UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2018, 4:16 pm   #81
sabaman
Pentode

Default Re: CRT sets still in daily use?

Hello,

Panasonic TX-W28R4DP currently in use as main (and only!) set.
Purchased second hand many, many years ago for very little £. It was sold as working but I remember having to re-solder many dry joints to correct various intermittent faults. Been fine since. It's a bulky old thing as it sits on its own dedicated stand with a loudspeaker inside for Dolby Pro-Logic sound, hmm, I remember going on Toshiba's Pro-Logic course for repair engineers when Pro-Logic was 'the thing'.
It works well enough and the sound is good. I like to get more enjoyment from the actual program, rather than knowing I'm watching it in super wide, 4D, curvy screen, hypno-vision. Having said that, my parents modern Samsung has a startlingly good picture. What you don't see, you don't miss I suppose...

Sabaman
Old 1st Jul 2018, 8:09 pm   #82
factory
Octode

We have a 21" Aiwa still in use in the living room and I have a 14" Durabrand (that was going to be dumped by a work colleague) in my room.

Both sets of course would have been dumped if I hadn't been able to keep them going, the Aiwa has had some PSU electrolytics replaced & the degaussing positor, the Durabrand also needed a new positor.

There is also a spare working 14" Mikomi, as well a faulty one that I bought new in around 2006, it lasted a couple of years before gaining an intermittent fault, losing the green & blue from the picture followed by it shutting down, I never got round to looking at that one despite having the service information.

David
Old 1st Jul 2018, 8:54 pm   #83
ben
Dekatron

Another thing that has put me off flat screens is the issue of longevity (and , closely related, serviceabllity). LCD backlight failure seems quite a biggie due to the disassembly involved and the hassle of getting suitable spares, possible light imbalance across the screen, etc. Then there's the odd faults like lines of dead pixels, blocks of colour, etc. Scaler trouble I've seen in some LCD monitors.

How are the O-LEDs shaping up in this department? Presumably the LEDs last longer than the usual backlight tubes, but I know LEDs aren't immortal. I'd be interested in learning more from those who are in contact with them regularly. Any improvement over the other kinds of flat display or is it another case of 'if it's not the PSU caps it's time to bin it'?
Old 1st Jul 2018, 9:18 pm   #84
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
The majority of displays are set-up with excessive saturation, which is immediately evident to anyone critically comparing them with a natural scene. Remember when colour TV was introduced, and many people set the saturation level near maximum? Things haven't changed much, and to many 'vivid' is still preferable to 'accurate'!
I always call it 'Pub Colour'.

John
Old 1st Jul 2018, 9:53 pm   #85
julie_m
Dekatron

Question Re: CRT sets still in daily use?

"Pub colour" -- yes, I've noticed that, too!

It's as though they think turning the picture up will somehow benefit the people at the back .....
Old 1st Jul 2018, 10:59 pm   #86
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Lovely. Are they your main teles in those rooms? Do you have a flat screen TV at all?
Yes they are my everyday use receivers. I watch mainly old films and documentaries that are in good old B/W.

I did have a play with a flat screen years ago and it ended up back at the tip!

John.
Old 1st Jul 2018, 11:24 pm   #87
bionicmerlin
Heptode

My sister has a Philips 28 inch widescreen crt set as her main set in ereryday use.
When I met my partner I was surprised she had the same set. .Her son now has the set and again it's the main everyday set in constant use.
Infact both sets have never gone wrong.
I have a Philips 405 line set in the dining room that's used a fair amount
Andy
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 12:28 am   #88
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
Didn't they a KT1 for the Dutch market? 18" with a delta gun tube perhaps, it looked really nice from what I saw.
That's right. It was introduced between the K9 and K11 full size chassis. Model numbers 18C435 and 18C635 (identical but with upgraded tube). Marcel (one of the K4 owners) has one http://www.marcelstvmuseum.com/photoalbum43.html at the bottom of the page.
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 7:40 am   #89
raditechman
Heptode

I just remembered there is privately owned petrol station near me, run by a husband and wife for decades, and they still have a black and white c.r.t monitor at the counter for the forecourt cameras.

John
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 8:42 am   #90
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Without a shadow of a doubt my plasma knocks the socks of any CRT I have seem and the new O-LED 4K knocks the socks off the plasma. The detail and deep blacks are astounding (but at my age you need to have your best specs on to appreciate it).
I obtained a 42" Samsung plasma a few years back for very little due to being 'dead', in fact one replacement capacitor restored it to perfect order.
The picture quality is superb, far better than any CRT or LCD set that I have compared it with, especially with HD sources. Black level is excellent

The only drawbacks are the weight of the set (4 stone!) and the power consumption. As I watch very little TV, this does not worry me much.

Quote:
Well, here you go. This is my contribution of the CRT receivers used as everyday entertainment.

Ekco TC196. 1953. [Winter 'snug' room.

Ferranti 17T4 1954. Living room.

National TR449G I guess around 1970/1. Kitchen.

OK I went dotty decades ago. John.
My vintage sets in regular use are:
1953 Alba TR9874, 1948 Pye D18T & a 1950 Bush TV22.
All have been trouble free since being restored, in fact the entertainment value is very good, I would never watch a B&W film on any colour set!

Mark
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 9:24 am   #91
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

My Decca Bradford 10 chassis was my main set until 1996 and was transferred to lighter duties after nearly 20 years as the number 1 set.
In our new house I bought a 21" Philips CRT set in 1998 which was our main set until 2016. It has now been retired to my workshop alongside my Decca.
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 12:57 pm   #92
IanNVJ35
Heptode

We have two sets. One 2005 28" Philips 4:3 in the living room and a Panasonic Quintrix 14" in the bedroom. I bought the Quintrix years ago as I thought the flat screen would be better than curved, but it wasn't. More distortion and reflections.

The Philips works fine, but when displaying bright areas a dark splotch arrives. I did it from new so not a fault, but otherwise fine.

I have two spare TV's ready when these fail.

I also use VHS to record things and I honestly have no interest in modern flat TV's. Just not for me.
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 8:54 pm   #93
Richard_FM
Nonode

My LG has a nice set of fine adjustment pictures to fine tune the colour levels.

The Samsung I have doesn't have the same level of user friendlessness, but I've managed to get it looking alight.
Old 10th Jul 2018, 10:50 pm   #94
Richard_FM
Nonode

Looking at Alibaba you can still buy new CRT analogue sets if you really want them.

They seem to be aimed at the Indian & African markets but seem to be like a late 1990s TV with on screen menus for setting things up & capable of receiving different standards.

Here are 2 examples:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...302e54aa3lPwmp

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...302e54aa3lPwmp
Closed Thread