UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2022, 10:57 pm   #1
Francis
Triode

Default Vintage Berry Magicoal Electric Fire: Removing Paint

I have quite an old Berry Magicoal electric fire, that I have acquired, which is in great working order and condition, except that it was painted with green Hammerite paint at some time of its life. The original colour of the fire is the usual gold type metallic paint finish done by Berry at the time. I have added an image of a similar model as mine, including the same colour. Is it possible to remove the Hammerite paint without damaging the original paint underneath, which I would like to keep? If it is possible, could you tell me how to remove the paint?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Berry Magicoal Electric Fire.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	253922  
Old 21st Mar 2022, 11:15 pm   #2
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Vintage Berry Magicoal Electric Fire: Removing Paint

I think first you will need find out what the origional paint makeup is. Hammerite is a very tough coating and can be removed, but may damage the origional paint underneath.

Second, why was it painted in the fisrt place?. To suit the house decore? , or was the origional paint damaged in some way?.

Joe
Old 21st Mar 2022, 11:28 pm   #3
Francis
Triode

Hello, Joe,

The person I bought it from said that he couldn't remove the original paint with paint stripper, so he painted it with Hammerite. That was 35 years ago. If he couldn't remove the original paint, then it must be some type of 'baked on paint' maybe? He said he simply painted it because he didn't like the colour. He also said there was no damage to the original paint. Such a shame, really.
Old 21st Mar 2022, 11:43 pm   #4
joebog1
Banned

If so, then you could try some paint stripper in an area that if it doesnt work, or causes damage, will not be visible.
As I said in my fisrt post, hammerite is a very tough light industrial paint and sticks accordingly!!. It may take a little elbow grease as well as paint stripper to achieve a decent job.

Good luck.

Joe
Old 21st Mar 2022, 11:54 pm   #5
Francis
Triode

Thanks, Joe, I'll try that.
Old 22nd Mar 2022, 9:32 am   #6
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Just a thought but if attempting to remove the hammerite paint damaged the original paint, then one way back would be to find an unpainted area of original paint and match that with some new paint and repaint over the existing Hammerite paint after roughing up the surface a bit to get a good kee and a smooth base for the new paint.

Christopher Capener
Old 22nd Mar 2022, 10:52 am   #7
joebog1
Banned

Hammerite is just that!!. It has a hammered finish. If the origional paint was not textured, it will be after painting over the hammerite, which is textured.

Joe
Old 22nd Mar 2022, 3:40 pm   #8
G6ONEDave
Octode

You could try using the Hammerite brush cleaner and thinners, which can be used to thin the paint for spraying. Again try an unseen area first, otherwise perhaps an email to the manufacturers for advice.

Dave
Old 22nd Mar 2022, 3:56 pm   #9
FIXITNOW
Octode

i guess that will be the old version off hammerite its thinners was xylene, you can get that in a pure form so might do the job
Old 22nd Mar 2022, 4:07 pm   #10
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
Hammerite is just that!!. It has a hammered finish. If the origional paint was not textured, it will be after painting over the hammerite, which is textured.

Joe
Could it be possibly a baked-on porcelain enamel like a kettle or cooking pot?
That type of finish is almost impossible to destroy with a caustic remover!
Dave, USradcoll1,
Old 22nd Mar 2022, 4:49 pm   #11
PaulR
Dekatron

My son swears by a paint stripper called Peelaway. He has used it successfully on several things from woodwork to cast iron fireplaces. However - as a teenager I used paint stripper on a chair which I put into an enamelled bath to "keep it safe" whilst being applied. It removed the surface on the bath where it touched so even enamel isn't proof against strong paint stripper.
Old 22nd Mar 2022, 8:09 pm   #12
Francis
Triode

Thank you all for your great answers. I'll try out your methods.

Francis
Old 23rd Mar 2022, 9:51 am   #13
duncanlowe
Nonode

Remember that with paints, the solvent used for thinning won't neccesarily do anything. That's because most paint doesn't simply dry, but cures. That means it changes chemically. It's a good job that's the case because there are products that are painted using a water based paint, and then spend most of the time outside. If the original solvent (water) would remove the paint they would become bare metal in the first rain shower.
Closed Thread