UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2007, 8:08 pm   #1
milairuk
Pentode

Default Front Panel Design Software

Anyone know of a good Front Panel Design programme ? One that will let you print rotary cursors and labels ? I have downloaded a German one called FrontDesigner3, but when I scale the dial down to match my panel size the markings just blur into nothing. As the demo won't allow you to print, I don't know if this is just a screen problem or me ?
Any advice appreciated as I have a wicked HT power supply design waiting to go.
John
Old 19th Aug 2007, 8:17 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Front Panel Design Software

I normally use CorelDraw for this sort of thing, but it's a general vector drawing program so could be more work than something specifically intended for front panels. It's also expensive, though you can get older versions cheaply on eBay (I use version 7 which works fine on Windows XP). Older ones are less bloated too.

If you have use and experience of a general CAD program such as AutoCAD that could be used, but I wouldn't go there just for the one job as the learning curve is steep.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 19th Aug 2007, 9:28 pm   #3
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
If you have use and experience of a general CAD program such as AutoCAD that could be used, but I wouldn't go there just for the one job as the learning curve is steep.
If any one does want a drawing on CAD then send me a PM.

I've worked with AutoCAD for longer than is entirely sane and I'd be happy to draw up scales, panels etc. for any forum member.

It's what I used to do for a living.

Regards,
Old 20th Aug 2007, 9:18 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I am about 75% through making such a thing; (my job is designing software). I have got as far as doing circles/arcs/graduations up to now. Sometime in the future I may even finish it! It is a single .EXE that may need one or two supporting DLLs.
Old 20th Aug 2007, 12:31 pm   #5
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Hi Mike,

Welcome back and if you need any help with beta testing, you have a volunteer here.

Regards,
Old 20th Aug 2007, 12:56 pm   #6
milairuk
Pentode

Thanks for all comments and offers Guys, and welcome back Mike. I'll drop the software company an email first, if they want me to buy a copy then they might reply. I have always kept clear of CAD programmes due to the fact I don't have the time or need to use them in depth. I seem to remember that you used to be able to buy scales on sticky plastic once, I think they were made by Radio Constructor Mag - but it must be at least 30 years ago now. I did come across some in my loft a while ago, but stupidly didn't take them out and now I've forgotten where I found them !!
John
Old 21st Aug 2007, 8:05 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

When I do eventually get round to it (don't rush - might even be this year!) all here will be welcome to a copy.

I have managed with most things with M$ Paint - not the best, but free. Radial graduations and rotating text isn't possible easily, hence me knocking something up.

I occasionally Paintshop Pro for the more difficult things like reducing the number of colours in a GIF or JPEG for smaller filesize.
Old 29th Oct 2007, 5:40 pm   #8
clausnrgaard
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
I am about 75% through making such a thing; (my job is designing software). I have got as far as doing circles/arcs/graduations up to now. Sometime in the future I may even finish it! It is a single .EXE that may need one or two supporting DLLs.
Hi ended up here in your blog in my seach for some software designing fronpanels. I do alot of work in autocad -but it is a bit heavy, specially doing the initial part of the design process. haha and it really sucs working with text and graphics.
So how far are you with your project or could you recomend something meanwhile. Do you have a Inspirator-software or is it all from scratch

Claus
Denmark
Old 29th Oct 2007, 8:07 pm   #9
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi Claus
It is on (a very long) hold at the moment, for various reasons. Never heard of Inspirator, but I was writing it from scratch as an .EXE.