UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Dec 2014, 2:55 pm   #21
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Gerry Wells 1929 - 2014

Hi. I was saddened to hear about the passing of Gerry Wells. My condolences to his family & friends.
I have been to his museum a few times, and even my brother from Suffolk Sound Services enjoyed his visit there (he also enjoys vintage radio restoration).
Gerry was certainly a unique person and I also found him to be really helpful.
R.I.P
from Mike
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 3:35 pm   #22
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Bye Gerry, very glad to have met you at your museum. A tearful self hopes heaven is 405 lines and AM radio.
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 3:44 pm   #23
ITAM805
Octode

My condolences to Gerry's family.

I met him in the late 60's and he graciously showed me and my chum around the museum in Dulwich - despite us showing up on his doorstep unannounced.

A real gent and one of a kind.

R.I.P Gerry
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 3:48 pm   #24
Rejectostat
Hexode

I first visited Gerry’s museum about 35 years ago, and even though I was just a schoolboy Gerry showed me round his collection, was enthusiastic and encouraging, and even gave me a box of valve “pulls” to get me started on a spare valve stock. This was one of his great gifts, the ability to put all visitors at ease no matter what their background or interest. This, together with his wide-ranging knowledge of all things wireless, made him the “big name” he became in vintage wireless. Although clearly weak at his last birthday party a few months ago, he still joined in enthusiastically. A sad loss of a gentleman who became the knowledgeable face of vintage wireless and television preservation in this country. Rest in Peace Gerry, and condolences to Eileen.

John.
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 3:50 pm   #25
Cobaltblue
Dekatron

Very sorry to hear that.

I was fortunate enough to spend quite a lot of time at the Museum in the 80's and 90's.

Hot Tea around the Kitchen table with Gerry entertaining us all.

RIP Gerry

Mr Pasty
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 3:57 pm   #26
richrussell
Heptode

Very sorry to hear that news. I've never been to his museum or met him, but I've read a lot of things he's written and can't fail to be impressed by his knowledge and attention to promoting vintage electronics.

Rich
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 4:18 pm   #27
greenstar
Octode

So sorry to hear this news. I hadn't met Jerry either, but see him as a real visionary and key figure in the vintage community.
Tony
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 4:36 pm   #28
Focus Diode
Octode

This is very sad news, especially at this time of year. My sincere condolences to his family and many friends.

RIP
Brian
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 4:54 pm   #29
Aerodyne
Octode

I'd never met Gerry in person, only talked by telephone. A real 'one-off' character who made radio his life and the museum his lifetime's achievement.
RIP, Gerry. You have more than earned a rest. But we will all miss you.

Tony
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 4:57 pm   #30
AidanLunn
Heptode

I've just put this on my Facebook wall, please bear in mind it is intended to educate "not-we's" of who this man was and why he was so revered by us:

"I don't expect anyone outside of the TV collecting circle to know who he is or even care, but a giant of said hobbyists like myself passed away last night. Gerry Wells was so in love with vintage TV and radio sets that he owned his own private museum, including, as its' centrepiece, a fully working ex-IBA ITV 625 to 405-line analogue standards converter from Pye. This would have been used to supply those with who still had 405-line TV sets with ITV after the higher definition (and colour) 625-line service came online in 1969 until the closedown of the 405-service in 1985.

RIP Gerry Wells 1929-2014

I'm sure you had many tales to tell"

I never met Gerry myself, and unfortunately never had the chance to, but I first came across him, via television programming anyways in about 2007, when I was into tellies but some years before I got into "vintage" when I came across this episode of Tim Hunkin's series "The Secret Life of Machines"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD8d1r52lWg

So, to me also, Gerry will always be the gentleman in the white lab coat and large glasses with a pen or two in his breast pocket.

Last edited by AidanLunn; 23rd Dec 2014 at 5:13 pm.
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 5:04 pm   #31
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Sad news indeed! I only met him twice, judging the Radiophile Shifnal "Concourse de Elegance" restoration event in his white coat. His obsession biography is very good. A nice man who seemed to be able to live in the present and the 1930's all at the same time. I mentioned in Aerodyne's book publishing thread [only on the 14th] that I'd met a man whose family home backed on to Gerrys garden. A sad loss but he spent most of his life doing what he most enjoyed-few of us achieve that I think
Dave W
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 5:13 pm   #32
frglee21
Pentode

Some people say the late night Shipping Forecast soothes them after a hectic day. For me it's listening to BBC World Service podcast "The Wireless World of Gerry Wells"; he comes across, among other things, as a true gentleman.

Like others, I never met Gerry but in a way he's become part of my daily life and will continue to be so. It must have been a privilege to meet him and "have a brew" at THE kitchen table.

If I can quote Gerry from that program - "I'm not going to retire, I shall die in the saddle as it were" He has my admiration that he certainly seems to have done that!

Rest In Peace, Mr.Valveman.

Lee.

Last edited by frglee21; 23rd Dec 2014 at 5:37 pm. Reason: Typing error
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 5:41 pm   #33
brymac
Pentode

Truly the end of an era - Gerry will be much missed. He was an inspiration to us all....

Bryan McAlley
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 5:55 pm   #34
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I did meet Gerry a few times, though never to have a really good chat with unfortunately. It was at a garden parties, committee meetings at the museum, and events he attended when he was more mobile.

He had an amazing knowledge and endless enthusiasm. Obsession is the right word, and there is nothing wrong with that. I'm sure he has been an inspiration for a great many other collectors and restorers over the years.

He will be sorely missed.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Committee Member
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 5:57 pm   #35
yampy187
Hexode

Rest in peace Gerry. Very sad news indeed! I was lucky enough to meet Gerry at the NVCF in 2004. He was an inspiration to a lot of people!!

Jan
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 5:58 pm   #36
Brased
Hexode

I was deeply saddened to hear the news. I saw Gerry just a few times a year, last time at the music afternoon in November, but he was still to me a dear friend and a true gentleman. I shall always remember him.

My thoughts are particularly with Eileen at this time.

Edward
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 6:16 pm   #37
brianc
Rest in Peace

What can I say that hasn't already been said by his huge group of friends and admirers? I met Gerry several times and even on the first occasion, it was as if we had been friends for years. God bless your soul Gerry and may your memory and your empire over which you "ruled" so benignly for so many years live on for many, many years to come. A great loss to us all.
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 6:24 pm   #38
mark pirate
Dekatron

Very sad news indeed, Gerry was one of a kind who was a true gentleman.
He will be missed by many.
Rest in peace.
Mark
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 6:52 pm   #39
Roger-M0TDM
Pentode

Please pass on my most sincere condolences .
Sadly missed RIP Gerry.
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 7:18 pm   #40
ColinB
Heptode

This is really sad to learn of.

I have many fond memories of Gerry, ever helpful to an (as I was at the time, in the mid - late '90's) not particularly knowledgeable schoolboy. You could ring him up, and he would be able to tell you, over the phone, the fault, without even seeing the set - an amazing talent.

More than this though, he was the most generous person I've known; it was nothing at all unusual to visit and come away with a car full of 'projects'; kept me busy for months

Indeed, I owe my career to Gerry. Without his encouragement I doubt I would be an electronic Engineer now.

One of his favourite sayings was 'man made it, so man can fix it'.

Rest in piece my friend; thank you so, so much, for everything.
Closed Thread