UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Aug 2017, 3:09 pm   #61
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Re: Radio 4 198 sibilance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
As several of us have noticed shall I send email to Dave at Arqiva again?
I would, more of us noticing this problem and bringing it to attention has got to be the right way to go, trusting that David Allett is taking this and us seriously.
Old 18th Aug 2017, 3:23 pm   #62
paulsherwin

It's being used for Test Match Special at the moment, so hopefully that will raise the number of complaints, and motivate the BBC to GET IT SORTED OUT. Sadly, I fear that many listeners will just assume it sounds like that.

I was listening to RTE 252 in the bath this morning - very nice sound without any intrusive processing. The Beeb should be ashamed of themselves, as despite all the layers of contractors and subcontractors, the buck ultimately stops with them.
Old 18th Aug 2017, 3:27 pm   #63
crusher19860138
Hexode

It sounds like my radio is slightly off tune when listening.
Old 18th Aug 2017, 10:31 pm   #64
steve.seven
Triode

Poor sound quality has returned again tonight. Have tried several different radio's, both valve and solid state, all sound slightly off tune with distortion and sibilance, so bad that needed to use F.M. to listen to R4.
Old 18th Aug 2017, 11:16 pm   #65
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Sounds horrible at the moment on one of my DAC90's here in Rugby. Sounds a bit like narrow audio bandwidth with plenty of sibilance and not much LF response.

Christopher Capener
Old 19th Aug 2017, 10:47 am   #66
Kevin Hoyland
Hexode

Hello.
Radio 4 as been so bad this week I have had to turn it off on my car radio 5 days out of 5 going to Sheffield and back. RTE 252 as been good for some time now.
Kevin
Old 19th Aug 2017, 2:51 pm   #67
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

I emailed David Allett last night and he has replied saying he is on to it.
Old 19th Aug 2017, 6:23 pm   #68
eddie_ce
Pentode

Do we know what keeps causing this problem?

A cynic might think that someone is looking for a reason to say the TX is no longer reliable and should be permanently taken out of service. I think closing down MW and especially LW stations is very short-sighted. Are we to rely on the Interweb and the mobile phone networks should, heaven forbid we have to cope with a national emergency?
Friend of the BVWTM
Old 19th Aug 2017, 7:37 pm   #69
Biggles
Nonode

Even the emergency services have relied heavily on mobile phone networks for voice and data for some years now. I used to bring this up regularly at meetings when I was involved with independent radio comms networks about the problems which may be brought about under national emergency/terrorism/sabotage conditions but it all fell on deaf ears. I suppose Airwave was a sort of reprieve. It will only get worse I presume, so the longwave broadcasting emergency thing may not have much clout before long. Everything has to be digital you see nowadays, digital is good, digital can't go wrong. Except the current problems on R4 are more than likely caused by a digital part of the system...
Alan.

Last edited by Biggles; 19th Aug 2017 at 7:45 pm.
Old 19th Aug 2017, 7:55 pm   #70
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
I emailed David Allett last night and he has replied saying he is on to it.
I've just sent him an email, I was prompted to send another one after doing a comparison between speech on Radio 4 (LW) and Radio 5 (MW).
What a diference! Radio 4 sounds distorted, restricted and grainy by comparison.
Old 19th Aug 2017, 8:12 pm   #71
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Pushing the "AM analog longwave BBC radio4 service as part of emergency services" line truly went out the window a decade or so back, and harping on about it won't change the truth that for most people these days their media-platforms are via Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, FM/Digital radio, streaming-audio [Spotify, Apple iTunes Music Store etc] or TV [whether terrestrial, cable, satellite or 'on-demand' services on their phones].

I'd bet my pension on saying that less than 1% of the UK population listen to Long Wave R4 in any week.

Accept reality - R4 Long Wave is a legacy service that's living on borrowed time: think of it like the old 'Blockbuster' video-rental stores, as a thing-of-its-time but whose time has passed. Enjoy it while it lasts, but don't expect it to last forever.
Old 19th Aug 2017, 8:32 pm   #72
paulsherwin

It's more than 1%, though less than 10%. Some places have no FM or DAB coverage, as anyone who has driven to Aberystwyth will know. Some people aren't bothered about sound quality and find the LW service more convenient.
Old 19th Aug 2017, 10:25 pm   #73
PaulR
Nonode

Is it better this evening?
Old 20th Aug 2017, 7:06 am   #74
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I drive as many as 3-5 different vehicles most days. Mostly HGVs and note which stations their radios are tuned to. I have never discovered a single one tuned to Radio 4 on LW.
Most are tuned to non BBC stations and the rest to Radio 2.

It is a pity that LW is being degraded in an attempt to make it unservicable to us vintage guys but I fear it will not be long before it vanishes together with MW transmissions.

I have lost my interest in vintage radio due to the lack of middle of the road stations on MW/LW. At 69 I am far too young to get involved with Radio 4

Regards, John.
Old 20th Aug 2017, 8:38 am   #75
Stuart R
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Is it better this evening?
The Midnight News on Saturday night sounded much better than Friday night's.

I don't expect a perfect listening experience on AM; there's a constant buzz of SMPS noise which I can tolerate, but I found the 'off tune' sound annoying and had to finish my listening via the DAB clock radio.

SR
Old 20th Aug 2017, 1:48 pm   #76
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

R4 LW 198 was sounding much better last night and is still sounding good today. Let's hope it lasts.The other night it was so bad I had to retune to BBC R Wales on 882Khz to listen to the BBC WS news. It was much clearer even with slight co Channel interference from a Spanish station.
Old 21st Aug 2017, 9:07 am   #77
ndg-2000
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
At 69 I am far too young to get involved with Radio 4
Haha brilliant, I'm 42 and Radio 4 is what's on in my van every day. Unless The Archers is on! Must be old before my time LOL.
Old 21st Aug 2017, 9:19 am   #78
PaulR
Nonode

I really don't subscribe to the conspiracy theory about the transmitter problems. If the BBC/Government wanted to close it down they would just announce it and do so. I don't know what the problems are but I think they are just the result of limited maintenance and monitoring of ageing equipment.
Old 21st Aug 2017, 9:42 am   #79
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post

I have lost my interest in vintage radio due to the lack of middle of the road stations on MW/LW. At 69 I am far too young to get involved with Radio 4

Regards, John.
Ha Ha, I see your point, I find I enjoy Radio 4 more and more the older I get.
Regarding losing interest in vintage radio due to nothing decent left to listen too.
I dont think I'd ever have that problem, I simply love the look, design and the fascinating old technology found in vintage radios, it goes beyond what comes out of the speaker.
We do have options in still using them, if worst comes to worst, I have a Spitfire AM transmitter and of course many sets have gram inputs which play MP3 / ipod devices very well.
Old 21st Aug 2017, 6:58 pm   #80
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

My interest in vintage radio has always been what is inside the wood box. The more 'odd' the better. Until very recently my pleasure was to build simple TRF receivers, maybe a couple of EF91s, winding my own coils as in my Utube exploits.

Sadly I can only obtain sports programmes in this area or sad BBC local radio that really should only be receivable via cable to care homes..

Maybe a pantry transmitter is the option but there is nothing like the excitement of connecting an aerial for the first time and tuning in an off air station.

I think the old Long Wave Light Programme/Radio2 should have been retained rather than the change to radio 4. It may have had a much wider appeal especially with transport drivers.

I hope we retain FM as long as possible. Without doubt it is the best system of broadcasting by a mile. John.
Closed Thread