UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2009, 1:59 pm   #1
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Cowbit October 2009

It's that time again; I'll be there - who else is going?
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 2:37 pm   #2
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Re: Cowbit October 2009

Me, of course, Mike. See you there!
-Tony
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 6:51 pm   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Me too, everything willing. J.
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 7:09 pm   #4
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

Have I missed something - I don't seem to have the date in my diary. Is it this Sunday (25th October)? If it is I'll try to be there.
Terry
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 7:33 pm   #5
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

http://www.vmars.org.uk/vmarsnews.html

It is the 25th, shame it's not the following week otherwise I would have gone. .

Regards, Mick.
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 9:07 pm   #6
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Sadly I will not be there - the DVLA have cocked my driving license up, so I am temporarily off the road....
Old 26th Oct 2009, 9:52 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I very much enjoyed this meet at Cowbit. I bought a very nice Marconiphone battery receiver from 1938 for a few pounds and a couple of Philips 1937 wrecks for knobs and spares. One had a TRANSISTOR radio chassis cobbled into it.................I can't tell you the shock when I took the back off! To be honest it was a good laugh and created a smile among other friends[?] collectors.. A complete waste at the inflated price of £2..
So if you see a nasty looking Philips seven hundred or something at an auction near you, take a look in the back before you part with your hard earned cash.
OK joke over. I am very pleased with my purchases. The two Philips will yield all that is required to bring my set to working order and the Marconi 876 is a TRF gem. It was a GREAT day meeting guys and Chas. Travelled up the A1 in glorious sunshine, lovely countryside. Regards, John.
Old 27th Oct 2009, 10:11 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Somehow, John, I must have missed you - likewise Tony (Aerodyne). Might be because I set off for home when the auction started or the fact that my facial recognition is virtually non-existent.
I had my eye on a rather scruffy Ambassador, but it had gone when I got back from lunch.
An excellent event!
Old 27th Oct 2009, 11:11 am   #9
Aerodyne
Octode

That's weird, Mike. I looked for you and missed you, too. I know I suffer from the same 'facial recognition' problem - memory not good since an operation, but its a long story - and I too left not long after the auction started, feeling under the weather, weakling that I am. Not to worry. I enjoyed the meeting as always, with long chats with like-minded gents, though I do feel it wasn't overly well attended nor was there an overabundance of tables. Perhaps it's the time of year; certainly the Spring meeting was a much busier affair IMHO.
Chas seems well, considering his recent problems.
See you and the rest of the gang there next year, all things being equal.
-Tony
Old 27th Oct 2009, 11:56 am   #10
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I was at the Cowbit auction. The meet wasn't well attended, I suspect cos Cowbit is rather remote. There was nearly 300 lots there, mainly large old radios and scruffy transistor sets which fetched very little or didn't sell at all. I don't think folk have the room to accomodate big old radios. Many transistor radios too, some nice, but even those fetched very little eg: an immaculate blue Hacker Sovereign II with only the rexine on its handle missing sold for just £2. A fair proportion of the lots sold for only £2 - £5 but a few reached double figures, notably an early TV chassis and a mint crocodile Ultra Twin de luxe went for over £70 each. I won a nice undamaged little Murphy A100 for £42, a fully working Heathkit bridge for £12 and several other sets for £2 - £8 but mainly for spares. It must have been very disappointing for the sellers, some of the sets had been lovingly restored but sold for £2 ....

Good to meet a few folk from the forum including Mike Phelan and John Wakeley.

Howard
Closed Thread