UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2010, 8:41 pm   #1
rightsidebrain
Retired Dormant Member

Default AEP 332 ADSL Filter Problem

Hi, I recently bought an AEP 332 telephone.

It works perfectly when plugged directly into the main wall socket, but when plugged into an ADSL filter, it doesn't ring at all.

I rang the telephone from my mobile and the two could connect fine, but it just didn't make any sound.

Any ideas of how to fix this?
Old 9th Sep 2010, 8:56 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: AEP 332 ADSL Filter Problem

See this thread or search the Vintage Telephone section for ADSL and you'll find other threads on the subject.

This is a common problem these days, if 'problem' is the word. It's just a matter of adapting old technology to suit new.
Old 9th Sep 2010, 9:08 pm   #3
rightsidebrain
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the swift response.

However, I know next to nothing about these things and having read the thread that you pointed me towards, I am still very confused.

In layman's terms, what should I do?
Old 9th Sep 2010, 10:36 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Firstly, are you sure the telephone has been properly converted for PST (Plug and Socket)? If it hasn't its REN number might be adverse, especially if other telephones are connected at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsidebrain View Post
It works perfectly when plugged directly into the main wall socket, but when plugged into an ADSL filter, it doesn't ring at all.
This isn't clear. Do you mean you only have a master socket and have plugged the filter into that, or is the filter plugged into an extension socket?

What is your master socket, an NTE5 or older? The NTE5 is a tad bigger and has a removable section of the front plate, rather like these shown on here.
Old 9th Sep 2010, 11:21 pm   #5
rightsidebrain
Retired Dormant Member

My apologies, let me try to be a little clearer with my explanation.

I only have one phone socket in my flat and I do not know whether it is the master socket or an extension.

When the telephone is plugged into this socket directly (as pictured below) I am able to make and receive phone calls perfectly.

However when I try to plug in an ADSL filter into the phone socket, splitting the signal between the ADSL line and the phone itself like this...

... the phone no longer rings.

I can make calls and receive calls from mobiles, but no ringing sound at all is emitted from the phone.

Oh and in case I have provided the incorrect telephone model, here is a picture of the telephone itself...

Is that any more help? Sorry, I don't know much about these kind of things
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00017.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	40290   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00016.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	40291   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00018.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	40292  
Old 10th Sep 2010, 8:16 am   #6
Station X

It would appear that your microfilter only supports 2 wire ringing as used by modern phones, but not 3 wire ringing as used by vintage phones.

Try another filter of different manufacture, or fit a splitter face plate. As you have no extension wiring it will just be a screw in replacement for the lower half of your master jack.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

I would remove the lower half of your master jack and compare it with the rear view of the splitter to make sure it will fit before ordering.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Sep 2010, 9:23 am   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

As Graham says those little cheap plug-in filters often don't support three wire ringing because they don't have the ringing capacitor (or the one fitted isn't large enough).

Another filter (the type that is a box on the end of a short lead) may well work better. It could improve your ADSL speed a bit too.

I have several spare here so if you send me your address by PM (Private Message) I'll pop one in the post to you. No guarantees that it will work with your phone though, and it's not such a good solution as the faceplate filters others have suggested.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th Sep 2010, 6:34 pm   #8
rightsidebrain
Retired Dormant Member

Blimey, that would be very nice of you!

I shall PM you my address now.

Thank-you all for your help.
Old 11th Sep 2010, 1:10 am   #9
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

I got a bit fed up with the look of the filters ( and having to have one fitted at every socket ) ,so I decided to try a get round - and had it confirmed on the makers site ( the now defunct Excelsus site -they appear to have been taken over),for my filters Excelsus z-blocker z-420uk. Looking at the problems ( and the idea that it could be caused by the cap in some filters, this might be another way round it . From looking at the plug ins for BT NTE , looks like they do it in one ,whereas my idea ( and possibly the same as other s) uses another slave socket)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d134/dave_h_/ADSL.jpg
Old 11th Sep 2010, 11:21 am   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightsidebrain View Post
Blimey, that would be very nice of you!

I shall PM you my address now.

Thank-you all for your help.
It's in the post today.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th Sep 2010, 3:28 pm   #11
rightsidebrain
Retired Dormant Member

Thank-you Paul, you are a star!
Old 12th Sep 2010, 10:15 pm   #12
JCM3000
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
It would appear that your microfilter only supports 2 wire ringing as used by modern phones, but not 3 wire ringing as used by vintage phones.

Try another filter of different manufacture, or fit a splitter face plate. As you have no extension wiring it will just be a screw in replacement for the lower half of your master jack.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

I would remove the lower half of your master jack and compare it with the rear view of the splitter to make sure it will fit before ordering.
I have my drop line going to an NTE5 with a similar replacement front plate which is sited next to my router etc in my "server room" (cupboard under the stairs!). The broadband router plugs into the ADSL socket and the lines to my 'phone sockets are run from the back of the front plate and are all therefore ready filtered. It means I don't need any ADSL filters and have improved broadband speed.
Old 15th Sep 2010, 10:56 pm   #13
rightsidebrain
Retired Dormant Member

Hi! So just to let you all know, thanks to the wonderous Paul Stenning and the filter that he kindly posted to me, everything is now working fine.

Thank-you everyone for your help and thanks again Paul for the filter.
Closed Thread