UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2020, 5:35 pm   #1
ajs37
Heptode

Default Sinclair PZ6 PSU

I am trying to sort this PSU out as it is not working - I saw that the bridge rectifier (BR1 on the circuit diagram) had been replaced, according to the polarity on the diagram. Now it is possible to insert the rectifier the wrong way round, so this may be the problem. Looking at the printed circuit diagram (see photo) I am beginning to think I am going doolally. I think BR1 is shown incorrectly in the photo - am I correct, or am I really going soft in the head?
Thanks - all help received gratefully!
Cheers
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200217_161658.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	199189  
Old 17th Feb 2020, 5:47 pm   #2
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Sinclair PZ6 PSU

The circuit diagram looks ok to me but it might be me who's losing the plot.

Alan
Old 17th Feb 2020, 5:47 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The diagram looks OK to me.
Old 17th Feb 2020, 6:10 pm   #4
ajs37
Heptode

ok - it's just me then! I always had problems with diode polarity going back to school physics lessons!

Thanks very much!
Andy
Old 17th Feb 2020, 6:22 pm   #5
llama
Octode

I feel your pain! It's always seemed a bit odd that the positive supply comes out of a cathode - valve or semiconductor. But I rationalise it in my head by thinking of the direction the current flows. It has to be more positive at the diode anode in order to flow as a positive supply into the load. Makes it make sense to me, anyway!
Graham
Old 17th Feb 2020, 6:55 pm   #6
ajgriff
Nonode

If it's any consolation Andy I think we all have brain cell failure over things like this from time to time. When it happens to me I usually resort to 'googling' in an attempt to prove my sanity.

Alan
Old 17th Feb 2020, 11:00 pm   #7
ajs37
Heptode

thanks for the supportive comments chaps!
Old 18th Feb 2020, 8:06 am   #8
crackle
Rest in Peace

The way I look at a bridge rectifier schematic is; the arrow of each diode points in the way that the current flows, so the 2 diodes in the upper half of the bridge with the arrow pointing up are pointing to the +. In the traditional sense the current flows from the + to the -, so the 2 diodes in the bottom of the bridge are also pointing up to allow the current back to the transformer after it has flowed around the circuit..

Mike
Old 18th Feb 2020, 8:38 am   #9
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

One of the nonsenses with electronics in general is that "conventional" current flow is from + to -. However the actual electrons flow from - to +.

The best example is with a valve, where conventional current flows from anode to cathode, but of course the electrons move from cathode to anode.

Craig
Old 18th Feb 2020, 9:59 am   #10
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Craig, I remember being taught the 'fiction' about 'conventional current' back in 1971, so some things don't change with the passing years!
Old 18th Feb 2020, 10:33 am   #11
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

The clue alas is in the word "conventional". Dates back to Benjamin Franklin in the early 1700s, way before anyone knew about the electron and its charge.

Franklin arbitrarily came up with the idea that electricity flowed as a result of excess electrical fluid (+) and a deficit (-). And that is where we get the idea of conventional current. And because it was a convention that everyone used, it was not redefined once Millikan and JJ Thompson determined that negative charge on the electron.

Craig
Old 18th Feb 2020, 10:40 am   #12
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Back to the PZ6, the subject of the OP's questions. Back in the day I bought one of these to power the Sinclair power amps.

Blew it up, twice. Sinclair were pretty good with the guarantee and replaced it twice, with ones they had that had previously been repaired. Basically fried series pass transistor.

So anyway be careful not to short it or take too much current, because there is no overload protection.

Craig
Closed Thread