UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2006, 8:47 pm   #1
Michael Maurice

Default Akai 4000d Pro

Found this on fleabay, looks very good, never seen one before. Should interest collectors.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MakeTrack=true
Old 15th Sep 2006, 9:19 pm   #2
reelguy
Heptode

Default Re: Akai 4000d Pro

Its a bit unusual in having 15 ips, But still needing to change a collar to
change speed.
looks like it still only takes 7" inch tapes also. Weird
Apart from that not much different to an ordinary 4000D.
Peter W Reelguy
Old 15th Sep 2006, 9:58 pm   #3
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Quite right Peter, nothing unusual apart from the 15 ips & half track , possibly the reason for it's rarity !"!!

Doffery
Old 15th Sep 2006, 10:12 pm   #4
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

I spotted it too. Looks like a genuine article, although I've never seen or even heard of one before.

7" reels at 15 ips

Think I'll save my pennies and wait for a GX4000DS.

Roger.
Old 15th Sep 2006, 10:27 pm   #5
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Roger,

Be careful with the GX4000's , don't be fooled with the hi performance heads, the preamp transistors give a great deal of trouble as I can testify, the 4000DS is in my humble opinion a better machine.

Doffery
Old 15th Sep 2006, 11:03 pm   #6
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

That seller and I go back a bit, we know each other and email often, he had two of these machines, very rare and sort after though I would not pay that much for an Akai though if he has serviced it you can guarantee its 100% working. These have different meters, different case, and different tape path and from what I have heard, different electronics.
Old 16th Sep 2006, 10:08 am   #7
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOFFERY View Post
Hi Roger,

Be careful with the GX4000's , don't be fooled with the hi performance heads, the preamp transistors give a great deal of trouble as I can testify, the 4000DS is in my humble opinion a better machine.

Doffery
Hi Doffery.

Thanks for the tip - I wasn't aware. You get the impression they're some sort of Holy Grail.

I would be thinking hard before buying one anyway, as I have a hankering for a Sony TC377 for the collection and eventually one of those lovely big beasties from Sony/Technics/Pioneer et al. Just have trouble justifying the expense when I really need a new car.

All the best,

Roger.
Old 19th Sep 2006, 6:31 pm   #8
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Roger,
377 is a very good GP machine but it does have troubles, especially if you have an amplifier fault, a very difficult machine to service on that score. Re. your requirements for a car, my grandson has just grown too large for his "racing" car, might need some servicing , any use

Doffery
Old 19th Sep 2006, 6:35 pm   #9
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOFFERY View Post
Hi Roger,
377 is a very good GP machine but it does have troubles, especially if you have an amplifier fault, a very difficult machine to service on that score. Re. your requirements for a car, my grandson has just grown too large for his "racing" car, might need some servicing , any use

Doffery
Hi.

Thanks for the tip. Will have to pass on the 'racing car' though. I already have a Morris 1000 in the drive which I hadn't set out to buy.
Closed Thread