UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 1st Aug 2010, 7:26 pm   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Bell No1A and a 232?

I like the idea of making use of a bell No 1A that came in my edwardian house. Am I right in thinking that a 232 would be the best choice as all I would need is a capacitor? Do I need a specific model or are they all the same?
Old 1st Aug 2010, 11:50 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Bell No1A and a 232?

You wouldn't need a capacitor, as the capacitor in the master LJU now undertakes the function of the capacitor once located in the telephone (or bellset).

According to Bob's telephone pages, the 1A is suitable for 16⅔ Hz ringing frequency only (original sub-cycle ringing, ⅓ mains-frequency). Modern ringing uses 25 Hz (½ mains frequency), and so may not ring satisfactorily. Worth a try, though!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 12:02 am   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bell No1A and a 232?

The 232 usually operates with Bellset No.26 and may look a tad silly with a wooden 1A. It's up to you though and, as Russell says, try it. Post #1 reads, however, as if you've not actually got a 232 yet although it's not entirely clear.

Woody bell(set)s are more familiar operating in conjunction with the 150 'candlestick', more specifically Bellset No.1 I think it was.
Closed Thread