresses of the day and believe me they have some.
To add to the drama, on admission it was quite hot and I not eaten anything since 6am. I suddenly felt quite faint and managed to collapse in a heap hitting my right eyelid on a cabinet. I was hauled up by the shocked nurses and staff to discover that I had a large deep cut that was bleeding heavily. There was no pain and to be honest I thought it was overkill but they insisted they glued the gash back together with SuperGlue and strapped it together with what looked like Servisol tuner cleaning strips. They would not stick and my suggestion to the problem resulted in a collapse of laughter from everyone present. With the printed board repaired, all was well and assessment was continued.

Loads of scans and tests and a second MRI scan with iodine proved that everything was OK. I had suffered a very small stroke caused by a tiny capillary blockage to the brain that effected the periphery of my left eye. I was rather concerned that the purple iodine might stain my whole body resulting in a sort of Bluebottle appearance but I was assured by the MRI operator that this would not happen.
I still had a slight apprehension of this but of course he was correct but he did not tell me it was not purple I would stain but a nasty orange rather like a giant Tango man that glows in the dark...!
Before insertion into the focus field I had my mini tool kit confiscated. I had hoped to smuggle it in just to see how it worked but I would have been defeated anyway due to the whole thing being constructed with security screws of a type that I have not seen before. They may have had a problem like this with telly guys before..

Well thanks for all your very kind comments. I must admit I was a little overwhelmed with them, especially from guys I have not actually met.

I have four packets of tablets to take, mostly simple stuff and with a bit of luck these may calm things down. I can see very clearly and after five days just notice a strange Migraine effect in the left eye. It is reducing daily and must admit being in the passenger seat in the Taxi, everything appeared to be very normal even sharper than it was previously. Of course it is very early days but everything appears 98% normal and I can only say a great thank you to the East Surrey NHS Hospital at Redhill Surrey and the valued help from the NHS 111 emergency service. Let's hope progress continues.
I'll get that Cossor radio on the bench that I purchased from Punnets Town and see if I can get a squeak out of it.. Thanks again and I will bring you up to date. Regards, John.

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 16th Aug 2019 at 11:01 pm.
Old 17th Aug 2019, 4:27 am   #56
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
but he did not tell me it was not purple I would stain but a nasty orange rather like a giant Tango man that glows in the dark...!
John.
Not like a certain unmentionable American politician, I hope. You could be on a nice earner as a stand-in for David Dickinson, though.

Just tell everyone you're on an intensive carrot diet to improve your vision.

Good to hear you're OK.

David
Old 17th Aug 2019, 7:00 am   #57
Sideband
Dekatron

Welcome back John. Glad that things are on the mend. Look after yourself, get out and have a good brisk walk every day to help keep the corpuscles moving (I do around 7 to 10 miles per week in total). Blood tends to thicken as you get older so the more you can do to reduce that (by keeping active and reducing fat and sugar intake) the better you will be.

Keep those valves glowing for as long as you can!
Old 17th Aug 2019, 7:11 am   #58
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

All the best very John.
Bin there, dun that.
I've had four 'real' strokes but told Mr Grim to stick his reaper where the sun doesn't shine!
Old 17th Aug 2019, 8:40 am   #59
beltinge bore
Pentode

Get well soon John. Your one of nature's gentleman. Always a pleasure to talk to you.

Best wishes Steve & Ruth.
Old 17th Aug 2019, 9:55 am   #60
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Excellent news John,wishing you continuing improvement.