UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2008, 10:35 pm   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Printed circuit board material

I was looking to make up a chassis for a home made project that perhaps might use single-sided PCB's rather than aluminium.
I have experimented with a hole punch and a fragment of srbp board (whatever that is) to make a hole to suit a B9 base.
I need to make Octal size holes.
Is it really feasible to use the same hole punches that I would use on aluminium on PCB material?
There seems to be this srbp and fibre-glass boards. I was going to use several boards bolted to a length of aluminium angle upon which could be mounted switches and control pots.
Old 14th Jan 2008, 10:39 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Printed circuit board material

Fibreglass (GRP) boards are tough and can be punched easily with metalworking punches. SRBP can be punched but it may crack and certainly won't be so tough.
Old 14th Jan 2008, 11:07 pm   #3
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Printed circuit board material

Get a stepped cone cutter - these are magic for making holes in nearly anything, they are available in a range of sizes - I have a 3-20mm, and 5-40mm set, and they last very well if you are mainly using them for non ferrous materials.

Worth the investment IMO