UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2022, 12:25 pm   #1
retailer
Heptode

Default What is this odd addition to mains transformer?

I'm gradually selling off unwanted gear and I came across this mains transformer with an odd addition, the 'hook' is connected to the LH side terminal (with the red wire) by a short section of wire - the hook is fixed and can't move, the spring does not hold a great deal of tension, it is easily unhooked, has anyone come across this sort of thing before, the only explanation I can think of is a sort of crude over temperature disconnect - where the spring has current flowing through it - too much current heats the spring it expands and loses contact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220623_165948.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	259615  
Old 23rd Jun 2022, 12:56 pm   #2
snowman_al
Octode

Default Re: What is this odd addition to mains transformer

Is it from something made by Philips?
I agree its a thermal fuse, but suspect there is a low melting point joint internally that releases a connection when over heated and the spring pulls it open?
Old 23rd Jun 2022, 1:19 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

It looks Phillips to me too.
It is missing the "U" shaped bit with the low melt solder in it.
The hooked bar is supposed to conduct the heat from the overheating transformer windings to the solder blob in the "U" shaped bit allowing the spring to pull the power off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8559.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	259630  
Old 24th Jun 2022, 2:28 am   #4
retailer
Heptode

Thanks for the prompt replies, it looks as if part of the thermal overload is missing I'll probably just bypass for testing

Last edited by Radio Wrangler; 24th Jun 2022 at 3:24 am. Reason: ebay
Closed Thread