UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2010, 11:34 am   #1
jimmyjo
Retired Dormant Member

Default GEC Set F MK1.

I have seen a GEC set F MK1 telephone and I'm thinking of buying it, can any one tell me any thing about these as I can't find any info on the net.. ie How much I should have to pay etc.. it looks in great condition! Thanks
Old 16th Sep 2010, 12:57 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: GEC Set F MK1.

If you intend using it, have a look inside and see if the wiring has gone gooey or brittle (it can do both) and check for corrosion, etc... Dunno about a MkI, but there're some MkII 'F's on my 'Flickr' pages here. Check for corrosion inside and leaky capacitors. Put your fingers across the terminals and crank the magneto. You should feel a tingle; the less you have to crank to obtain a tingle, the better the magneto generator will be. I have a feeling that the MkI has an older horseshoe-type magnet arrangement rather than the newer 'Alnico' magnet type of the MkII.

I would pay between £5.00 and £25.00 depending on condition; maybe £30.00 if it comes with its original wooden box.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 16th Sep 2010 at 1:48 pm. Reason: unnecessary quote removed
Old 20th Sep 2010, 3:22 pm   #3
jimmyjo
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: GEC Set F MK1.

Thanks for that Russel All the best JimmyO
Closed Thread