UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2020, 12:18 am   #1
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default GPO Dial No. 21CA not quite "normal"

Hello everone,

I've just spent an hour stripping, cleaning and oiling a Dial No. 21CA from a 1964 type 706 telephone. It now works perfectly in all respects. Having a bit of clock mending experience made this a straightforward job, with no lost bits or leftover hardware, fortunately. I also took plenty of photos as I went along.

The only odd thing is that the holes in the finger plate don't quite line up with the chevrons when the dial in its normal position (i.e. at rest). It needs a very slight clockwise twist to make things look just right, but then of course, as soon as you let go, it goes back to it's mis-aligned position. It's not a big deal, but...

The position seems to be defined hex-headed screw which engages with the screw on the central brass boss, but I can't see any means of adjustment.

I'm assuming that this has happened as a result of my work on the dial mechanism, but I can't be absolutely certain that it wasn't like this when I received it.

Help, please!

Nick
Old 25th Jan 2020, 10:21 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: GPO Dial No. 21CA not quite "normal"

A not very good photo...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A675BBC-3DE5-4C1D-B6D3-7677D2EEFED8.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	197723  
Old 25th Jan 2020, 11:35 am   #3
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

I've never had one that far off, though quite a few where I've had to hold the dial against the stop whilst tightening the screw.

I suppose you could cheat and put a bit of heat-shrink or some-such on the internal screw to fatten it up. Maybe it's worn down on one side and a slight loosening would help. Just guessing.
Old 25th Jan 2020, 12:34 pm   #4
ajgriff
Nonode

Many years ago I had to repair one of these and seem to recall having a similar issue but unfortunately can't now remember the soultion. You've probably already looked at it but the diagrams in this link might help:

https://www.britishtelephones.com/howdial.htm

Alan
Closed Thread