UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2019, 11:27 pm   #41
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Can channel buttons be put to proper use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
On a set of this era it may be noted that the 8th "VCR" button not only selected the RF output of the VCR but also altered the lock up time of the flywheel line sync to overcome fluctuations caused by the instability of the early VHS VCRs.
Oh that's understandable, I still have the 6 and 7 ordinary channels I can always use.

Quote:
Those multiview boxes are great! I have one for my old sets.

Bear in mind the output of the T35 is extremely 'HOT' and will require some attenuation of the signal so it does not overload the TV tuner.
I think right now I am drawn more to a Multiview as it's so simple and being a beginner in this, I need simple to be able to learn more about the whole set up. I think the digital switch over hasn't helped as it means more technology to get to grips with. (Shouldn't be too hard most of the time, hopefully)

Sorry if this is a really simple question, but HOT doesn't mean temperature, does it? I've seen it before on websites, and on the back of a PCB on the neck of my CRT.

Quote:
I should say this would be quite a complex project for someone who has never used / programmed an Arduino before. Although the aforementioned I/R library does 90% of the complicated stuff, you'd still have to be comfortably familiar with the Arduino programming environment in general.

I would possibly consider this route, but maybe not as a first option as I've never programmed before (Apart from a game of Pong) so I have no experience in programming.

I think it would be best for me to move the idea aside a little, as I would have no clue what I'm doing.

Quote:
Then, the basic requirement for the project is to take in the ultrasonic channel change command and convert that to an IR command which selects the required channel on the Tivo or other set top box. The modulator does not need to be controlled at all.

The Ultrasonic remote will still change the channels on the TV as well, but no matter what channel you change to, it will still see the output from the modulator.

I think this may be more of a possibility for me than the Arduino idea, as it does seem to be much simpler, and I think I'd understand it a bit more. Thanks for that suggestion, I'll keep that idea in account.

Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate it.
Old 24th Jan 2019, 12:05 am   #42
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
On a set of this era it may be noted that the 8th "VCR" button not only selected the RF output of the VCR but also altered the lock up time of the flywheel line sync to overcome fluctuations caused by the instability of the early VHS VCRs.
Oh that's understandable, I still have the 6 and 7 ordinary channels I can always use.
You can use the 'special' video channel for ordinary use too. The difference is very subtle, just very slight ragging of vertical lines in the picture.
Old 24th Jan 2019, 12:06 am   #43
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh okay, I won't be too close to the TV when it's in use anyway.

Thanks
Old 24th Jan 2019, 9:25 am   #44
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
Quote:
Bear in mind the output of the T35 is extremely 'HOT' and will require some attenuation of the signal so it does not overload the TV tuner.
Sorry if this is a really simple question, but HOT doesn't mean temperature, does it? I've seen it before on websites, and on the back of a PCB on the neck of my CRT.
You are correct. This figurative use of the term "hot" was indicating a high signal level that will probably require attenuation (with something like this - other sources are available) before pumping into an aerial socket.
Old 24th Jan 2019, 12:54 pm   #45
llama
Octode

How's this for a "steampunk" option:
When the TV has selected a particular channel, a LED or similar lights to tell you which channel button it is tuned to. Bring out the 8 LED drive wires and use them as logic inputs to a buffer stage for each - maybe a single FET for each or maybe all integrated into a buffer type IC.
Take the outputs from each buffer and send them to a momentary solenoid that pushes on the corresponding button on a FreeView remote. The FreeView output would need to be modulated onto a UHF channel and all the TV's "channels" would be tuned to the same UHF frequency.
If you'd be prepared to take the FreeView remote to bits, a relay or 4066 (for example) could be used.
No computer programming!
Graham
Old 24th Jan 2019, 3:17 pm   #46
julie_m
Dekatron

That's a bit risky on a pre-SCART set which may well have a live chassis, though .....

You could maybe use opto-isolators, by wiring their LED inputs in series with the channel LEDs .....
Old 24th Jan 2019, 8:47 pm   #47
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
You are correct. This figurative use of the term "hot" was indicating a high signal level that will probably require attenuation
I did think so. I'll buy one of those attenuators. Thank you for that link

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
Bring out the 8 LED drive wires and use them as logic inputs to a buffer stage for each - maybe a single FET for each or maybe all integrated into a buffer type IC.
i'd much rather not mess with the TV as I have very little knowledge of them and I don't want to risk ruining it.

Thank you all the same, though.
Closed Thread