UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2019, 2:27 pm   #21
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Coughtrie light

Here's mine. Now with an LED lamp in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coughtrie.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	195604  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 19th Dec 2019, 5:49 pm   #22
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
The use of copper grease (or copper slip) is a bit like the use of WD-40, in that you have to know where to use it and where NOT to use it. Keep the copper grease well away from that alloy, the copper content will react with it, particularly when the grease content dries out with the heat from the lamp. It should be used on 'ferrous' metals ONLY, ie, iron and steel.

I expect that a few people will disagree with the above, but ordinary standard grease is the way to go on this one.
There are Aluminium-based anti-seize lubricants available: I'd suggest that these would probably be better than Copaslip. A Moly-grease would also be a good choice, since the molybdenum component is likely to remain to some extent after the original grease has dried-out/degraded.

When screwing things into aluminium or aluminium-alloys, the choice of screw-material is important - to avoid corrosion you need a screw made from something as close as possible in the Electrochemical Series to aluminium. Various 1950s TV-antenna manufacturers found out the hard way that brass junction-box terminals and extruded-aluminium antenna-elements had a short life, moreso when they were installed a few feet away from a chimney-pot that was belching the combustion-products of high-sulphur coal, Anthracite etc!
Old 19th Dec 2019, 8:46 pm   #23
McMurdo
Dekatron

flicking through a 1950's electrical wholesaler's catalogue shows many manufacturers of the time making very similar fittings. Coughtrie are in there, Revo, Heyes-Lacent & Dorman.
Old 20th Dec 2019, 11:41 am   #24
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex 2 Base View Post
a smear of copper grease on each screw
No! Sorry, definitely not copper grease. That's why I particularly said a dab of 'ordinary' grease.

The use of copper grease (or copper slip) is a bit like the use of WD-40, in that you have to know where to use it and where NOT to use it. Keep the copper grease well away from that alloy, the copper content will react with it, particularly when the grease content dries out with the heat from the lamp. It should be used on 'ferrous' metals ONLY, ie, iron and steel.

I expect that a few people will disagree with the above, but ordinary standard grease is the way to go on this one.
How about silicone grease? It's my "go to" for any screws that might rust or seize and it's water repellant too.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Dec 2019, 12:28 pm   #25
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I use Vaseline on the screws in mine. Never had a problem yet!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 20th Dec 2019, 9:52 pm   #26
ToneArm
Pentode

I had to cut the dome off and drill out the sheared bolt from the top. I'll re-assemble with a M5 bolt and a dome head nut to resemble the old casting, once repainted. Is there any problem using stainless bolts with aluminium?
Glyn
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 1:25 am   #27
emeritus
Dekatron

Here's a photo of what I now know is our Coughtrie outside light. No idea of its age, it was here when we moved here nearly 40 yeas ago and I had never bother to check who made it. When changing the bulb a decade or so ago, the gasket disintegrated and I replaced it with a home-made "O" ring made from some RS polyureathane belting. I have never had any problems with seized screws. It is earthed via the sheath of the mineral insulated cable. I guess there must be an opening or unblanked cable entry at the back as the glass manages to collect the odd insect and there is no other way in.

I was interested to hear that lamps of this type are still available. I wanted to buy another similar corner lamp for the back garden when we had an extension built last year. However, the local electrical suppliers said they weren't aware of any lamps of this type so I fitted conventional bulkheads instead.

It is now fitted with a 20W CFL lamp. In this application the fact that that CFL stick lamps produce much greater illumination sideways than end-on is no disadvantage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Coughtrie .jpg
Views:	295
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	195687  
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 1:09 pm   #28
Lancs Lad
Heptode

That CFL looks like a bit of a squeeze, emeritus, and apparently they don't take kindly to being inside enclosed fittings, or to cold frosty conditions

I have these (see pic) in mine. They're 10 watt LED filament bulbs, and produce the equivalent of a 100 watt incandescent, with almost identical colour temperature.

Instant full brightness too. No waiting for the CFL to warm up!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wp_ss_20191222_0002.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	195708  

Peter.
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 2:30 pm   #29
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I might have to get one of those bulbs for ours, there is a 60W incandescent bulb in it currently.

Coughtrie SW10 gaskets are available on eBay currently, think they were £7.99, bit pricey for a bit of rubber I know, but it is the correct size, and should last a fair while. The original gasket wraps around the lip of the glass dome, rather than being a flat ring like the gasket for the FS10.

CFL’s should be ok in these fittings, as they are not entirely sealed, the bracket end of the swan neck is actually open, which is probably why bugs get into them. The finned design of the SW10 probably offers some heat sinking too. I actually semi- filled the hole at the bracket end of the swan neck on ours, just left a small hole for expansion, keeps all the big bugs out of it!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 27th Dec 2019, 11:08 am   #30
ToneArm
Pentode

All done. Here's a pic of my lamp ready to go up. The drilled out bolt has been replaced with a M5 stainless cap head screw and dome nut. It is the one on the left - it's an obvious repair if you're looking for it but quite unobtrusive, even close up. Very pleased with it.
Cheers
Glyn
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A9123362-BC25-44C8-BFF5-9453B1BF29DE.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	195911  
Old 27th Dec 2019, 11:43 am   #31
Lancs Lad
Heptode

That's very nice, Glyn. Just the same as the one that was on our old garage for years. Sadly, it was inadvertently 'lost' when the garage was demolished

The bolts were fixed to the collar though, and were secured by wing-nuts on top.

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 27th Dec 2019 at 11:53 am.
Old 27th Dec 2019, 2:30 pm   #32
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

A modern alternative? being ip44 rated stick any es27 bulb in there you like. Plastic version cheaper.

https://www.bltdirect.com/outdoor-ip...lantern-silver

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 27th Dec 2019 at 2:42 pm.
Old 27th Dec 2019, 4:56 pm   #33
julie_m
Dekatron

I think I might be tempted to do the other side just so it matched, but that's just my OCD speaking. And I haven't just done the hard work of drilling and filing it myself nor carried a heavy and fragile glass bowl carefully up a scary ladder, so I'm perhaps not in the best position to say how noticeable it will be from floor level -- particularly since the nut is going to be in the shadow of the lamp housing when it's on!
Old 27th Dec 2019, 5:16 pm   #34
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I don't know about spotting the repair Glyn-it looks brand new to me
I was happy, like others, to discover that my long lived outside lamp is a classic [Lloyd put up a picture at post 3*] but I think the design of yours is superior. I can't do anything to change that but I may go for a rich colour instead of grey when I move mine to a more discrete location [p 17*].

This is a shed I created by adding wooden sides and a top on to a small buttressed concrete building sunk in the ground down the garden. For a long time we assumed it was an Air Raid Shelter [common in this neck of the woods] but the lead pipes in the corner and the sharp drop down inside were a puzzle.
There used to be a Manor House with extensive grounds at the top of the [Bex] hill, now all built on, so the next theory was an Ice House. It was only when we met a previous owner from the 1950's that we learned the structure had been a "feeder" for fish ponds lower down the slope, in more Aristocratic days! I call it the TANK which puzzles a few people who assume I'm pursuing a military theme. I did also use to suggest it had been built by the Romans who are known for their incredibly hard concrete.
The doorway is fairly narrow but there is no way I would attempt to widen it.

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 27th Dec 2019 at 5:43 pm.
Old 27th Dec 2019, 6:07 pm   #35
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Ooh, Dave! Sounds most intriguing! You must live in a very interesting old house!

Any chance of some photos, please? Absolutely fascinating.

Yes, Julie, those glass 'globes' are very solid and weighty. They made quality stuff in those days!

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 27th Dec 2019 at 6:19 pm.
Old 27th Dec 2019, 6:07 pm   #36
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

That light looks really nice, I like the colour you have chosen for it.

I’ve got 2 more FS10’s in the shed to play with, one is a corner mount one, and the other is one just for a flat wall. I’ve also got a couple of SP6 bulkheads too.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 27th Dec 2019, 6:20 pm   #37
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Lucky you, Lloyd!
I'm envious.

I really like the FS-10. There used to be an electrical stall in Lancaster Market that had them for sale (in the 1990s) and I always coveted one. They were probably NOS (it was that kind of stall) but, in hindsight, an absolute bargain at £29.99p!

Sadly, I could never justify spending what was then (to me) a lot of money on a light fitting that I had no actual use for.

I really wish now that I had bought one (and to hell with food for a week!)

I do have a very old one, but I would have loved a brand-new version, with that lovely stylish corner bracket

Peter.
Old 27th Dec 2019, 8:16 pm   #38
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Here's one right on the end of Bournemouth Pier https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.71...=en&authuser=0 (though I don't quite know whats gone wrong with the image)
Old 27th Dec 2019, 8:26 pm   #39
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
Yes, Julie, those glass 'globes' are very solid and weighty. They made quality stuff in those days!
Were you thinking at any point during the operation, of the chandelier scene from Only Fools and Horses?
Old 27th Dec 2019, 9:35 pm   #40
Lancs Lad
Heptode

No, Julie, I wasn't.

I just know how satifyingly heavy those lovely Coughtrie glass lamp enclosures are.

Peter.
Closed Thread