UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2010, 9:11 pm   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default BT Tribune 100

I think this just about counts as vintage!

I've just fixed one of these for a friend. Some buttons were intermittent so a spot of aquadag on the conductive rubber pads sorted the problem.

My question is about a switch on the underside marked "Message Waiting". Has 2 positions, MW1 and MW2. Can anyone tell me what this is for? Is it something to do with the 1571 messaging system? Can't find a user guide to download either, hence asking here.
Old 8th Aug 2010, 9:36 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: BT Tribune 100

For PABX use I think
Old 9th Aug 2010, 8:14 pm   #3
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: BT Tribune 100

Hi,
Whilst not being sure about the two positons for the Message waiting switch, some service providers (Mainly BT I think) may provide a facility where a Message waiting lamp illuminates on the telephone to alert the user to the fact that a Voice mail has been left.

As has already been mentioned it is mainly a PBX based facility but has probably been released for public use by some providers with the advent of modern electronic switches (Exchanges)

Thinking about this the two positions could relate to the way that the exchange signals the message waiting alert, the stutter dial tone will always be present when a voice mail has been left but the lamp will be illuminated either by a line reversal or possibly a voltage on one of the pair legs with respect to true earth (not the exchange A leg which isn't at true earth potential in practice), via the recall switching arrangements.

Regards
Andrew

Last edited by AndiiT; 9th Aug 2010 at 8:17 pm. Reason: removed unwanted commas
Closed Thread