UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2008, 4:28 pm   #61
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: Missing Sets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreenSaver View Post
Model 1400SJ from 1970 - 24" Single Standard 625 with UHF and VHF varicap tuning.
ScreenSaver
Ooooh, that's much nicer than my one! Here it is:

www.beocentral.com/products/bvis1400

It looks tidy enough but it has the LOPT from an ITT VC300 (I think that's what it was...) with extra windings put on for the AGC system etc and the tuner from a Grundig 5010GB (again fitted with a far amount of messing about), both to replace the missing originals. I've also had to give the tube (A61-120W) a little "tickle" as well, though that's the least of my problems!
Old 17th Mar 2008, 10:19 pm   #62
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
Ooooh, that's much nicer than my one! Here it is:

www.beocentral.com/products/bvis1400

It looks tidy enough but it has the LOPT from an ITT VC300 (I think that's what it was...) with extra windings put on for the AGC system etc and the tuner from a Grundig 5010GB (again fitted with a far amount of messing about), both to replace the missing originals. I've also had to give the tube (A61-120W) a little "tickle" as well, though that's the least of my problems!
I think THE LOPT would have come from the excellant ITT/KB VC200 mono chassis. The VC300 was ITT/KB's early batt mains portable set, these too are very rare now.
A set that I can remember as one of our first rental sets was a Pye 19" dual standard mono set calling itself the Pye transistor. It was a hybrid set with a intergrated 6 push button tuner. When you selected a station the black button would come back out white. Quite a few times the white buttons would come flying out of the set firing right across the room at great speed, this of course would mean a call out for TV engineer to fit a new button to the tuner. That apart it was a very good set working well on both 405 line channels and if you plugged the 405 line aerial into the UHF socket you could get a snowy BBC2 picture as well. I think this set dates back to 1966. The later Pye 267 and 368 chassis used a rotary intergrated tuner because of the past problems with the push button tuner.
I would love to find out more about this set as it was the first telly (that I can recall) that our family rented.

Last edited by Hybrid tellies; 17th Mar 2008 at 10:26 pm.
Old 29th Mar 2008, 11:49 pm   #63
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
I can't quite beleive that all the 9000's are gone, we used to sell loads of those. The 9600 was always rather rarer, shame because it was a much better proposition than the 9000 or the 9800
If I'm not very much mistaken, there's a great one on eBay at the moment under the title of "retro 70's original TV". At least I think it's a 9600.
Old 30th Mar 2008, 12:07 am   #64
stuie319
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman1966 View Post
If I'm not very much mistaken, there's a great one on eBay at the moment
Taz thats nice indeed The cabinet is very similar to a decca 100 console that sleeps in my basement. Its a shame its so far away or i'd be evicting something to make space for that (and might yet do). Looks like a 9600 to me

Regards
Stu
Old 29th Apr 2008, 10:26 pm   #65
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

How about these which have all (to my knowledge!) vanished without trace?!

Berryvision 510 (I had one once!)

Tyne 5221

Forgestone 400/500 Build-it-Yourself Kits!

Can anybody enlighten me on that ITT/Greatz or ITT/SEL Stacking Thingy that was a CTV, Audio, Tuner, Cassette and (possibly even!) CD Multi that had multi-contact plugs top & bottom of each unit & you could stack 'em how you pleased? I'd like to put my Gaffer out of his misery & find one!

Chris Williams
Old 29th Apr 2008, 10:49 pm   #66
Zelandeth
Heptode

I'll throw one into the "Missing Sets" question bin.

ITT/Kolster Brandes KV024 "Deep Scene". Black oraglass front, VC51/1 chassis. I know of only one other than the one I've got, never seen another one appear here since I joined (it was what spurred me into doing so as I hadn't a clue what I was doing with it).

They seem to have pretty much disappeared without trace.

http://zelandeth.artamir.org/oldtech...24/profile.jpg

Last edited by Zelandeth; 29th Apr 2008 at 10:50 pm. Reason: Added Photo
Old 30th Apr 2008, 1:55 pm   #67
ianj
Heptode

Ah! One of those K-B's turned up at Gerrys last year, and went off for a new life somewhere near Bournemouth?? ianj
Old 30th Apr 2008, 1:56 pm   #68
ianj
Heptode

The only sets that I see now at the tip are modernish late 80s early 90s heaps, and widescreens........................ianj
Old 30th Apr 2008, 5:26 pm   #69
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

I would love one of those sets. Really unusual and such a good idea. Although I expect the tube would have to be driven fairly hard ..

I remember seeing something on Tomorrows World in the early 1980s about a new TV with dark screen to reduce reflection, wonder why that idea never seemed to take off either? (except to a degree on computer monitors)
Old 30th Apr 2008, 6:02 pm   #70
Zelandeth
Heptode

From what I've heard, the KV024 was plagued by short tube life - though whether that was somewhat down to the tube itself or the necessary drive levels to get sufficient brightness I'm not sure. I *think* it's an A27/11W tube in mine - which is knackered unfortunately.

Lovely looking thing, and the VC51 chassis is easy to work on (even in my case when I had to reverse engineer many years of bodging before actually tracking down faults). Does double as a very effective space-heater though. ...and I think I got lucky with my system switch, which actually worked straight away.

From what I remember it was horribly expensive at the time as well, I seem to recall hearing a figure of around £59 being quoted when I started investigating, which based on the RPI index looks to have been an equvialent of around £700 in today's money when the set was new.
Old 30th Apr 2008, 9:11 pm   #71
Mikey405
Octode

How about the RBM "Slimstyle" 26" 110-degree delta sets? I don't think I've EVER seen one of those. I can't think of the chassis number although Z179 springs to mind. They had a single large vertically-mounted motherboard like their monochrome cousins of the time. I've got a nice colourful brochure advertising them somewhere, and maybe even a service manual. Now if I only had one of the sets themselves...

From Mike.
Old 30th Apr 2008, 9:20 pm   #72
Line whistle
Hexode

I remember hearing many years ago that Murphy made two Tv's in the sixties, one with a "Paisley" pattern on the cabinet and thew other with Tv programme
names covering the cabinet. I don't know if there is any thruth behind this.

Cheers,Des.
Old 30th Apr 2008, 9:24 pm   #73
Line whistle
Hexode

What about this Ferranti T.1246 circa 1949?
Cheers, Des.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0006.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	16843  
Old 30th Apr 2008, 9:27 pm   #74
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth
I'll throw one into the "Missing Sets" question bin.

ITT/Kolster Brandes KV024 "Deep Scene". Black oraglass front, VC51/1 chassis. I know of only one other than the one I've got, never seen another one appear here since I joined (it was what spurred me into doing so as I hadn't a clue what I was doing with it).

They seem to have pretty much disappeared without trace.
Hi Zelandeth.

I just found an old KB brochure which has a set very similar to yours in it (a KV034 as opposed to a KV024). It looks very similar except for a vertical speaker grille and knobs in a slightly different place.

The advertisement reads:

Quote:
This is KB's unique Deep Scence TV. Beautiful on -- Deep Scene delivers a picture that is softer, easier to watch. A picture of photographic clarity even in a brightly lit room. A totally different kind of TV. Beautiful off. Deep Scene is the only TV that doesn't stare back at you when it's off. The picture tube disappears from view behind no-glare black tinted screen. Adding beauty to every decor with the luxury of its teak finished cabinet. An optional extra is the modern swivel stand designed especially for the Deep Scene.
From Mike.
Old 30th Apr 2008, 9:37 pm   #75
Steve_P
Dekatron

ITT/KB - I've seen 2 others. All with worn tubes!

Anyway, somewhere in this place I have a tuner and IF module from a TYNE. I'd love to have one of these sets.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 30th Apr 2008, 10:08 pm   #76
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes, Mikey - the Z179 was an imported 26" 110 degree set with neon tuning and a big Grundig-esque chassis. I THINK it was a Saba as they did also import their portable (BC6004?). The Z179 (not to be confused with the worrying British Z718) weren't too bad - triplers used to go and the channel selection was a bit dodgy. I also rememer seeing some PCB burn-ups. It was RBM's top-of the-range set at the time.
I have a manual for them but no set - ditto the Tyne!
Re the ITT/KB - when I first saw one in the seventies I was convinced it was a CVC1colour set and was disappointed to find it was a bit more prosaic inside than the cabinet promised!
Another set that's rare is the RBM CTV174 - a 22" dual standard colour hybrid 'halfway-house' like the equally rare Philips G22C503. Not many were sold as they were only of interest to people whose local transmitters hadn't fully changed over in 1969.
Not seen a Decca 40 for a long time, either!
Glyn
Old 30th Apr 2008, 10:11 pm   #77
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Not seen a Decca 40 for a long time, either!
Glyn
What's one of them
Old 1st May 2008, 12:29 am   #78
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Yes, Mikey - the Z179 was an imported 26" 110 degree set with neon tuning and a big Grundig-esque chassis.
When did they sell those?
Old 1st May 2008, 2:17 pm   #79
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Tas - the Decca 40 was an unusual set - I only ever saw one! It was current around the time of the Decca 30 but was fully solid-state. Nothing at all like the Decca 80/100, and in fact might not have been made by Decca at all. I seem to remember it had some form of AV inputs so probably was meant for the semi-pro user. I'm sure someone else will know more, as usual....
Hans - I think I was wrong in thinking the Rank Z179 was an imported chassis - although it looks nothing like any other Rank colour set, only having a single board, the circuitry is fairly familiar for RBM - decoder with SL901 and SL 918, TBA 920 line oscillator and a power supply using a BT106 thyristor. It used an A66-140X CRT and had the usual E/W circuitry. I would imagine it dates from about 1973. The field stage is Class A, though that was not that unusual for solid-state sets of that era.
Still haven't seen one for a long time!
Glyn
Old 7th May 2008, 9:41 pm   #80
Colourstar
Octode

Referring back to 'lost' Ferguson models, I rescued an interesting example from the car park of the hotel next to my school in the mid 80s. It was badged Ferguson Colourstar but was a smaller set than most domestic models, with a 17" tube (definitely not a 19") in a silver surround (similar presentation to a GEC 2028). It had a 4 pushbutton mechanical tuner to the right of the screen, mounted on a silver panel with the Ferguson logo and 3 coloured dots to indicate it was a colour set. The speaker grille was black plastic with horizontal bars. The off/vol/bri and colour controls were thin black plastic knobs and distributed horizontally beneath the screen. There was a red cut-out button on the back of the set which must give some clue as to what chassis it was. It was evidently a compact set produced specifically for hotels in the early 70s. I no longer have it and have never seen another- did I dream the whole thing or can anyone confirm it was genuine?!?

Please put me out of my misery!

Steve J
Closed Thread