UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 2nd Apr 2019, 8:26 am   #301
Mike-repairman
Heptode

Default Re: Technology related anachronisms on TV and in films etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
I have just seen a recording of Victoria and commented to my wife that the loco was in BR livery and was not at all Victorian only to be accused of being a nerd and told just to enjoy the programme!!!
I get called that too; usually keep it to myself now.
Mike-repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 9:27 am   #302
ColinTheAmpMan1
Heptode

I saw the film "Red Joan" yesterday. It relates to a woman who gave British secrets on the making of the atomic bomb to the Russians, but was eventually found out when she was in her eighties.

There were a couple of scenes that struck me as being a little inaccurate. One was set in a physics lab at Cambridge University, where the woman in question was studying. She was using an enormous soldering iron to do some work on a Wheatstone bridge and was wearing welding goggles for some reason.

In another scene, she walks into an office where an important chap (subsequently to become her husband, I think) is sitting at a desk with a blackboard behind him. On the blackboard is a feasible-looking diagram of a triode valve circuit. What surprised me was that a cathode bypass capacitor was labelled in nF. This was before WW2 started and I recall capacitors only being labelled with pF or uF up to the sixties and possibly later.

Colin.
ColinTheAmpMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 11:59 am   #303
mole42uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
I saw the film "Red Joan" yesterday. It relates to a woman who gave British secrets on the making of the atomic bomb to the Russians, but was eventually found out when she was in her eighties.

There were a couple of scenes that struck me as being a little inaccurate. One was set in a physics lab at Cambridge University, where the woman in question was studying. She was using an enormous soldering iron to do some work on a Wheatstone bridge and was wearing welding goggles for some reason.

In another scene, she walks into an office where an important chap (subsequently to become her husband, I think) is sitting at a desk with a blackboard behind him. On the blackboard is a feasible-looking diagram of a triode valve circuit. What surprised me was that a cathode bypass capacitor was labelled in nF. This was before WW2 started and I recall capacitors only being labelled with pF or uF up to the sixties and possibly later.

Colin.
Strangely, I noticed both those! Did you also see that the Solon iron had a badly frayed mains cable?

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
mole42uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 12:16 pm   #304
ColinTheAmpMan1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole42uk View Post

Strangely, I noticed both those! Did you also see that the Solon iron had a badly frayed mains cable?
No, I didn't. But I couldn't help feeling that it would have been odd for an undergraduate to be doing any repairs on a Wheatstone bridge - what are technicians for? And what repairs might necessitate a huge soldering-iron (with a frayed cable)?

I'm pretty sure that those with more acute vision (and the ability to stop-frame) will be able to identify some of the chunks of electrical gear piled up at Cambridge and Montreal Universities and other establishments that "Joan Smith" (the secrets-distributor) worked at.

It was interesting that she suggested centrifuging gaseous compounds of uranium to separate the isotopes. I also noticed some mention of heavy water from one of the boffins in Canada. Wasn't that Heisenberg's abortive route to an atom bomb?

I did look out for incongruous and anachronistic TV antennae and the like, with no success. Surprisingly, there were no oscilloscopes in evidence, though they are usually "go-to" props for any science laboratory.

Colin.
ColinTheAmpMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Apr 2019, 4:59 pm   #305
AC/HL

Fourty two posts discussing the TV programme The Repair Shop moved here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=135165
Old 13th Jul 2019, 2:44 pm   #306
m0cemdave
Heptode

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-48954974

Quote:

The R34 airship made the first ever return flight across the Atlantic in 1919, with its crew hailed as heroes.

On its return to the UK, the airship was unexpectedly redirected to Pulham in Norfolk, landing on 13 July.

"It was in the news, it was on the radio - people all around the world would have heard of Pulham."

End quote
m0cemdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2019, 12:43 am   #307
emeritus
Dekatron

No doubt heard on a radio like the one in the first post of this thread! Possibly they meant to say "It was seen in the cinema", given that Pathé filmed the return.
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote