UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2006, 8:41 pm   #21
roger_a
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Akai 4000DS

Hello Roger, this is Roger.

the question of attaching pics has been discussed here.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ht=attachments

Hope that helps Roger, from Roger.

PS. I've always wanted to say that
from Roger (G7JAQ, an amateur) ROGER, ROGER over and out
Old 1st Sep 2006, 8:46 pm   #22
reelguy
Heptode

Roger,
You have a PM.
Peter W Reelguy
Old 1st Sep 2006, 8:57 pm   #23
roger_a
Retired Dormant Member

Which ROGER?, from ROGER
Old 2nd Sep 2006, 12:48 pm   #24
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_a View Post
Hello Roger, this is Roger.

the question of attaching pics has been discussed here.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ht=attachments

Hope that helps Roger, from Roger.

PS. I've always wanted to say that
from Roger (G7JAQ, an amateur) ROGER, ROGER over and out
Thanks for the pointer Roger. I shall investigate. ... and before this Roger/Roger thing gets out of hand I think I shall change my name to Brenda.
Old 13th Sep 2006, 11:51 am   #25
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenium View Post
I have established that the problem with my Akai 4000DS is a shattered Cam casting on the Forward/record control. Does anyone if I can obtain this part from anywhere.

Ian
OOHER Missus!! If the casting has a 'clean' break as in its not in several pieces it can be patched with Araldite epoxy resin, this stuff will hold ANYTHING ...including my dads fridge door that is always overloaded, I would reccomend taking out said part and aralditing it ,leave it for 48 hous to fully cure then pop it back in making sure none of the epoxy has blobed anywhere, if this is the case simple use a fine file or light grade of wet and dry paper hope this helps....
Old 21st Sep 2006, 1:17 pm   #26
ben
Dekatron

on a related note, I have recently acquired my first 4000 unit, a 4000db with worn heads. however, before I look for replacements I would like to clarify one thing. Compared to other r2rs i have used, the backtension on the supply reel appears to me to be excessive - the spool is rather stiff in playback- and I think this could have accelearated the wear. That said, this unit has no pressure pads to keep the tape in good contact with the head, thus relying on a certain amount of backtension and I have no experience of this model...any thoughts?
regards, Ben-
Old 21st Sep 2006, 7:01 pm   #27
PaulR
Dekatron

Hi Ben,

I have had a 4000DS from new and the tension on playback has always been high, I assume due to the lack of pressure pads as you suggest.

This has always been a source of trouble as the tension on rewind is very slack leaving the tape loosely wound. This often leads to a juddering on play or record as the tape on the feed spool slips round to tighten the tension. In fact I took the original one I bought back to the shop as I assumed it was a fault, but the replacement was exactly the same.

I haven't used it for years now, but when I did I had either to run the tape through on play or rub my finger on the feed spool on rewind to get the tension right if I wanted to make a recording I wanted to keep.

There was a Sony R2R available at the same time with auto reverse, but you could never get as much discount on it as you could with the Akai. Nevertheless I often wished I had saved a bit longer for the Sony.

Paul

Paul
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 3:03 am   #28
ben
Dekatron

Paul, thanks for the reply. Makes a lot of sense.
Along with numerous tandbergs and philips, a grundig tk 248 and a sony tc 675 I have an older Akai x-355 cross field, auto reverse, logic controlled. Compared to the 4000 , that machine is streets ahead in terms of design, sound, ease of use etc. even though it is from 1966 and weighs a ton! all electronic, cross field, soft touch controls....

Don't know why people rave about the 4000, especially as you mention that annoying tape slippage and backtension issue. plus the horrible clunky mechanical controls, the messing around changing the sleeve to alter the speed, (even in 1974 most manufacturers had a switch to do this!) and let's not forget the cam in the deck which tends to shatter). Just seems inferior to nearly all the other decks I own.

regards, -B.

Last edited by Kat Manton; 22nd Sep 2006 at 4:49 am. Reason: Unnecessary Quoting
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 10:09 am   #29
PaulR
Dekatron

I couldn't agree more, Ben. I saved for ages to get it as well!

Akai was a well known name for tape machines at the time, but I think they must heave ben relying on reputation alone. I later bought one of their video recorders - and that was rubbish as well!

Paul
Old 22nd Sep 2006, 7:39 pm   #30
Bob955i
Retired Dormant Member

I've got two of the later GX-4000D decks and I couldn't get the back tension set properly on either of them so I could play both 5" reels and 7" as the manual claims they can.

In the end, I adjusted one for 5" and smaller reels and the other for 7" only.

You adjust the slipping clutch by fitting or removing/repositioning spacers on the axle - this works up to a point but it's no substitute for a proper 3-motor setup.
Closed Thread