UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2018, 7:46 pm   #1
Anthony in NZ
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vintage Aircraft Radios?

Hi all

Just wondering if there are any or many people here than have an interest or knowledge in vintage aircraft radios?

I am rebuilding a vintage ex RAF Auster to fly again and am very interested in locating the old Plessey PTR 61E radio from the 50's and trying to see if I could get it working again....if not then at least fit it to the plane.

I will post on the wanted section at some stage, but just curious at this point. I think it would be great to see these old sets re-fitted back into these old birds again and help tell the story of a bygone era of communication.

Cheers guys

Anthony
Old 20th Oct 2018, 11:32 am   #2
ribbonmicsrus
Pentode

Default Re: Vintage Aircraft Radios?

Anthony
I think you could restore it but the legality of using it would be in doubt as most aircraft now use 8.33kHz channel spacing. Your radio would be around 40KHz wide on reception, this would enable you to listen to perhaps 4 to 5 conversations simultaneously!!. Guess it would be nice to fit though not use to keep authenticity and squeeze a new radio in somewhere else.
Andy G3UEQ
Old 20th Oct 2018, 11:46 am   #3
paulsherwin

There are forum members who know much more about avionics regulations than I do, but I'm pretty sure you will need to fit modern transponders and comms if you are actually going to fly this aircraft. That needn't take up much room, so you could certainly fit some vintage kit too, but it would really be little more than set dressing.
Old 20th Oct 2018, 1:04 pm   #4
M3VUV51
Banned

I would give Birketts of Lincoln a bell, he has tons of old RAF radios, get him on: 01522-520767
Old 20th Oct 2018, 3:24 pm   #5
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony in NZ View Post
I am rebuilding a vintage ex RAF Auster to fly again and am very interested in locating the old Plessey PTR 61E radio from the 50's and trying to see if I could get it working again....if not then at least fit it to the plane.
Hi Anthony,

I mentioned your request on another UK group and a couple of people suggested the Wireless Set 62 as a replacement, as that radio (it uses HF, not VHF) was used in the Auster for spotting purposes. The WS-62 is a lot bigger and in the photo I saw posted the radio took up half the instrument panel! It came out just towards the end of WW2 and was used in Korea amongst other conflicts.

Are the regulations for a flyable a/c strict on equipment that is carried, by that I mean if it's fitted does it have to actually work?

Good luck with the radio search.

Roger
Old 20th Oct 2018, 4:02 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Airworthiness requirements in the UK are quite strict, I would think that they're not too dissimilar in New Zealand. You would need to check any advice given against local regulations. I used to work with general aviation avionics (ARC and King mainly). I wasn't personally licenced, but worked under the company's overall cover. Although I repaired and calibrated the instruments, only a licenced Engineer could remove and reinstall them. I would think that this also applies to dummy equipment, as it's about things like counting screws etc. to ensure nothing gets where it shouldn't. No hard shoulders up there!
Old 20th Oct 2018, 4:59 pm   #7
David Simpson
Nonode

I never actually worked on an Auster during my time in the RAF (60's/70's) but I think they had the 1985 series 10 channel VHF fitted for comms & the 1961 Intercom Amp. Right enough, Birkets in Lincoln might be able to help.
However - heed the advice regarding aviation authority & ATC regulations regarding modern comms equipment required for certification of your aircraft.

Regards, David
Old 20th Oct 2018, 5:30 pm   #8
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Given that the OP is restoring a complete vintage aircraft to an airworthy standard, I'm quite sure that he is in detailed discussion with the relevant certification authorities concerning all aspects of the project.
Perhaps I am over-reacting, but in that context some of the comments so far come over as rather patronising...…..

Regarding his original question, I'm afraid this radio is one I have no familiarity with at all, so I can't help.

Andy
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 3:11 am   #9
Anthony in NZ
Retired Dormant Member

Hi guys

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply to me, I appreciate it very much!

As regards getting one working, that would be purely for my own satisfaction/learning experience and not to actually use in the air. I suspect it would be totally useless in this modern age anyway. I will (as Andy mentions) be using modern comms, discretely hidden away.

m3vuv353, thank you very much I will give him a call!

For those of you interested, here is my Auster Facebook page...
https://www.facebook.com/Austerwe552...v3gjW4nRXpzUmZ

Roger, yes that person is correct, the WS 62 was used a lot in AOP-6's, but the T.7 used the 61 (Mod 369) and entailed removing the old A1553 unit. Thank goodness I don't need to find the 62 as you are correct, and HUGE. No doubt heave as well. If I had to put one of those in I think I would have to gut it out and keep my lunch in there LOL.

Anyway, thanks to you all and for the lead you gave me to phone.

Cheers guys
Anthony
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 1:19 pm   #10
trh01uk
Octode

Hmm, PTR61E. Yes, we had one of those. We trashed it because we couldn't see it being of any interest to anyone. Sorry!

Incidentally, we trashed it because we didn't recognise it as "vintage" - and it falls into that awkward 1950s/60s period where valves were going out of fashion, and there is virtually no interest in any equipment of that era that we are aware of.

Richard
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 6:48 pm   #11
Anthony in NZ
Retired Dormant Member

Arrrrgh…..always the way Richard, LOL
Old 1st Nov 2018, 5:26 pm   #12
Station X

One post moved to this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=150744

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread