UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2020, 10:29 am   #1
Shatter
Diode

Default Ferguson Studio 7 refurb - problems with auto switch-off

Hello,

I started to restore my dad's newly bought Ferguson Studio 7 from the 70's which has been sitting in the closet for about 20 years untouched due to a little accident that broke the needle on the arm.. Starting point was that everything was stuck due to the gunked up grease, volume knob was crackling badly and the rest of the knobs turned okay but did not show any functionality.

So far i have disassembled it, cleaned the gunked up grease, relubed appropriate places, changed a new needle, adjusted anti-skate & needle pressure and restored potentiometer functionality.

Currently everything else is working, except the returning of the arm to start position and switching off the turntable in the end of record. When the arm returns it does not lower to the arm stand and switch off, but instead it loops back the start of the record and it is in infinite loop of replaying the record unless i manually stop it. Any ideas where to start looking for the problem?

Here is a short video showing the very problem: https://streamable.com/r8el8

Thank you for any help!

- Mikko
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200118_111025_resized.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	197307   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200118_111031_resized.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	197308   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200103_105129_resized.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	197309  
Old 18th Jan 2020, 11:57 am   #2
Shatter
Diode

Default Re: Ferguson Studio 7 refurb - problems with auto switch-off

Another thing I noticed is that with 12" record the returning of the arm is not initiated and it just keeps running endlessly in the last groove, just like the end of the record is not deep enough near the spindle to start the return function, if you know what I mean. With smaller 10" & 7" discs the return is initiated properly every time. Is this something that can be adjusted or is it simply the record that causes it?

Also, I added some kind of workshop manual for Ferguson Studio 7 to the attachments in case of someone having similar equipment and needing the info.

E: Above 12" issue solved, record with very small run-out-groove was causing the arm not the initiate return.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ferguson_3471_Studio_7.pdf (2.78 MB, 63 views)

Last edited by Shatter; 18th Jan 2020 at 12:27 pm. Reason: Solved.
Old 18th Jan 2020, 12:00 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Most likely there is still some hardened grease somewhere. Have you removed and cleaned the Cam Gear, making sure that the two metal plates are free to move? No grease should be applied to these parts. Access to the cam gear is obtained by removing the platter, which is held in place by a circlip at the base of the turntable spindle- - this may be hidden under a removable trim disc. Once this clip is removed, the turntable should easily lift off, but don't force it if it's stuck-there may be dried grease around the turntable spindle.
Old 18th Jan 2020, 12:08 pm   #4
Shatter
Diode

Yes i did disassemble everything from above the turntable. Platter and cam gear was so stuck they could not be turned by hand at all before cleaning and relubing the spindles. Everything is moving freely now, including the metal plates you mentioned.
Old 18th Jan 2020, 12:09 pm   #5
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatter View Post
Another thing I noticed is that with 12" record the returning of the arm is not initiated and it just keeps running endlessly in the last groove
By last groove do you mean the last groove of constant diameter, or the run-out groove which spirals rapidly towards the centre of the record? It's this run-out groove which initiates the arm return sequence by moving the arm RAPIDLY towards the centre of the record.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8936

If you lift the arm and move it towards the centre of the record does the return sequence start?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Jan 2020, 12:24 pm   #6
Shatter
Diode

Yeah sorry, I'm totally new into record players and their terminology. I have never used one before I started to restore this one, but first time for everything I guess. Learning a lot along the way.

I was talking about the end of the run-out-groove. I just performed some more testing and it seems like it is indeed the record that is causing this. I played a few more 12" records and they are initiating the return normally when the run-out-groove starts. I noticed that the working 12" records have a slightly larger run-out-groove, the record that sometimes does tricks has a very small run-out (which just had to be the one I did testing with Do'h!).
Return sequence also starts okay if the arm is moved by hand.

So, I guess that "issue" got swiftly resolved and therefore the original problem of infinite loop and not switching off remains unsolved.

Last edited by Shatter; 18th Jan 2020 at 12:30 pm.
Old 18th Jan 2020, 12:35 pm   #7
Station X

Lowering of the arm is initated by a pin located in a groove in the cam gear. The cam is designed to move the arm both verically and horrizontally. The groove is not of constant depth.

Somewhere there'll be a linkage or linkages from the cam gear back to the OFF/MAN/REJECT control which returns the control to OFF at the end of the record. You need to trace this linkage and work out why it's not working.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Jan 2020, 3:59 pm   #8
Shatter
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Somewhere there'll be a linkage or linkages from the cam gear back to the OFF/MAN/REJECT control which returns the control to OFF at the end of the record. You need to trace this linkage and work out why it's not working.
You were correct, i had to remove the big plate on top from underneath (attached pic) which actually has a guide pin on it on the inside side. When the arm goes to the run-out-groove and initiates the return function that guide pin pushes one lever slightly in the end of its moving range that in return drops a little limiter out of the way so the switch-off mechanism is engaged.

That little lever in question was stuck with old grease so the guide pin didn't have enough force to move it, instead the pin bent everytime it came in contact with the moving guide pin and did not engage the switch off. Due to the stuck lever basically the mechanism state reseted back to the way it is when you select AUTO. Thus the endless loop of auto start.

Unfortunately i didn't take any photos inside during the disassembly , incase someone comes across similar problem, send me a pm and i'll assist!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200118_111031_resized.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	197478  
Old 17th Feb 2020, 11:19 am   #9
Shatter
Diode

Hello,

Revived record player has been working without a hitch until... i was just listening to FM radio and suddenly loud crackling started through the speakers and as soon as i turned my back to check the player power turned off and smoke started coming out under the table. Now the whole room smells like burnt radio. Thankfully i was in the same room and i was able to remove the power socket from the wall instantly, say max. 5-10seconds from the start of the crackling and smoke.

I removed the table and it seems the power transformer went out, it was very hot and there's a burnt crack on top of it. Any ideas is this caused only because the component being so old? Now i am already thinking what are my options on replacing the original transformer, any known good aftermarket parts? If i ever find a working replacement, hopefully the whole circuit is not dead and i get it back to working order

Added some pictures of the transformer on attachments, hoping someone who might have experience with these parts would chime in and help out!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200217_120243_resized.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	199135   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200217_120256_resized.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	199136   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200217_120332_resized.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	199137  

Last edited by Shatter; 17th Feb 2020 at 11:33 am.
Old 17th Feb 2020, 11:29 am   #10
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Haha! No, your transformer will be fine, it’s the good old mains filter capacitor (look up Rifa!) that has gone up in smoke, snip it out and it should be fine.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 17th Feb 2020, 11:49 am   #11
Shatter
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
Haha! No, your transformer will be fine, it’s the good old mains filter capacitor (look up Rifa!) that has gone up in smoke, snip it out and it should be fine.
Hey!

So total disaster has been probably avoided, more or less... pheww.
Now that you mentioned it and i did some fast googling with the RIFA capacitor, there seems to be many exact similar cases! Crackling and puff of white smoke..

I took the transformer out and found some more info on the capacitor itself. Says 0.1uF on top. I'll desolder it off and go find a replacement for it. Also this unfortunate event burnt the integrated 315mA glass fuse on the player, so renewing that also. Guess i'll be going back to my morning coffee then, though i feel totally awake after this one. No caffeine needed.

I'll report back how this turns out with some new parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200217_123615.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	199141  
Old 17th Feb 2020, 12:26 pm   #12
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I regard those RIFA capacitors as 'change on sight', personally - they seem prone to failure
Old 17th Feb 2020, 4:24 pm   #13
Shatter
Diode

Allrighty.. Local DIY parts store saved me and record player is going strong again. New capacitor is half the size of the old one, too bad its still a RIFA.
Wasn't all bad in the end, the FM reception has been pretty poor and upon re-opening due to this capacitor problem i noticed failed soldering on fm antenna inside and fixed those also.

Thank you again for superb fast help!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200217_165643_resized.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	199180  
Old 17th Feb 2020, 7:09 pm   #14
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Good to hear it’s ok

I had a tape deck in that had also let out the magic smoke, same thing had happened!

My Mum had one of these Ferguson studio 7’s, it lived at my grandparents house for many years, ending up in a pile of junk in the back garden, sadly it got thrown in the skip when we had to clear the garden after my Grandads shed fell down. I remember digging it out of the pile on a visit in the summer, back when I was a teenager, and removing the mains transformer and connecting a load of PP9 batteries up to it and having it playing tapes and the radio in the back garden! It worked very well despite having been outside for years.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 17th Feb 2020, 8:50 pm   #15
AC/HL
Dekatron

The replacement capacitor is Metallised Polypropylene, rather than the paper of the old one. Chalk and cheese!
Closed Thread