UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2011, 6:23 pm   #1
sashheathcote
Retired Dormant Member

Default Old 3 pin plug identification sought.

hi all,

First time on here...can anyone identify these old plug tops??

manufactured by Britmac I belive?

Many Thanks

Sash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug1.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	51149   Click image for larger version

Name:	plug2.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	51150  
Old 19th Apr 2011, 8:59 pm   #2
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Old 3 pin plug identification sought.

That's a non-standard variant of BS1363, evidently an early one by the use of BSS rather than BS. Since the introduction of the 13A plug to BS1363, some manufacturers have introduced non-standard variants from time to time, for special applications that must not be interchanged with general purpose ones. A typical scenario is clean-earth supplies for sensitive equipment, which can be connected via non-standard sockets to prevent people plugging general appliances into the same circuit.

Different manufacturers have offered proprietary designs based around BS1363 over the years, some of which are distinguished by a peculiar earth pin. Crabtree used a round pin, MK a T-shaped one, Walsall turned all three pins through 90 degrees. Your Britmac plug seems to have a normal earth pin, rotated neutral pin and a live pin similar to a BS546 15A round pin. I haven't seen this layout before.

Do you have any sockets or other plugs to fit them? Oof Oud at the Museum of Plugs and Sockets would be interested! http://www.fam-oud.nl/~plugsocket/

Lucien
Old 19th Apr 2011, 9:11 pm   #3
audiomagpie
Heptode

I haven't seen one like that before, but probably used to prohibit use of unauthorized equipment.

A few years ago, we were fitting door entry systems on some local authority owned flats. In the common passage ways and landing areas, there were 13 amp sockets fitted but the live pin was turned by 90 degrees to stop anyone plugging in and powering their flat! Only the cleaners equipment would have the matching plugs. I 'made' one from a standard plug using a large pair of pliers and brute force (sometimes one has to improvise on site ) so we could plug in our drills/radio/hoover and most importantly the kettle! I've kept it in case we ever come across them again:

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodgy plugtop 005.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	49752  

BVWS committee chairman
Old 19th Apr 2011, 9:38 pm   #4
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

The first type was being replaced by the second type at a research establishment in Oxfordshire in 1983 due to obsolescence.
They were used for 110V and had two fuses.
Old 20th Apr 2011, 6:58 pm   #5
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Old 3 pin plug identification sought.

Hi,
It would be interesting to see the full range of 13amp variants. I've seen ones with normal L & N pins and a round earth pin. And there's a vertical neutral pin and horizontal live pin, vertical neutral & round live pins. The list goes on.
I've got one here with all three pins at right angles to the norm. Yours was made by Britmac.

Cheers, Pete
Old 13th May 2011, 6:09 pm   #6
sashheathcote
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the comments, i came across this plug whilst working at Queens medical Centre in Nottingham, there are sockets dotted all around the service voids and plantrooms throught the hospital, these are for 110v power and it makes sence now that maybe these were manufactured as a one off purley for this use, i have been trying to get hold of one for a long time and an engineer down there kindley let me sign one out for a day (only a small number remain)

I think i will need to use Gregs method to get another!

Anyway i will be happy to get in touch with the museum but i dont think the hospital would be too happy about me screwing one off the wall for them!

Thanks

Sash
Old 14th May 2011, 12:42 pm   #7
broadgage
Nonode

They are certainly rare, but I doubt that they are unique to that building, probably a few knocking around elswhere.
Closed Thread