UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2004, 4:38 pm   #1
TNC
Hexode

Default Ekco Dual-Standard T458 (same as Pye U11-circa'63) - removing tuner knob

I should be grateful for any advice wrt removing the turret tuner control knob on one of these dual-standard sets.
If I pull the control knob as far forward as possible, there appears to be a nasty little plastic wedge that presumably fits into some sort of key-way on the control shaft. Needless to say it is almost impossible to gain sufficient access to attack it although I have applied needle-nosed pliers - but the only thing I have succeded in doing is to scratch the fascia panel - wonderful!
To make a decent restoration I really need to remove the set from its cabinet and this is the remaining hurdle.
I am beginning to consider using a tank-cutter (the diameter of the cabinet hole) to part the control knob outer from its centre - and making up some sort of replacement metal knob which I can then attach to the control shaft in a " sensible fashion " - thereafter re-attaching the outer to this fabrication and in some way bodging a centre mount-fixing for the circular metal (gold sprayed) escutchen centre.
Am I completely mad to spend time doing this :P
Old 18th Nov 2004, 6:00 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Ekco Dual-Standard T458 (same as Pye U11-circa

Hi
I remember these (I think)
The paxolin wedge needs to be pushed back from its narrow end - there is a C-shaped spring pressing against it. I used to use a small steel ruler for this - if you push it back flush with the knob boss, the knob should come off.
I remember these chassis as a sea of sticky wax!
Old 18th Nov 2004, 8:24 pm   #3
TNC
Hexode

Thanks Mike - I have tried......but the paxolin is fragmenting where I have been trying to push it and at the same time shows no sign of shifting at all !!! !!!
As to the wax....yes well I have changed about 10 of the time-base caps some of which looked as if they had just emerged from the fryer in my local chippie! But now it's working very well - I just need to get to the tuner to clean its contacts - at the moment 405 is a version of NTSC - never twice the same contrast !
Old 18th Nov 2004, 9:22 pm   #4
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello there.

Should you manage to remove the VHF turret tuner knob but destroy the phenolic wedge/key, I have loads of spares.

The Pye TV11 series is one of my favourite sets - after all those " TCC " branded wax capacitors have been replaced!

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 19th Nov 2004, 8:52 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Thanks Mike - I have tried......but the paxolin is fragmenting where I have been trying to push it and at the same time shows no sign of shifting at all !!! !!!
OK, I would next try to tap the key out with a punch - piece of steel rod with a flat end. With luck, the knob will survive.
Yes - these sets performed really well, as did the later hybrid s/std chassis - resolved all the bars on the test card!

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 29th Dec 2004 at 1:30 pm.
Old 20th Nov 2004, 1:36 pm   #6
TNC
Hexode

Update: Attacked problem again and discovered that in the recess of the tuner-knob (under its gold-sprayed metal circular trim-piece) there are three very small holes. Closer examination showed these to contain micro-sized rivets - so I carefully drilled them out whereupon the tuner-knob detached from its plastic centre-boss. Access to the wedge securing the boss was then much easier and I removed it without further difficulty. However there is a problem in that the front face of the boss (...where the rivets are anchored) is cracked and fragile - so I have now to locate a 2ndhand or NOS example!
As for re-installation - assuming I can find a boss, I am left wondering whether micro-rivets are available? Otherwise I think it will be a case of finding fine nuts/bolts. Does anyone have any experience of micro-rivets?
Old 20th Nov 2004, 6:35 pm   #7
Station X

Hello TNC.

If it's solid iron/copper/brass rivets with round or countersunk heads you're looking for, then these are available from model engineer's suppliers in sizes down to 1/32 " diameter. Try a google search on REEVES2000 and GLR DISTRIBUTORS. They do mail order. If you can tell me exactly what you want I may have some in my " stores " which you can have.

To set the rivets you'll need somthing to support the rivethead (back of the vice?) and something to flatten the stem (small ball pein hammer, or hammer and small punch). A press with suitable mandrels would be best, but if you had those you wouldn't be asking the question!

If on the other hand you are looking for bifurcated rivets (stem split lengthways so that legs can be bent back), or hollow stemmed rivets (stem forms a tube the edges of which can be bent back), then I can't help with a supplier.

It sounds like these rivets are not visible. Could you use very small BA screws/bolts and nuts instead? These are available from the same suppliers plus model aircraft shops, or I may have some about somewhere.

Graham.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Nov 2004, 10:06 pm   #8
TNC
Hexode

Thanks vm Graham and Mike for your assistance: I have looked at the fitting and decided to go for a nut/bolt solution rather than replacing the rivets. Hopefully it won't present a problem in the future...but just in case, I think a nut/bolt will always come apart reasonably easily - and avoid a second drilling operation. I have the correct size so no need to take up your kind offers.
Thanks again,
TNC
Closed Thread