UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Aug 2018, 10:26 am   #1
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

Default Rusbridge's Up North Auctions 2019

By popular demand, I have organised a pair of Up North vintage radio auctions for 2019. The dates are Sunday January 13th and Sunday June 9th. Had to find a different venue - the original one is so booked-up there's not a single weekend free until 2020. Still very much the same area; Hoghton near Preston. (Very handy for M65, M61 and M6.)

Not many changes from the first auction. Still bringing Cornish pasties and selling a cup of tea for 50p.

Go and hunt out your items for sale now, before the weather gets too cold for turning out sheds and garages. Let me know how many lots, and you can bring them along on the day before the sale.

Going wider with the publicity for next year, but I already have a select band of good buyers "on side". I have one confirmed seller already. Now I need more people to join in. Over to you...

I am still looking for a "Down South" venue. Not as easy as I hoped. Most halls gentrified with Lottery money and £20 per hour to hire. Not feasible. If anyone has a good idea, feel free to PM!

Rob.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 1st Aug 2018 at 11:48 am. Reason: Corrected spelling of Hoghton as noted in post #4
Old 1st Aug 2018, 10:52 am   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Rusbridge's Up North Auctions 2019

This is excellent news. I'm really pleased the first one went well enough to encourage you to do more.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 1st Aug 2018, 11:34 am   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes Houghton is a nice place as well. I will certainly try to get involved Rob. My wife is away all January so that may keep me in the south but it's possible I could send my brother along on a pre-arranged basis, having sorted items in advance from the Ramsbottom store!

Dave W

Bexhill
Old 1st Aug 2018, 11:36 am   #4
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

I can't spell. It's Hoghton. As Homer (Simpson) once said, D'oh!
Old 1st Aug 2018, 11:49 am   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I've corrected that in the initial post for you.

Paul Stenning
Old 1st Aug 2018, 12:02 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

I'll try to be down in Huddersfield around the June date. There's nothing like this in Scotland and very few in the North, so it may be my best chance to get to one.

I'm so glad the first one was a success.

David
Old 1st Aug 2018, 12:09 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

I've spelt it the same as my Math's teachers name [that rhymes as well]. I've been to Hoghton Tower in the past hence my confusion. Worth a visit if you are in the area. It's claimed that Shakespeare lived there as a young man at a point where he disappeared for a while-possibly to escape religious persecution. "Houghton" appears to have Norfolk connections. What do you have in mind re a "down south" venue Rob? Everywhere is North of Cornwall. Are you thinking North or South of London for example, which already has events, BVWS and others or maybe in the South West?

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 1st Aug 2018 at 12:23 pm.
Old 1st Aug 2018, 1:26 pm   #8
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

For the Down South venue I was casting the net quite wide. The key is to go where the customers are. So the South West and Bristol are out. Not enough people. Same with Salisbury Plain and the Wide Open Spaces of Wiltshire. Also keen to avoid places which are too closely embroiled with the M25 car park. Other than that, looking seriously at any reasonably-sized reasonably-priced hall with a good car park which is simple to find from a motorway junction.

Of course, if anyone would like a weekend-away trip to a Cornwall auction in September or October 2019 I do know of a nice big (cheap) hall very close to Bodmin, where the A30 from Exeter meets the A38 from Plymouth. Hotels not exactly plentiful in the exact location but plenty of places to stay reasonably near in Cornwall in the autumn (before half term when it all shuts down until Easter). You could always drop the family at the Eden Project for a day while you're buying...
Old 1st Aug 2018, 1:36 pm   #9
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

We may well be away for the January date but June 9th is pencilled in the diary.
Enjoyed the first one a lot.
Thanks Rob.
Old 1st Aug 2018, 2:03 pm   #10
Mark James
Hexode

In the diary, should be able to assist and supply a few lots.

Mark
Old 1st Aug 2018, 2:10 pm   #11
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I certainly hope to be at the 2019 auctions if nothing steps in to prevent me. Having looked at Hoghton (just outside Blackburn) on the map, it looks like a pleasantly rural route from the M6 (southbound).
Old 1st Aug 2018, 4:22 pm   #12
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have a couple of friends in Preston so this could be a good opportunity to visit (and stay with) them, and come to one of the auctions. The June one is probably more likely.

Paul Stenning
Old 1st Aug 2018, 5:14 pm   #13
dave walsh
Dekatron

Cornwall is not such a bad notion Rob. Like Bexhill you can't get much further south and it's a straight run along the coast from here. Not been for a while either. The last time was when my son put on a music event at Penzance!

Dave W
Old 1st Aug 2018, 5:50 pm   #14
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I'm a bit surprised you ruled out Bristol area as it's good for the M4 and M5, so easily accessible from the south west, West Midlands, South Wales (no Severn crossing tolls from the end of the year) and areas further east along the M4.

Possibly the only issue is that it is not that far from the BVWS RWB events, as I assume you are trying to target areas that the BVWS and Radiophile don't.

Paul Stenning
Old 1st Aug 2018, 7:26 pm   #15
Kentode
Octode

I'd like to reserve two pasties please Rob!

Drifting snow will not prevent me from attending the January auction, although flooding might. Another near miss last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	166898  

BVWS member
Old 1st Aug 2018, 8:58 pm   #16
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Rob, I shall try and get to the Jan auction with a few sets and other bits (SWMBO will be pleased).
I might even bring 3 year old grandson along to introduce him to the hobby.

Ed
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 3:03 pm   #17
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

I have found a venue for Down South auctions. A bit expensive, but you don't get Up North type bargains when you're shopping around Down South. Spring and autumn, dates being confirmed. So, four Rusbridge auctions in 2019. I'm going to need some good sellers. Anyone planning to reduce the amount of interesting items in their living quarters?! I have some jolly fine buyers champing at the bit...
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 3:08 pm   #18
dave walsh
Dekatron

Can you reveal the location Rob-generally if not specifically?

Dave
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 3:24 pm   #19
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

Mister Dinning (and all other grand-dads!), please do bring along your grandson if he'd like a slightly eccentric day out. We could do with someone to help reduce the average age a bit. If he gets bored he can be in charge of taking the sheets from the auctioneer to the office. The office may have a secret stash of sweets. Start the little ones young and they'll see what we do as completely normal. If he turns into a Wireless Boffin I'm sure he'll be well supplied with useful items from older people who don't want their little treasures flogged off at some awful auction after they've gone. My friend's son is ten, and he loves old Hornby O Gauge toy trains from eighty years ago. He's been given all sorts, and bought many things for about half what they're really worth! (It's me who has to restore any damage, so I see lots of his new arrivals, and I'm buying so many spares that I'm seriously thinking of buying the whole spares company!)
Old 3rd Aug 2018, 3:25 pm   #20
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

General location of Down South auctions is Buckinghamshire.
Closed Thread