UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl NVCF), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Old Yesterday, 12:38 pm   #21
GrimJosef
Nonode

Default Re: Audiojumble Sun 16th Feb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
I was just surprised, as this wasn't mentioned on the Audiojumble website. Anyone reading that would have no way of knowing that arriving around noon could prove disappointing ...

At other similar expos (model engineering, model railway exhibitions and the like) I'd be very surprised to see a lack of stalls around teatime ...
Ah. I think you're mixing it up with an expo.

It's a jumble sale. First rule of jumble sales - 'you'd better be at the front of the queue '.

Cheers,

GJ
Old Yesterday, 4:00 pm   #22
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

It might seem a bit of a no-brainer for us to to get to the Jumble from Bexhill but Reelguy [Peter] and I know from experience that's not always the case. The A21 was closed.
Apart from this event I've seen what can go wrong when there's a Music festival at Hop Farm. Overall East Sussex has just a few miles of motorway which sort of sums things up. I mentioned all the factors creating a "perfect storm" in the "Storm Dennis" thread [post 20]. A flooded car park at The Angel might have been a clincher. It seems to have become increasingly difficult to park there in recent years anyway, even with good weather conditions and the diversions etc made it a difficult decision. Once you're stuck that can be it

I'm glad people got there all the same but I don't think arriving late in the day was a good move under Sunday's rather exceptional conditions. I doubt that the 4pm rule/guidance should applies in a situation like that. People need to get away safely and without them turning up in the first place there's no event anyway! Given it's an International event I did wonder if concerns about the current Flu Virus might influence attendance but it would seem to be mainly weather and transport issues.

Dave W
dave walsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 8:00 pm   #23
electronicskip
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
I was just surprised, as this wasn't mentioned on the Audiojumble website. Anyone reading that would have no way of knowing that arriving around noon could prove disappointing ...

At other similar expos (model engineering, model railway exhibitions and the like) I'd be very surprised to see a lack of stalls around teatime ...
Ah. I think you're mixing it up with an expo.

It's a jumble sale. First rule of jumble sales - 'you'd better be at the front of the queue '.

Cheers,

GJ
Same as carboot sales be there at the front of the queue,although it does annoy me when you see sellers packing up at 10.30am!! albeit most carboot sales are free entry.
Old Today, 12:41 am   #24
bikerhifinut
Octode

So you turn up to a Audiojumble 6 hours after the event starts and somehow expect there to be stalls heaving with secondhand bargain hifi?
At 2pm I'm as often as not getting myself psyched up for the 350 mile drive home which will still take me until nearly midnight especially if the usual mayhem happens somewhere on the M25/M40/M6 journey through hell.
and I'm not getting any younger, nor is my car.
As an aside, as GJ has so well explained, it's a sort of bring and buy sale, the idea of stall holders is to flog their gear and once their stock is gone, it's gone.
In past years before the top price 8am entry there was a lot of kit hoovered up by dealers, much as what happens at the start of boot sales. I mainly go now because I have made a lot of good friends through my DIY and Audio hobby and most of us go with a strict budget and enjoy the social aspect.
There's an awful lot of business movers and shakers attend, many sort of "incognito" for want of a better word. its an interesting Bash.

A.

Last edited by bikerhifinut; Today at 12:55 am.
bikerhifinut is offline   Reply With Quote