UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Aug 2019, 1:47 am   #21
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: KB Pre-war Miror lid TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Significantly only two Mirror Lid models were produced just after the War. One was very expensive [but I can't recall the make]. I have the other an Ekco TS48 [1946] I think] which definitely has a short CRT BUT mounted vertically and viewed in a mirror. It's been said, previously, that these perhaps represented a failure to catch up with new developments but the KB story may suggest otherwise.
There was also the Ekco TSC113 with the "pop-up" lid with the CRT in the actual lid - as seen in a post in the "offered" section just recently
Old 9th Aug 2019, 12:33 pm   #22
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: KB Pre-war Mirror lid TV

There is indeed Techman, very unusual. No mirror but the same sort of design in a way! I must have missed that posting in the offered section when off line in the North I "see" there is a TSC-113 thread by Grahame [started on 26/3/05] which contains some excellent photos. I've never come across this one before. Thanks for pointing it out.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 9th Aug 2019 at 12:39 pm.
Old 9th Aug 2019, 7:41 pm   #23
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It would be great to discover one of these tucked away in a Country House sale!

Very little information exists on KB pre war receivers. The post war CV30 [1947] is another very rare receiver but as mentioned, no mirror! The CRT is a Brimar 12A which appears to be a Mazda CRM121, especially as it has a Mazda Octal base. The CRM121 appeared in 1938 so I guess this was employed in the pre war KB model.

An old Transit pick up loaded with junk pulled up at the shop decades ago. The driver came in and asked if I wanted an old TV. Standing up at the front of the truck was a CV30 in very good condition. I showed interest and he said that he would unload the junk and drop it off on his way home. It never happened!

I often wonder what happened to it especially as I had offered him a fair price for it and back then old TV receivers were just junk..Oh well you can't win them all.

[I believe this is the final mirror lid receiver to be manufactured. Dave mentioned it earlier on. It is called 'Reflections' employing the late version of the TX9 chassis and a 14" high quality CRT. As David mentioned, it is based on a pre war Ultra model. The picture is fantastic. The cabinet is manufactured from solid wood and is very heavy. It was manufactured to celebrate 50 years of BBC television but also coincided with the opening of the Ferguson factory on the Great Cambridge Road in 1936.] John.

Swap for a CV30 or 780 series anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ferguson Reflections (3).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	188120   Click image for larger version

Name:	ferguson Reflections (2).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	188121   Click image for larger version

Name:	ferguson Reflections (1).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	188122  
Old 9th Aug 2019, 7:58 pm   #24
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Part of me suspects that in the year or so prior to WWII there were a number of TV receivers made as experimental one-offs (or indeed non-working mock-ups) by manufacturers to test public reaction, or so they could put *something* on a stand at Radiolympia and publish photos to show to their shareholders that they were "in the TV game".

For some such manufacturers the coming of WWII - and the closedown of the BBC TV service - would have come at an opportune time, so they didn't actually have to put their hastily-demonstrated but poorly-developed TVs into production!
Old 9th Aug 2019, 8:51 pm   #25
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks for explaining my confusion [post 17*] HCT. I wouldn't dare to challenge the expert opinion of yourself and Mr Fernesh
I think there must be something in what you say about "one offs" Tanuki. There was a bit of a rush on generally, even before the suybsequent outbreak of hostilities!

Dave W
Closed Thread