UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2008, 7:26 am   #21
Mikey405
Octode

Default Re: Harpenden 19th October

This was the first one I'd ever been to and I enjoyed it hugely (even though I had to stump up 25 quid to join the BVWS) . I saw quite a few forum members there and I will definitely come again. I bought an Ekco T330 TV, a fairly large oil-filled Magnifying lens, and a Hunts capacitance bridge. I especially enjoyed the auction, particularly Mike's rants whenever it got noisy in the room.

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 20th Oct 2008, 9:18 am   #22
newlite4
Octode

It was nice to spend a day amongst the things that you love .
I had a fairly good day, but feeling tired with a cold I decided to leave at 2.30 so I could get home in the light.
Great to see friends on the day and to catch up on radio gossip .
Neil
Old 20th Oct 2008, 11:54 am   #23
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I thought i saw you there Mike, but didnt say hello. as the person that looked like you appeared much younger than I remember!

Perhaps it was the non work attire?

I only popped in to drop one or two things off with other attendees, but still ended up with a D18T following me home - it looks really tiny sitting here in the front room, especially compared with the widescreen plastic box sitting next to it!
Old 20th Oct 2008, 4:27 pm   #24
Brased
Hexode

As usual it was a nice friendly day out with some interesting stuff about. Snag is that some of it insisted on following me home.

My main items were a couple of early comms sets (sets with a black wrinkle paint finish rather than polished walnut burr!). I was pleased to find a Hammarlund Comet Pro in largely original condition, including the wet electrolytics in the power supply. It's not a pretty set but was something of a landmark in the history of the company, apart from being the first I had seen 'in the flesh', although this is perhaps not quite the right term .

Edward
Old 20th Oct 2008, 7:05 pm   #25
thermionic
Heptode

My first Harpenden - and not disappointed!

Unfortunately I only had a couple of hours there, and had to leave as the auction was starting. I spyed a couple of 405's up on the stage but decided not to look to hard!
Anyway, bought a Pye B18T from Steve Harris (I had my eye on the Ekco - but someone beat me to it!) and a Bush DAC 90A with a cracked cabinet for a tenner.

Recognised a few faces from the forum -( Dr. Watts - your hat is a givaway) but kept a low profile myself!
As I am a low poster didn't think anybody would have heard of 'Thermionic'!

Now looking forward to WB in December.
Old 20th Oct 2008, 9:55 pm   #26
audiomagpie
Heptode

Likewise enjoyed the whole day. Nice to see a few familiar faces. Went with four sets and came back with two, a Philco A637 and a complete but slightly tatty Marconiphone A272. And also an AVO 2 panel valve tester, all from the auction. Some good stuff was really going for peanuts.

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 20th Oct 2008, 10:56 pm   #27
Danny
Heptode

Errr i shouldnt have gone came back loaded with stuff . i thought the turn out was better this time with lots of goodies. maybe this was another facter in the cheap prices. but i saw lots of stuff being bought and sold so some members must have made some cash and gained new treasures. i missed the little pye tv on the bring and buy. i didnt recognise it. does anyone know which model it was. thanks to all hew made it possible.
Old 21st Oct 2008, 7:35 pm   #28
Mikey405
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
I thought i saw you there Mike, but didnt say hello. as the person that looked like you appeared much younger than I remember!
I have the most appaling memory for people's faces Sean, so I try and keep a low profile in case some kind people that I really should recognise come and talk to me.
Old 21st Oct 2008, 8:12 pm   #29
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I was at Harpenden on Sunday and I actually came away without spending anything cos I sold 3 sets (one I won in auction even) and a cabinet and took home just one scruffy Grundig 3028 for spares, and a striped Decca Double-Decca 46 in amazing condition. I bought some valves and bits from Mike Lewis and some silicone sleeved wiring in various colours from another table for my 1935 Pilot, currently in theatre.

Saw lots of folk from the forum including Jeffrey and Edward on the B&B table, Alvin (soundmix100), Edward (igranic), John (Heatercathodeshort), John (jjl), Livewire (who collected a VHF61 cabinet) Dr Watts (with the hat), Neil (newlite4), Steve_P, Mickjjo and many many others ........ and the new caterers were doing very good and generous sandwiches and cakes too

Howard

Last edited by howard; 21st Oct 2008 at 8:17 pm.
Closed Thread