UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2006, 12:20 am   #21
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Scanning Project

My Epson came with a piece of software called PageManager which is supposed to be a document management package. It's fairly flakey, but it does allow you to keep scanning with the scanner driver open and it saves all the files as you go for you.

The files are actually saved as PCX files in a folder below My Documents with odd filenames, but the names are sequential and you can move them into folders within PageManager. For our purposes, simply copying those folders/files to CD would be adequate.

Unfortunately you have to pay for it if it isn't bundled, and at £43 it isn't cheap. See http://uk.newsoft.eu.com/

There is probably some scan-to-file shareware/freeware out there, it's just a matter of finding it. You probably need to look at "document management" software. I found this one on download.com http://www.download.com/Docsvault-Ho...ml?tag=lst-0-7 which might do the job. It's freeware. The description includes "With built-in scanning support, users can quickly convert paper documents directly into multi-page PDF files as well as other formats."

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 19th Mar 2006, 3:31 pm   #22
peter_scott
Dekatron

Thanks for that Paul. Docsvault does look pretty useful although it appears to offer a best resolution of 300 dpi and I'm not sure what settings it chooses when its not using Twain. It's also a little scary in that it doesn't like to tell you where its repository is located.

Thanks,

Peter.
Old 19th Mar 2006, 10:33 pm   #23
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I plan to download it and have a play with it in due course. Hopefully I can find a suitable freeware or cheap shareware program that we can all use to make transferring data and "how to" discussions easier.

The 300DPI may be a limitation of the free version - but the other version is rather expensive.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 23rd Apr 2006, 4:38 pm   #24
igranic
Rest in Peace

I am probably a little late with this suggestion (and expounding the obvious!), but I find it really helpful when scanning old documents on thin paper where "print-through" can be a serious problem i.e. the print on the reverse side of page shows through in the scanned image.

The solution is a sheet of black card placed behind the page, this combined with careful adjustment of the scanner's threshold settings can almost entirely eliminate print through with both B&W and Greyscale scans.

I keep a pack of heavy duty black parchment card specially for this purpose; packs of ten or twenty sheets, both A4 and A3 are available from local office suppliers or art shops.

HTH
Closed Thread