UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2006, 6:18 pm   #1
AndiiT
Octode

Default Grundig TK146 too loud!!

Hi,
Ok I know it's a strange title but here goes...I have been playing around with a Grundig TK146 obtained a while ago from the local car boot sale. Having replaced the belts and given the record/play switches along with all the other function switches a good clean I am able to record and play back OK but am a little concerned that on playback I can obtain adequate volume with the volume control set midway between the 0 and 1 positions on the slider scale.

Is this how things should be or do I have another fault? I would have suspected the control to be somewhere around the 3 (or so) position before the volume becomes "scarily" loud - at the 0 position nothing can be heard so I have ruled out a diconnected ground tag.

When using the volume control to monitor any source connected to the inputs in record mode I still have to set it as above (i.e. between the 0 and 1 position on the slider scale)

Any ideas or comments would be welcomed

Andrew
Old 7th Oct 2006, 6:29 pm   #2
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Grundig TK146 too loud!!

Hello Andrew, are you using the automatic record facility? Have you tried both auto & non auto record?

What does it sound like when you replay a known good tape recorded on another machine?

Doffery
Old 8th Oct 2006, 9:06 am   #3
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
The fault is apparent on both manual and auto record, that said I largely suspect the fault to be a "playback only" fault and have now confirmed this by checking with a tape recorded on another machine as suggested.

Looking at the circuit around the volume control there is what appears to be a frequency correction network connected to two taps on the fixed part of the control; despite what I said previously about not suspecting that the control had a disconnected ground tag I am going to re-check as the frequency correction network would provide an alternative path to ground and (possibly) give the symptoms that I am experiencing if the control was "off ground"

As mentioned previously if anyone has experienced this fault please feel free to comment

Andrew
Old 8th Oct 2006, 3:45 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
The fault was traced to nothing more than dry joints and a piece of broken print on the PCB which houses the three slider controls. Volume is now operating correctly.

Andrew
Closed Thread