UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 29th May 2019, 1:13 am   #41
usradcoll1
Hexode

Default Re: Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Not that those three are all the cats I have ever had the pleasure to have shared life with, there are many previous ones.
Steve,
What a great trio of felines! We have had cats for yonks - our current guest is Talulah who appears in my avatar. It is a shame that she really doesn't like other cats very much.
Colin.
It's great to see there is so many cat lover's on this website.
My first-love kitty lived for 19 years.
Right now, I have two cats, one large male, nine years and the picture of health and a little female that is around sixteen months old.
All the cats I had never go outside, as it's too painful to lose them or have them get injured or killed.
usradcoll1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2019, 5:31 pm   #42
usradcoll1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Not that those three are all the cats I have ever had the pleasure to have shared life with, there are many previous ones.
Steve,
What a great trio of felines! We have had cats for yonks - our current guest is Talulah who appears in my avatar. It is a shame that she really doesn't like other cats very much.
Colin.
It's great to see there is so many cat lover's on this website.
My first-love kitty lived for 19 years.
Right now, I have two cats, one large male, nine years and the picture of health and a little female that is around sixteen months old.
All the cats I had never go outside, as it's too painful to lose them or have them get injured or killed.
I should've never bragged about my 9 YO big black cat being the picture of health. He took sick a few days ago.
Now, he's subject to seizures, resembling epilepsy in a human.
I brought him home and I'll medicate him until the meds run out, then
Old 17th Jun 2019, 6:07 pm   #43
LyntonP
Pentode

We lost our cat two weeks ago. We inherited him from my youngest sons then girlfriend who was moving house around thirteen years ago. During the summer months he would not come into the house other than for food. In the winter months all he wanted to do was sit on my lap and sleep. But every night at bedtime he would disappear outside for the night. If I was in the garden he always encouraged me to sit on the garden bench so he could jump up to be stroked. I last saw him sat in his usual spot and I asked him if he was hungry. Normally he would always come in for food but he never moved. That was the last time I saw him. I have searched for him but to no avail. What made our day even more tragic was the fact that we also lost a friend who was competing in The Isle of Man TT. I have attended the TT for the last ten years as a course marshal but domestic circumstances this year made it impossible. A day to both remember and forget.
Lynton
Old 17th Jun 2019, 8:51 pm   #44
MurphyNut
Heptode

I named our first cat Ambrose, after the great 1930's dance band leader. My wife at first didn't like the name much, but it wasn't long before she conceded it was a good name for a cat.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 9:31 pm   #45
Semir_DE
Triode

Very sorry to hear about your losses. I had to put my beloved cat "Lucy" to sleep because she was terminally ill at only age 7. I know what it feels like to lose a dear pet, they become a member of the family. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do when faced with such a decision. The only thing perhaps is to give a home to another pet from an animal shelter and that is what I ended up doing.

Semir
Semir_DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2019, 9:02 am   #46
G4_Pete
Hexode

After a progressive lung problem had robbed her of any quality of life, a decision was made to have my horse put to sleep.

She was never the best athlete on the field but more than made up for it with her ability to almost read my mind and understand what was needed in fun club activities like weaving in and out of slalom poles or racing up to a tree and getting me close enough to grab a Halloween toy spider then race back across the line against a stopwatch. On a good day we could hold our own against the best and come away with a rosette however that was in the past and towards the end she would get short of breath and need to stop for a rest just walking in from the field. So many memories, like riding out in the first warm days of spring and pricking my fingers collecting a few gorse flowers for her to eat , she loved to eat gorse flowers and would roll her lips out of the way of the spikes to pick them off with her teeth , and other memories like trying to find shelter behind trees when caught riding out in a hailstorm.
I had hoped we would grow old together but it was not to be.

Goodbye faithful friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S_2.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	188267  
G4_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2019, 9:57 am   #47
crackle
Dekatron

Default Lucy

Our 17 year old cat Lucy has been getting steadily worse over the last 3 months following diagnosis of kidney failure.
Lucy was a human cat, she loved our company and if we were in the garden she would be there with us. If we came indoors she would follow us there as well. In the evenings she always wanted to share my wife's chair or sit on my lap, or sit with me in front of my keyboard if I was at the computer. She always had something to say when she saw us, even if it was silent meow.
Last week she spent 2 days in the vets hospital on a drip to try and flush her blood, but it apparently had very little effect.
In the last week since coming out of hospital she has had very little interest in eating, but still drinking massive quantities of water and milk. We have been hand feeding her tasty bits of turkey and beef.
But until last night she always managed to get out of her basket and follow us up to bed.
This morning we made the decision based on the fact that she could hardly stumble to the litter tray that she should be helped to end her life with some dignity..
I have just got back from the vets, she will be very sadly missed.
Our other two younger cats Tom and his mum Meg seem to be unconcerned.

Lucy earlier this month.

Name:	Lucy 1-8-19.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	188268
Mike

My collection in the Radio Museum
crackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2019, 12:26 am   #48
Oldcodger
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
Ours have a sort of armed neutrality. They chase each other, but the cat always has an escape route planned. On the evening walk she follows, but ambushes the dog at any opportunity.
AC/HL- reminds me of my first Cairn. Old fashioned grocer shop ,with bags of stuff on the shop floor. Cat was sitting on a bag and hated dogs. Sandy emerged with cat on his back. Days later, Sandy went into shop and spotted cat on bag with tail on the outside. One stealthy creep and cat got a Cairn nip on the tail. Cat shot six foot in the air. Sandy emerged with a large doggy grin on face.
Oldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2019, 10:09 am   #49
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackle View Post
I have just got back from the vets, she will be very sadly missed.
Our other two younger cats Tom and his mum Meg seem to be unconcerned.
Only just seen this Mike. Very sad and I remember Lucy from the group meet-ups that we have.

The first time I saw Lucy I was amazed that she came when you called her name.....never seen a cat do that before. Mine just sit looking at me whichever name I call...!
Old 15th Aug 2019, 3:00 pm   #50
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post

The first time I saw Lucy I was amazed that she came when you called her name.....never seen a cat do that before. Mine just sit looking at me whichever name I call...!
Ours have always come when called!
Old 16th Aug 2019, 1:19 am   #51
Terry_VK5TM
Heptode

Our cat just sits and looks at you as if to say "what do you want?" when you call her.

As for the dog, well, that's a different story.

I do have to say, I very rarely read these types of threads, as, like all of us, I get very attached to my pets and know how upsetting it is when we have to part company with them for what ever reason. Reaching for the tissues now.

My condolences to those that have lost a pet these last few weeks.
Old 7th Sep 2019, 12:17 am   #52
Oldcodger
Octode

RE #25, that was way back in May. Now in September, the little lady has take our place as hers. Knock on my door and she will let you know she is on guard. But she's got her favourites in who she lets in. My GS, who's AHCD and the last gentle lass could not get close to is now one of her fans. She's totally spoiled. Swimbo ( who is not a dog person) is worst. Lexi does not like dog food,so Swinbo mixes dog food with mince & cooked peas. Swimbo makes a cup of tea- Lexi gets a plate of remains, once it's cooled, or milk. It started in the RSPCA home- Lexi was a timid dog, but jumped into Swimbo 's arms and took to her. This little lady has won over us both- and Swimbo is not usualy a person to fall for a dog.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0398.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	189632  
Old 7th Sep 2019, 10:08 am   #53
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Looks a little cracker!
Old 7th Sep 2019, 10:29 am   #54
G4YVM David
Heptode

I know it's not the same but I had a pair of clown fish till last night. They're about ten years old. Came back to find one swimming in uncontrolled spirals which is the end of a long period of instability. It also had just one eye.

I had to kill it. The shame is it leaves its partner alone. Very sad.
Old 8th Sep 2019, 10:58 pm   #55
Oldcodger
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Looks a little cracker!
Hamish- she is. I often quote a rescue as having "baggage" . Some times it's good baggage as I've had with previous two rescues. This little lady has a loving personality which shows up when she feels safe, and with folks she feels safe around.
But I'm please to find that a cat we rescued from Grandaughter's flat ( he had no idea I was trying to rescue him) and reverted to feral when I caught him. I ended up with a few mangled fingers, but he'd been traumatised by the workmen in the flat. My daughter took him in and got him treated ( and neutered). But could it be that cat thinks back and sees my actions as in it's interests ?. I've met cat in daughter's place and the cat greets me as a friend.
Old 9th Sep 2019, 8:17 am   #56
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

My theory is ,that TLC goes a long way with most animals and of course that is just what they deserve.

Good on you for giving a little lady just that.
Old 9th Sep 2019, 6:50 pm   #57
Lancs Lad
Hexode

You are all used to seeing Bluebell as my avatar (pic1)

Now here's the rest of the family. Megan and TommySilver (pic2) And all three together (Pic3)

Tabitha (their Mother) on my shoulder (Pic4) It's her favourite place when she's showing those three young upstarts who exactly is in charge around here.

Bluebell, Megan and Tommy are two sisters and their brother, born 20th September 2017. Tabitha is their devoted (sometimes!) Mum!

And yes, I admit it, I am in thrall to them - they rule my life!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wp_ss_20190908_0005.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	189837   Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20190908_0003.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	189838   Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20190908_0006.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	189839   Click image for larger version

Name:	wp_ss_20190908_0004.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	189840  

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 9th Sep 2019 at 7:01 pm.
Lancs Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2019, 8:20 pm   #58
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Dogs fit in but Cats rule!
Old 9th Sep 2019, 11:46 pm   #59
Oldcodger
Octode

Hamish, Lexi would say different- she rules, but she wants to do it with love. I've only ever taken in rescue dogs. it's far more rewarding to see a dog starved of love and terrified from past horrors of life start to come to accept you and want to belong because all you've done is to give it love and affection.
The little lady has blossomed. She has a lot of ready made friends care of my last Cairn, who made friends both human and dog. Lexi has yet to awaken to the human element, but she is accepted by the doggy ones.
Hamish- we did not chose Lexi- she chose us. She jumped at the cage when we walked past , shot in and then came back out. RSPCA staff were amazed at how she took to us when we met.
But then, I've added a photo-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lexi on chair.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	189871  
Old 10th Sep 2019, 2:42 am   #60
usradcoll1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
You are all used to seeing Bluebell as my avatar (pic1)

Now here's the rest of the family. Megan and TommySilver (pic2) And all three together (Pic3)

Tabitha (their Mother) on my shoulder (Pic4) It's her favourite place when she's showing those three young upstarts who exactly is in charge around here.

Bluebell, Megan and Tommy are two sisters and their brother, born 20th September 2017. Tabitha is their devoted (sometimes!) Mum!

And yes, I admit it, I am in thrall to them - they rule my life!
The cat on your shoulder looks similar to the little tiger striped mail kitty I adopted a few months ago. When I went to the ASPCA shelter and met him, the lady that was showing him couldn't believe how he took to me.