UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2019, 7:40 pm   #1
hannahs radios
Hexode

Default Whats this device for?

My mate brought round an unusual device today, its made by Edwards high vacuum Ltd. HF tester. Its about 6 inches long by 4 inches round its label states it runs on 110 volts AC/DC and should be fused at 2 amps. So I connected it to my variac (having first set it to 110 volts) then pushed the slider on its side up it then made a hissing crackling noise and created lots of RFI all over the medium and shortwave bands. My mate then put a neon screwdriver in the end touching a terminal in its end the neon lit very brightly as did a small fluorescent tube. I think its producing several Kv as I can here a crackle from the end of a piece of wire connected to it but just laying on my wooden bench. So any know what it is? And how it works. The fact it will work on DC obviously means it must be transformerless
Old 13th Jul 2019, 9:02 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Whats this device for?

It appears to be for testing the vacuum in glass vessels: http://www.fergutec.nl/english/syste...m%20tester.htm
Old 14th Jul 2019, 2:52 pm   #3
hannahs radios
Hexode

Thanks yes that does seem to be it I never even knew such devices existed you learn something everyday. My device certainly emits lots of RF noise at low frequency its a loud buzz and is more of a crackle at higher frequency. I will show the website you put in your reply to the friend who brought me it to test thanks again
Old 14th Jul 2019, 3:29 pm   #4
broadgage
Nonode

We used a similar device when I worked for a company servicing high voltage equipment for RF heating.

If a high voltage rectifier or triode had a good vacuum as shown by this tester, and also a functioning heater, then it was probably OK.
Old 14th Jul 2019, 3:44 pm   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

....Is this tester capable of testing the vacuum in a mercury arc rectifier tube...? Your friend might find themselves experiencing a boost in popularity if so!

Dave
Old 14th Jul 2019, 10:07 pm   #6
hannahs radios
Hexode

I don't know if it could be used to test a MAR, but it could be fun to find out. I now know what this device is thanks to you guys, the next thing is to ask my mate if I can undo it to see what drives it, although I'm guessing it might be a baby Tesla coil type of arrangement.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 2:11 pm   #7
Bill
Pentode

I have some NOS devices which I think maybe related to this device. They look like unfinished EF80 valves! Something to do with measuring high vacuum in electro metal deposition machines? They were made by AEI, type 10G29D15, a valve with no top to the glass, B9A base and what looks like a directly heated triode structure. I assume appropriate voltages are applied and the conduction/gain varies in a linear fashion according to the vacuum it works in?Can anyone confirm?
Bill
Old 15th Jul 2019, 2:39 pm   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Those sound like ionisation gauges ('ion gauges'). I wonder if the type number is actually IOG...

I remember the rather larger Mullard IOG12 and IOG15.
Closed Thread