UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jul 2019, 2:57 pm   #21
Norman Raeburn
Hexode

Default Re: Break in to workshop.

I sympathize with this, we had a bit of a scare recently. My neighbor had said her dog was going nuts and barking through the fence where my workshop door is. I thought her boyfriend may have had a look as he is a BIG lad. Anyhow I have fitted new stronger locks and am about to fit some dusk to dawn light. I know you can't keep them out but make as difficult as possible and they will move on. Norman
Old 5th Jul 2019, 3:46 pm   #22
deliverance
Hexode

Sorry to hear this Rob.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 3:50 pm   #23
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Some misdirection can be worthwhile. Have somewhere which looks a bit more secure to lead them away from where you don't want them to go.

My old mini was nickable, too old for a built-in steering lock they could get in with force and a screwdriver. Start it... starts, ran, fuel gauge showing empty, fuel warning light on. Fuel pumps not running. Plenty of fuel in both tanks, but really good locking caps. They'd get the car unparked and down the road a bit before it spluttered to a stop as the fuel in the carburettors ran out. Worked twice. No damage apart from screwdriver damage in lock and ignition switch. With the vehicle coming to a halt in a road, they wouldn't want to hang around any further in full vision.

Similar techniques can protect stationary property. I made solid steel framed doors for a very solid outbuilding (Watermill means very solid!) I didn't only do the door to the room with the valuable tack in it, but also to a couple of rooms holding uninteresting stuff. It would take serious effort time and noise to get through one door and then have only a 1/3 chance of hitting the right one.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 6:04 pm   #24
The Philpott
Octode

Flying blind here without knowing what padlocks Rob had in place, most boltcutters will laugh at 8 or 9mm padlock shackles, and can comfortably cut 10mm shackles. Under favourable circumstances (where the angle and access is opportune) larger shackles than this can be cropped (but it's likely that many modern boltcutters won't be much good after they've done this a few times.)

Don't use lightweight mazak bodied padlocks, these are only good enough to keep your mother out, and can be defeated with a blowtorch.

A closed shackle padlock with a boron steel 11 or 12mm shackle is an improvement over what most people have in place, when accompanied by a squire LB1 padbar, or alternatively a squire LB2CS LH or RH shielded bracket. The latter has the advantage of keeping the weather off the padlock somewhat, which- from experience- is a big advantage if you are using a SQUIRE padlock! Normal boltcroppers will have great difficulty in engaging this combination. Inevitably your attention then wanders to the hinges which are generally only secured by PZ screws.. each hinge needs 3 of it's holes filing out square to accept CSH (cup square hex) bolts, with nyloc nuts on the back of each. Two bolts through the door per hinge, one bolt through the frame per hinge.

One hardly ever knows when security has worked- only when it hasn't worked.

A thief totally failed to steal petrol from my car a couple of years ago. He was on foot so could only have got away with a gallon or two anyway. Was it worth it for £14, with the imminent risk of arrest and/or severe gingivitis..? I wonder what goes through people's heads sometimes.

Dave
Old 5th Jul 2019, 6:11 pm   #25
John10b
Octode

Greg in your post #3, you mentioned getting a “smart water pack..” what is that and what does it do?
Cheers
John
Old 5th Jul 2019, 6:38 pm   #26
Sinewave
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinshack View Post
Totally fed up as I write this. Had visitors last night, forced padlocks on outside sheds, 1 has garden stuff, nothing taken. My 8x12 workshop has at the moment 2 air rifles missing. as far ad I can tell.
I think now they know how many tools etc there are, they will be back with a vehicle.

So, today rigging up a microwave / pir detector inside the shed, beaming through the wood to pickup movement neatr the doors. A loud siren out of sight and reach.
Probably a magnetic switch behind the wood needing me to place a magnet on the outside to disable as required.

Personally I would like it to be silent so that the police could catch them in the act. However, that is I feel pointless in this day and age. I have done that before on an empty property and 2 occasions 2 criminals arrested. Zero compensation paid, despite "victim surcharge". However, my insurance rocketed despite never making a claim.

As I feel at this time, I would like barbed wire within my side of the fence that has a few kv at a milliamp or two. However, you are not allowed to do that!

Currently waiting to see if any interest from the police, I am not holding my breath, despite air rifles missing.

This now means a likely increase in home insurance as well, even though I won't claim, but they have to be notified.

Rob
Rob, really sorry to hear about this.

If you want any interest from the Police, you'll more than likely need to get into an argument with the robbers over social media - then the Police will be all over it!
Old 5th Jul 2019, 6:51 pm   #27
Stockden
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
you mentioned getting a “smart water pack..” what is that and what does it do?
Smart Water is a forensic marking system for property. More details are here and here. This was very popular with police forces for home use when it first appeared but they now seem (understandably) to concentrate on "industrial" customers and high value items like antiques and church roofs.

The bottom line is that it's £25 for enough goo to mark 10 items, with 5 years on their database or £35 per year for 50 items.

Hugh
Old 5th Jul 2019, 7:25 pm   #28
MrBungle
Dekatron

My stuff is always marked on the inside and i keep aerial numbers for everything.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 7:59 pm   #29
peter_scott
Nonode

Suitably placed you might get a photo or two of any culprits with hunting camera. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253818686379
I have one of these and it can send you an MMS photo or an email photo when its IR sensor is triggered hopefully before they see it and smash it.

Peter
Old 5th Jul 2019, 8:10 pm   #30
broadgage
Octode

I have found a useful deterrent to be a presence detector that triggers a recorded large dog barking sound.
It was realistic enough to frighten the cat, which is probably a good sign, cat is now used to it.

I would like something that plays a lifelike recording of something worrying to the thief.

A neighbour who was troubled with thefts of valuable machinery from a farm, put up a large notice reading "WARNING, DANGEROUS BULL WITHIN"
The caravan dwellers obviously thought that this was a joke.
It was in fact true One day they found the door forced and the bull running free and looking "pleased with himself"
9 months later three cows had calves without any visit from the AI man.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 8:27 pm   #31
robinshack
Heptode

Labours over and enjoying a glass of wine in the sunshine. Now have 10ghz microwave alarm unit inside the shed beaming out through the wood towards door porch area. 12v nicad and constant current 100ma charger for power, 2 sonalerts, 1 inside, 1 outside and under a pile of scrap metal. There is a VERY LOUD warbler horn connected, it is inside the shed and still audible from our furthest bedroom. A hidden switch is used to cut warbler only so i don't upset neighbours each time i get near the shed door. Pir led lights and other refinements to follow. Maybe a few nails near the top of the gates. Holding something in place, of course!
On a different note, our neighbours at the back heard about the breakin whilst still returning from france, eta tomorrow night. Via a local facebook community group. It gave me a positive feeling to liase with his elderly mother, set up some lights on timers and also put a heavy chain and padlock to their tall wrought iron garden gate. I also fitted a split pin to stop it being easily lifted from the hinge pins for good measure.
I hope to sleep ok tonight, albeit with one ear listening!
Rob
Old 5th Jul 2019, 8:38 pm   #32
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've used the carpet gripper approach in the past to good effect [where it was necessary to grip the top of a wooden fence to try and scale it]. Two strips were ripped off. Say no more! I think metal spikes, barbed wire, electricity and broken glass are probably verboten these days but really, it's more about the risk of the criminal managing to get you in difficulty subsequently, one way or another.
There is a polypropylene product on the market that's similar to the gripper but with more pronounced spikes! [From the easylife group]. "safely non-lacerating but distinctly uncomfortable. If an intruder's conscience doesn't prick him, these will!"

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 5th Jul 2019 at 8:44 pm.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 8:54 pm   #33
McMurdo
Dekatron

Making an alarm loud enough to be genuinely frightening is the best way IMHO, provided you can be confident it wont go off accidentally.

One of my clients had a break in, at their nightclub. The loud interior alarm frightened off the intruder, but the police officer who went to investigate sued the owner for hearing damage. I think it was thrown out of court.

Here's a link to the tabloid report on the incident, and I can tell you that's just how it happened.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...claims-6234202
Old 5th Jul 2019, 9:03 pm   #34
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

There's a range of spikey-things available which are intended to deter squirrels/cats/pigeons from walking along the tops of fences/walls. I rather doubt the use of these to deter human property-invasions would lead to any issues with the Volkspolizei.

If you want a 'fun' deterrent - at a site I used to do IT consulting for they had a night-time problem with people 'scavenging' in the WEEE-skip [which was outside the perimeter fence] so they installed a bunch of seriously-high-powered strobelights connected to a few PIR sensors. It's hard to run away when you've got a bunch of 1500-Joule strobes firing at you and entirely wiping-out your night-vision.

Here, we have visible and not-so-visible HD infrared security-cameras, as I told a friend "the visible ones are there to discourage anyone from stealing the invisible ones".

Then there's Dog [see attachment]. I'm happy for him to 'use his own initiative' when it comes to uninvited guests.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3825.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	186220  
Old 5th Jul 2019, 9:33 pm   #35
greg_simons
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
you mentioned getting a “smart water pack..” what is that and what does it do?
Smart Water is a forensic marking system for property. More details are here and here. This was very popular with police forces for home use when it first appeared but they now seem (understandably) to concentrate on "industrial" customers and high value items like antiques and church roofs.

The bottom line is that it's £25 for enough goo to mark 10 items, with 5 years on their database or £35 per year for 50 items.

Hugh
Ours was free from the council offices this time, did have to pay last time though, seems to be a bit of a push to make stolen goods more identifiable.
Greg.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 9:39 pm   #36
Station X

Before marking your stuff with Smart Water or even your post code, ask yourself whether you'd really want it back if it were stolen.

You might be better off accepting the insurance money, assuming you're insured.

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 9:45 pm   #37
kalee20
Dekatron

Really sorry to read this!

I don't have any suggestions to offer, but do have my deepest sympathy.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 10:56 pm   #38
paulsherwin

Most rural and semi-rural thievery is carried out by knowledgeable and well equipped people who are completely ruthless. It's next to impossible to stop them taking something if they are really determined. All you can do is deter the casual opportunists.
Old 5th Jul 2019, 11:27 pm   #39
MrBungle
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Most rural and semi-rural thievery is carried out by knowledgeable and well equipped people who are completely ruthless. It's next to impossible to stop them taking something if they are really determined. All you can do is deter the casual opportunists.
Indeed. What's sad is that people who have defended their property have unfortunately caused themselves more trouble than it was worth. Think Richard Osborn-Brooks and Tony Martin.

I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same if I'm honest.
Old 6th Jul 2019, 12:04 am   #40
greg_simons
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Before marking your stuff with Smart Water or even your post code, ask yourself whether you'd really want it back if it were stolen.

You might be better off accepting the insurance money, assuming you're insured.
Very good point, it could be heartbreaking to get back some cherished possession in bits or damaged beyond repair, certainly I wouldn't want to lose the air pistol of my youth. ref original post, that's always hidden away.