UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2019, 7:39 pm   #101
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: RRI T24E Chassis

Hi,

Just a quick question; about to test the 16.5v power rail, but is it safe to test the set as I do not have any form of safety equipment. I did try test without power but no surprises i didnt get a reading.

Thanks
Old 5th Dec 2019, 8:29 pm   #102
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Seventy7 View Post
Hi,

Just a quick question; about to test the 16.5v power rail, but is it safe to test the set as I do not have any form of safety equipment. I did try test without power but no surprises i didnt get a reading.

Thanks
I would not work on that receiver when it's powered up unless it was powered via a mains safety isolating transformer of a suitable power rating, that's my take on it, others might have a different view.

Lawrence.
Old 5th Dec 2019, 8:50 pm   #103
19Seventy7
Octode

That was my thoughts too. I've never touched anything inside while the set has power to it, so I didn't want to risk prodding around while it's powered.

What's a recommended power rating for a isolating transformer? I really should get one.

Thanks
Old 5th Dec 2019, 9:18 pm   #104
ms660
Dekatron

Depends on the power consumption of the receiver, whatever it is it needs to be rated for at least that, I can't remember off hand what the typical power consumption is for a typical solid state colour TV is but someone on here will know, back in my TV servicing days some of the valve/hybrid colour TV's were very power hungry, the last place I worked at in the 1980's had a 500 watt job fitted to the bench if I remember correctly.

Lawrence.
Old 5th Dec 2019, 9:57 pm   #105
19Seventy7
Octode

I'd be interested in doing some older stuff (50s/60s) but I'm not sure if it'd be any time soon.

Would 230V, 300vA be decent enough?

Thanks
Old 6th Dec 2019, 11:13 am   #106
ms660
Dekatron

It should be ok for the TV in question.

Lawrence.
Old 6th Dec 2019, 3:28 pm   #107
19Seventy7
Octode

Okay thank you, i'll try get it.

Thanks
Old 6th Dec 2019, 7:21 pm   #108
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Bear in mind an iso;ating transformer makes things safer, but not safe. So the old maxim of 'one hand in your pocket' still applies. The set you're working on has a mainly plastic chassis, so there aren't large metal areas unlike the old stuff.
The advantage of an isolating transformer is that the metalwork can be earthed so isn't floating, and touching, say, the tuner can won't hurt. My bench has a 500vA transformer which comes in handy for using test equipment on a 'half mains' chassis (a misnomer, I know). Of course, like everyone else I'd then go out and do house calls on a wet day in a house that was last rewired fifty years ago!
I'd never argue with anyone that puts his or her safety first - well, after mine, that is...
Old 7th Dec 2019, 12:25 am   #109
toshiba tony
Heptode

Since the early days we were told isolation transformers should always be used, equipment is still lethal, I never carried one in my car but carried out repairs in the customers home when I could. There are still the same lethal voltages present, it's just that they are not at a potential to earth. An innocent looking mobile phone charger is just as dangerous as a widescreen tv, I'm amazed there are not more fatalities in this field, I know of two, please take this with a wry smile, an aerial rigger fell off the roof and the other wired his set the wrong way round, Thorn 8500, and grasped a central heating radiator and the tv chassis at the same time. But he was a know idiot in the community. (Yorkshire) One of my favourite good night greeting from the pub is "take care, we are all fragile", I'm now under care with dementia but luckily my near fifty years in the tv trade is still vivid, be good all, Tony Walker
Old 8th Dec 2019, 6:13 pm   #110
19Seventy7
Octode

Sorry for the late reply.

I completely understand the dangers of working on electronics (Especially TVs) and should count myself lucky really that I haven't been hurt by them yet as I've absolutely no safety equipment. (I've had a few minor shocks, but nothing major)

I'll definitely be getting an isolation transformer to use from now on, and paused works on sets for now on.

Better safe than sorry.

Thanks
Old 11th Dec 2019, 11:09 am   #111
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

As I said above, a transformer makes things safer, but not safe. All due precautions should still be employed. After all, 25kV is still 25kV, with or without a transformer!
Old 12th Dec 2019, 11:41 pm   #112
19Seventy7
Octode

I completely understand, I've always been careful when I've got the back off one, and nothing will change!

Thanks
Closed Thread