UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Sep 2015, 8:51 am   #1
brunel
Heptode

Default John Logie Baird recording saved for the nation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34379547
Old 29th Sep 2015, 12:41 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: John Logie Baird recording saved for the nation

Thanks very much for this Brunel-just up my street and it's printed out beautifully! There is a direct link between Bexhill and Helensburgh in my mind as JLB was buried there after dying here in June 1946 [70 years ago soon] just as he was about to reveal his new electronic colour TV system

Wetherspoons is opening a new outlet in town. I am trying to persuade them and the locals to name it The Baird Court [where he'd resided in Bexhill]. Hastings already has a Wetherspoons pub The John Logie Baird centred around his work there during the same historical 30 lines period that the newly saved collection references. Personally I think that his wartime and post -war activity is of even greater interest but we all have to start somewhere!.

Dave W
Bexhill-on Sea

Last edited by dave walsh; 29th Sep 2015 at 12:47 pm.
Old 29th Sep 2015, 12:43 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

Why doesn't the item include an mpeg video file?

I wouldn't expect this to be on BBC I-player as it's long time-expired - but with the news item mentioning that it's a video recording, it is a shame not to include it!
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 8:34 am   #4
gramofiend
Pentode

I seem to remember when viewing a BBC 4 documentary on Logie Baird that the existance of 78 recordings had been sought but none at that time had been found. Further, apparatus could not be found on which to play such recordings and of course by that time, app 2000-2010 only a dedicated bunch of 'engineers' could even be capable of building the equipment to record or play the relatively crude signal. I wonder why replica equipment is not on public display of all the systems that were developed by him seeing as he developed his ideas from the crude mechanical 'televisor' right through to an electronic colour system.

Of course the giants of EMI and RCA could throw millions of pounds and dollars at development and defense and a 'mavarick' like Baird was not particularly good at the politics of doing this single handed. There was the little matter of the thing called World War Two which popped up while he was trying to develope his invention as well!

It is a shame that inventers such as Baird, although being hailed as the inventer of television and who undoubtedly had many good ideas are frequently passed over with a footnote. Talking of footnotes where are EMI and RCA today! Gobbled up, subsumed, into some multi-billion, pound/dollar take over with most of the intellectual property of the past looked after and 'protected' by curaters, if we're lucky!!

Mike
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 8:00 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

That sums it up nicely Mike Colour television in the 30's? [I didn't believe it for years]. He was due to attend a major London Press launch of his post war refined colour system when he took ill and died. The local paper printed my letter with the Baird name suggestion today, plus the possibilty of linking the opening with the 70th Anniversary next year. Unfortunately the owners e-mailed me yesterday to say they have already decided on a different name but I don't think any one else knows So much for consultation.

I met the chap who transcribed the 78's a few years back. He was giving a demo of the images via a DVD/Monitor set up but I can't recall where? He did say that his mother was living in Bexhill though-small world.
Dave W
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 8:37 pm   #6
pmmunro
Octode

Have a look at the web site. http://www.tvdawn.com/. The site belongs to Don McLean who has put a great deal of work into the use of computers to recover the material stored in Baird disc recordings. His conclusion is that the Baird system, even in its early 30-line version, was capable of better images than is usually assumed.

He has given a number of extremely interesting presentations of his work and he is an excellent speaker
PMM

Last edited by AC/HL; 2nd Oct 2015 at 11:16 pm. Reason: A new topic deserves a new thread
Closed Thread