UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2019, 11:31 am   #21
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Is this appliance mains cable asbestos clad?

That was my thinking- asbestos fibre weave is quite friable, making it a poor choice for a flex insulator that's frequently moved around and unlikely to be used as such. Fixed internal wiring inside appliances like heaters and cookers is a different manner, and asbestos was widely used there in the past. In the special case of line dropper cords, the internal asbestos cladding over the resistance wire was closely contained by a fine textile weave. The weave in question does look like nylon, with textile string filler undeneath.
Old 26th Nov 2019, 12:23 pm   #22
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
....... but the blue/brown wiring colour code would seem to me to make any asbestos in it's manufacture unlikely.
Sorry but I fail to see the connection between asbestos use and the switch to the blue/brown wiring code. The colour code change began in the late 60s long before the true dangers of asbestos were widely accepted or known.

I would reiterate what I said in an earlier post in that many things manufactured in the UK right up until the end of the last century could contain asbestos in some form or other. Furthermore it was still in widespread use in the early 80s when the cable in question was made.

If it were my appliance I'd replace the cable with a silicone version along with the strain relief which is clearly perished.

Alan
That's it in a nutshell! If in doubt just change the cable and strain relief...doubt removed, problem solved!!
Old 1st Dec 2019, 11:08 am   #23
ianm
Hexode

Thanks you, all, for your valuable replies. This thread has generated a lot more interest than I anticipated!

I shall of course replace the cable (and strain relief) on the grounds of condition alone, but there is still a little bit of concern at the thought I might have been scattering asbestos fibres around my home and workshop over the last 35 years.

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 1st Dec 2019, 12:28 pm   #24
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm View Post
..... but there is still a little bit of concern at the thought I might have been scattering asbestos fibres around my home and workshop over the last 35 years.
"Past concrete has set. It is only the unset concrete of the future that is still malleable." Can't remember who said that but it seems to me to reflect a fundamental truth.

In any event there is still a vast amount of asbestos in our built or manufactured environment and none of us will have completely avoided contact with it at some point in our lives.

Alan
Old 1st Dec 2019, 1:19 pm   #25
The Philpott
Dekatron

Indeed.

Going back in the thread slightly, as far as sheathing for things like appliance cables the flame test in Post No.9, as ever, is the cast-iron proof.
Old 1st Dec 2019, 1:38 pm   #26
ajgriff
Nonode

Worth noting that the inner strands may not have been made using asbestos even though the outer layers were, so I'm not convinced the flame test described in the earlier post would be definitive. The best way to proceed is careful replacement and safe disposal of the old cable as Ian proposes.

Alan
Closed Thread