UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jul 2019, 12:11 am   #41
defender
Tetrode

Default Re: Break in to workshop.

Some people use trip wires connected to contraptions that fire shotgun blanks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bisley-Secu.../dp/B0049ACMC6

That'll scare the out of em
Old 6th Jul 2019, 12:50 am   #42
AC/HL

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
I would like something that plays a lifelike recording of something worrying to the thief.
Police radio effect, maybe with a blue flashing LED.
As Paul says though, if they want it they'll get it. Just make sure you don't get injured or end up on the wrong end of no win no fee.

We had a break in at the service centre once. They removed a section of the building's brick wall!
Old 6th Jul 2019, 6:36 am   #43
robinshack
Heptode

Following a tiring day, a good night's sleep. No siren heard! Was dreading false alarm.
I think my "make a lot of noise" should frighten anyone before they can start to break in. A lot of houses all around us and several of us do keep an eye out for strangers. Next is some lighting. Maybe put up an led pir floodlight. Or lower o/p background. Certainly the gate near our kitchen is too easy to overcome. That was the means of entry to our fenced back garden. Neighbour has a pent roof shed that could be climbed on to bypass a 3M length of our fence, if the simpler climbing over the gate wasn't used. Spikes on my side might be the only answer.
The intruder climbed over the gate (footmarks on top of the 1M high front boundary fence). Made their way to the other side of the house, past the sheds and then removed the screws from the other gate bolt receptacle to give an easy exit. Then used a crowbar to break in to both sheds. Luckily no great damage done to the doors or frame.
My concern now is a return visit. Pictures of the contents would I imagine been taken. Though the vintage gear stored side-on on the shelves was not moved.
Any return entry should be prevented as long as the alarm doesn't pack up. The microwave sensor has been used in the past, using a PMR link and was very reliable with no false alarms and one arrest.
Was 32 minutes in a queue of 7 to police 101 last night. I requested a "passing watch" as our neighbour is away and he has shotguns in a correct registered cabinet in his house.
My 2 stolen air rifles were outside as xyl doesn't like them being indoors. Nobody else would know. Zero contact from police so far. I'm not holding my breath.
I will again ask for crime prevention to visit. The least I can expect really.
Rob
Old 6th Jul 2019, 7:43 am   #44
G4YVM David
Heptode

Ex work colleague of mine fitted a system of trips and blank shotgun cartridges. No danger to life or limb but the bowels will be tested I should think.
Old 6th Jul 2019, 10:18 am   #45
robinshack
Heptode

Regarding g6tanuki DOG and other posts about trip wires.
25 or so years ago I often visited a local scrapyard in a remote place on edge of town. One morning when I arrived he told me he had 2 men walk into his prefab bungalow on site. The first he knew was waking with a torch in his face and a knife held close with demands of money. He said he didn't have any. They roughed him up a bit then locked him in the bathroom. This was lucky, as his trousers were in there together with his wallet. He escaped through the window across the yard to a nearby field and waited until they left. His feet were cut up as he had no shoes or socks on. He was in his 70s.
A while later, a friend fitted a flood siren on top of a pole with a switch in his bedroom. He also warned me not to enter at night because of a trip wire and shotgun cartridge booby trap just inside his door. Not a blank!
He had 3 dogs that roamed free 24/7. A long haired rottweiler, a huge alsatian and a labrador cross.
The rottweiler was soft as grease and she loved being stroked by my young daughter. The alsatian loved playing fetch games and if you didn't throw something would very softly grip your wrist several times until you played. The lab cross was a sly thing and on a whim might follow you and without warning nip the back of your leg if you weren't careful. He was the worst, but not aggressive or barking if anyone entered the yard.
Luckily, the dealer had no more frightening episodes.
Our new neighbours opposite tells me he is going to install some cameras and says they are good quality and should also cover our frontage.
I've been looking at a couple of pir led wall lights from screwfix. One for each front corner of our house to protect the gate areas as well.
Rob
Old 6th Jul 2019, 10:30 am   #46
MrBungle
Dekatron

I was speaking to my sister about this today. She's a vet and horsey sort of person and they have a big problem with people stealing horses (!) and tack where they are. They tried flood lights and apparently that just enabled them to do the job quicker.

In the end they got a security fog box put in. This is a neat little thing which is basically a 1980s disco in a box. You set up up, arm it and if anyone moves and doesn't disable it after 10 seconds it goes crazy, pours an epic amount of smoke out, fires up an extremely loud siren and fires xenon flash strobes into the smoke to disorient the person.

And you know what? She set it off by accident on herself

So beware of any traps you set!

The current best solution is apparently hiring a farm hand to hang around the "burgling hour" (10pm-11pm apparently) and shoot at them with a shotgun with blanks and rock salt in it.
Old 6th Jul 2019, 10:41 am   #47
lesmw0sec
Heptode

That well known character Al Satian can provide a good deterrent!
Old 6th Jul 2019, 10:41 am   #48
paulsherwin

You can become overly paranoid about this sort of thing. You can spend a fortune turning your property into Fort Knox and installing all sorts of illegal traps and they'll still get in if they really want to - in fact, an obviously well defended property may attract attention. They have no hesitation in killing guard dogs with knives or poison if there's something they really want.
Old 6th Jul 2019, 11:26 am   #49
mark_in_manc
Octode

My solution (having been cleared out entirely a long time ago) was not to own anything that anyone might want to steal Unfortunately the old shite I got interested in is now old enough to be 'retro' and all that (and no longer cheap), which suggests I need to move my collecting instincts forward in time to the trough (about 20 years old?) in which unwanted stuff languishes.

(A friend went so far as to remove the coil-dizzy lead on a nice car he had - and one the second attempt the thieves came back with one of their own! He would have been better off swapping two plug leads over...but remember which ones!)
Old 6th Jul 2019, 11:46 am   #50
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_manc View Post
(A friend went so far as to remove the coil-dizzy lead on a nice car he had - and one the second attempt the thieves came back with one of their own!
Which just goes to prove that if someone wants to steal something they will.

All we can do is decide how much time and money we're prepared to spend trying to stop them.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Old 6th Jul 2019, 11:57 am   #51
robinshack
Heptode

Quote:
You can become overly paranoid about this sort of thing. You can spend a fortune turning your property into Fort Knox and installing all sorts of illegal traps and they'll still get in if they really want to - in fact, an obviously well defended property may attract attention. They have no hesitation in killing guard dogs with knives or poison if there's something they really want.
I agree Paul. My current aim is to bring a lot of attention to anyone on my property. With noise and/or movement triggered lighting.
The original padlocks were not cut, just forced the hasp with a crowbar so the unprotected screws pulled out, a bit bent.
Too much strength in fixings may result in structural damage which means far more expense.
Pinning my hopes on the movement detector and very loud noises.
Rob
Old 6th Jul 2019, 2:30 pm   #52
David Simpson
Octode

Obviously, I'm very sorry to hear of Robin's & other folk's break-in problems. Also, its disgusting to learn that a police officer intends to sue a Club owner over a hearing injury. But hey, all UK employees(including the police), particularly industrial folk(hard hats & yellow ear defenders), are covered by the H & S at Work Act, which demands that all supervisors/line managers/company executives, whether they be private or governmental, must ensure that their staff are fully protected from injury of any sort. So why does West Midland Police not provide ear defenders(they can be wee rubber insert ones - small enough to fit in a bobby's pocket) to staff who might be sent to an extremely noisy environment ? Surely they have a duty of care to all policemen. If the poor chaps hearing problem has been assessed & verified by an ENT Consultant, then surely he's entitled to compensation & urgent medical treatment fees from the Police Authority, & legal help from the Police Federation!
A cautionary warning - this isn't a fully closed Forum and anybody could pick-up on comments by members about their viscous anti-burglar devices. So if a potential burglar/litigator or some wishy-washy human rights activist learns that Joe Bloggs from Basingstoke(who just collects old radios) has such precautions, they might shop him or deliberately acquire a minor injury - just to get poor old Joe in trouble.

Regards, David
Old 6th Jul 2019, 7:07 pm   #53
The Philpott
Octode

Quite, David. Noises that are too loud are like Fire that is too hot; we just walk away from it on a sensory feedback basis, surely! (Life or Death situations excepted)

'Sarge, i can't get in there until the alarm's switched off'
'OK Constable Savage, duly noted.'

Dave

Dave
Old 6th Jul 2019, 9:32 pm   #54
kevinaston1
Pentode

Quite a few years ago, I was at a musical instrument trade fair. Over a cup of coffee, I got talking to an American vintage guitar dealer.

I was surprised when he told me that he regularly carried around $250,000 of guitars in his car, which he would leave unattended. But, are you not concerned someone breaking into the car and stealing them?

No he said. My hobby is breeding rattlesnakes; I leave a few of them in the car; no one ever tries to steal anything.

Kevin
Old 7th Jul 2019, 12:33 pm   #55
G0HZU_JMR
Octode

Quote:
My 2 stolen air rifles were outside as xyl doesn't like them being indoors. Nobody else would know. Zero contact from police so far. I'm not holding my breath.
I will again ask for crime prevention to visit. The least I can expect really.
Rob
One thing to bear in mind (if crime prevention officers do show up) is that the official home office guidelines state that is not advisable to store air guns in a shed even if it is a locked shed. The general advice is that air guns should be stored in a locked cupboard inside a house.

Quote:
Air weapons should be stored inside a house
rather than in an outbuilding, such as a garden
shed.
https://assets.publishing.service.go...-to-safety.pdf
Old 7th Jul 2019, 5:00 pm   #56
robinshack
Heptode

Point noted Jeremy. Realistically no police are bothered around here with petty crime. They quickly give you a ref number "to tell your insurers" then their hands are washed of it.
They DID ask if any blood was left behind?
Not this time, but by the time my poor DIY standards do their best nailing extra wood above the gate for better security, there might be if they are careless climbing over again and either fall off or cut themselves.
Let's hope they don't return.
I was awake a lot last night wondering about the situation. Would carrying a crowbar (to break in) be an offensive weapon was one thought going round my head. Certainly it would be seen as prepared to commit a crime.
Rob
Old 7th Jul 2019, 5:18 pm   #57
paulsherwin

That's 'going equipped', often used to prosecute miscreants if they aren't caught in the act and can't be linked to a specific crime.

Practically anything can be considered an offensive weapon. It all depends on the context.
Old 7th Jul 2019, 5:36 pm   #58
David Simpson
Octode

Hello again Rob,
Your recent disturbing experiences are obviously dwelling on your mind, for which I sympathise.
Re the Air Rifles - were they above or below the legal Muzzle Velocity( = 12 Foot Pounds) ? I.e. Those above must, according to Home Office Regulations, be held on a Firearms Licence. Me thinks that you should contact your local Police Firearms Licencing Officer. He might be more keen to respond to your concerns about the break-in & theft than the normal Bobby on the Beat.
Re your legal right to respond with "Reasonable Force" to an intruder holding a crowbar or any sort of vicious weapon - then I suggest you contact a reliable Solicitor,(not one with wishy-washy human rights inclinations), for advice.
Is there a Neighbourhood Watch Organisation near you ? You might consider joining & receive some useful advice.

Regards, David
Old 7th Jul 2019, 6:52 pm   #59
The Philpott
Octode

There is a small positive. There might be a small guilt-trip going on re. not being able to keep your guns in the house. I am hoping xyl might get you a new one at christmas, let you keep it in the house,etc...they are after all prone to rust..

Going equipped is of course contextual as the man says. A teen with previous convictions arrested in a multi-storey car park with a sharpened screwdriver in his pocket got prosecuted, but when i was working in a plant nursery i had a valid reason for carrying a knife to and from. (if you left it on the premises it would get nicked, basically.)

Dave
Old 7th Jul 2019, 7:40 pm   #60
Tazman1966
Nonode

Horrible to hear about this. I can't imagine how upsetting this is.
Closed Thread